Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 01:26 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,839,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
It's pointless to even go over, because in your statement alone you have already a predetermined opinion on the matter. As myself on the other hand, I am willing to acknowledge that both parties have both positives and negatives on their checklists when it comes to "what have you done for minorities" argument.
I really want to know,and I will change my mind if someone can post what the Republicans have done to encourage minorites to get off welfare. Telling people to not have babies and get married isn't enough. I want to see some actions,some bill they helped pass.
Other than that,its jus talk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 01:26 PM

2,239 posts, read 3,230,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
How did MLK make money off the poor and disadvantaged? It cost him his life. How did Medgar Evers cash in? He lost his life, too. I seem to recall a post around here the last few days that said you can't really believe anything you see on the Discovery Channel. I guess you missed that one.
Oh sorry, for not taking that advice.

Look, no one is perfect. Did the good outweigh the possible "bad". Sure it did.

No one said that everything expressed in the documentary was fact and law. It was interesting viewpoints of black educated men in the black community discussing black history and issues.

That's all. You believe what you want ok. The choice is yours.

Old 06-03-2012, 01:29 PM

2,239 posts, read 3,230,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I really want to know,and I will change my mind if someone can post what the Republicans have done to encourage minorites to get off welfare. Telling people to not have babies and get married isn't enough. I want to see some actions,some bill they helped pass.
Is cutting Pell Grants for College something was would encourage minorities to get off welfare. Wait, no...that can't help!

Also, people on here talk like welfare is so easy to get like in the 70s. You have to work. So ok...let's get the poor people off welfare and make them work. S

Well, it still kept everyone in poverty or VERY close to it. So, we still have a problem don't we. But, heck...let's cut Pell Grants! SMH.

Old 06-03-2012, 01:30 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,010,414 times
Quote:
I really want to know,and I will change my mind if someone can post what they had done to encourage minorites to get off welfare. Telling people to not have babies and get married isn't enough. I want to see some actions,some bill they helped pass.
LOL honestly...I think it is. One thing I whole heartedly agree with Larry Elder on is when he outlined the 3 things blacks at a financial and social disadvantage could do to make it easier on themselves...1) Graduate High School 2) Do not have any babes out of wedlock or before a certain age and 3) Stay away from crime. What was his argument? Do all 3 of the above and you should manage pretty well in life. I happen to agree with him. From personal experience with friends and family (all of whom are black) some of them chronically suffer in poverty from one of the above or a combination of them.

Old 06-03-2012, 01:32 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,318,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
Do you think Republicans care if poor people (who tend to be people of color), get an education or not. CUT PELL GRANTS!!! Who cares that poor kids won't be able to afford a college education! Then in the same breathe ask what poor people of color are doing to advance themselves. Can't win with them.
Ever heard of Affirmative Action?

Old 06-03-2012, 01:34 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,318,817 times
Quote:
Romney just said recently he would rather have people working than living in welfare.

Old 06-03-2012, 01:36 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
The majority of food stamp recipients are white, but these bigoted men seem to be incapable of comprehending the reality in America today.
percentage wise no they are not.

Conservatives seem to have a problem helping individuals and families in true need,
republicans donate more than democrats. (granted many republicans are conservative in name only but the writer probably doesn't know that)

Gingrich, Walsh and the majority of conservatives seem to pick and choose when they want the government's help and when they don't to suit their agenda.
Nailed it.

Old 06-03-2012, 01:37 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,133,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
There is a documentary from Discovery Channel called "What Black Men Think". They highly educated and successful black men break it down for the audience. And the mention that people who are the "leaders" of the black community are in for the money. They make money off white guilt. They depend on white guilt to get the donations and $$$.

They said who made them "leaders". No one elected them. VERY interesting and an eye opener.
Let me start off by saying that I haven’t seen the documentary. But the summary you provided is telling. At first glance your summary seems to label Jesse and Al types as being leaders of the black community. This opinion is flawed and sets the baseline that they’re interviewing people who aren’t part of the black community but people who are looking in from the outside. Most leaders in the community are neither rich nor famous. They are the reverends, bishops, black businessmen, and fathers who mentor young at risk youth, paint over graffiti on the weekends and invest in local teams, clubs and scholarships. There is little talk of white guilt outside of conservative circles. Most of the conversations are about self-responsibility, education, staying out of gangs and starting business in the community.

On a side note leaders are not elected politicians are elected. Leaders are at every level and they receive their status by actions, vision and respect.

Old 06-03-2012, 01:39 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,531,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Geez, how is it a racist statement? Look up the word racist in the dictionary.

Here are some facts for you about white vs blacks on welfare. I am sure I can find similar results for Hispanics and post them also. Especially with so many anchor babies in our country born from illegal alien Hispanics getting welfare.

There are more whites on welfare than blacks but percentage-wise there are more blacks on welfare than whites. It's also important to note that 24.7% of the black race lives below poverty line while only 8.6% of the white race does (as is stated here http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/se… ).
Can someone handle this post. Im so tired of breaking down the same lame post.

Old 06-03-2012, 01:39 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Ever heard of Affirmative Action?
And who is fighting that? The Dems or the GOP?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies