Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 10:13 AM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
No, we get it, you imagine that there are government employees getting paychecks but not doing any work.

FYI, the private sector pays pensions too.
sure they do, but the money isnt stolen from my paycheck to pay them.
see the diff?
I'm guessing you dont.

Old 06-04-2012, 10:19 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,199,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
see the diff?
I'm guessing you dont.
That is where you're completely wrong. When a government job gets sold out to the private FOR PROFIT sector, YOUR tax dollars are funneled over and spent for those private sector paychecks AND pensions

Old 06-04-2012, 10:27 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
If it is not the government's role to create jobs why do we have to listen to the constant wingnut drum beat about Obama not creating enough jobs?
but the government certainly has a role in it

regualtions and taxes play a big role in job creation/elimination

Old 06-04-2012, 10:28 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
see the diff?
I'm guessing you dont.
it actually costs the government (taxpayer) MORE for a private contractor than for a government employee

Old 06-04-2012, 10:36 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,199,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
it actually costs the government (taxpayer) MORE for a private contractor than for a government employee
Funny how that "for profit" thingie means there is a "return on investment" thingie that the private sector must deal with. Any time you're paying someone (INVESTORS AND SHAREHOLDERS) you're going to be at a competitive disadvantage to a government (NON PROFIT) entity. The only way a for profit can compete while paying the non productive investors with their hands out is to lower wages and benifits for the productive workers.

Last edited by buzzards27; 06-04-2012 at 10:44 AM..

Old 06-04-2012, 10:48 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,941,962 times
Quote:
If it is not the government's role to create jobs why do we have to listen to the constant wingnut drum beat about Obama not creating enough jobs?
On a related point, this is Rex Nutting on how the nation, public and private aren't investing in the future:

Investments in the future have dried up - MarketWatch
Quote:
WASHINGTON (MarketWatch) – When I was growing up in the 1960s and 1970s, the legacy of the Great Depression was everywhere: Dams, bridges, roads, airports, courthouses and even picnic areas and hiking trails. Leaders of that dire time — Democrats and Republicans — took advantage of the Depression to put millions of Americans back to work, building the infrastructure that we still rely on today
The fact is, we’re investing less than we were before the recession hit more than four years ago, not just in government money but in private money, as well.

Here are the facts, according to the Bureau of Economic Analysis: Government investments (in structures and in equipment) ramped up between 2007 and 2010, only to fall back to 2005 levels by early 2012. The trajectory for private-sector investments was the opposite — a collapse followed by a modest rebound — but they arrived in the same place: back at 2005 levels, some 6% lower than when the recession began.
Click to Play
Why summer is looking good for gas prices

As the summer driving season kicks in, lots of crude-oil inventory means an easier season for consumers. Spencer Jakab reports on Markets Hub. Photo: Getty Images.

Looking just at investments in structures (such as buildings, roads, mines, utilities and factories), private companies are investing no more today (in inflation-adjusted terms) than they were in late 1978, according to data from the BEA.

Old 06-04-2012, 11:30 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
GSA employees under IG investigation received $1.1M in bonuses - FederalNewsRadio.com

Government employee's at work.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:12 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
What I hear in this post is using the economic crisis as an excuse to do what conservatives always want to do, namely, cut the size of government. It isn't limited to the U.S. It's the same thing going on in the UK (video.)

By the way, cutting back on the number of government employees isn't always a good thing. Those employees perform a function, such as inspect the meat that you buy. In another sense, those employees are your customers and if you cut back on customers, you will lose your job.

Most of the jobs cut were local and state jobs. The president has little to no influence here, unless they start bailing out states, which I'm not in favor of.

Most of the government cuts have amounted to few, if any, cuts in programs or limits the effectiveness of government.

So it seems to me that if this means we are cutting needless jobs, that's a good thing.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:23 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Most of the jobs cut were local and state jobs. The president has little to no influence here, unless they start bailing out states, which I'm not in favor of.

Most of the government cuts have amounted to few, if any, cuts in programs or limits the effectiveness of government.

So it seems to me that if this means we are cutting needless jobs, that's a good thing.
When that happens to private payroll, we go thru a recessionary period and except for quick-buck beneficiaries and those with golden parachutes, the rest lose. More with less can be efficient, but it can also be ridiculous, overwhelming and generally counter-productive. I personally dealt with the nuisance as a project manager for one of the largest corporations in the USA.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:23 PM

4,255 posts, read 3,478,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post

Damn right it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies