Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 03:59 PM

461 posts, read 556,050 times

Advertisements

I was talking to a Syrian friend and I heard an interesting perspective on the ongoing conflict in Syria. She told me some of her relatives were among the first to protest last year against Bashar al-Assad. They were never for his removal, as, she says, Assad has done a good job keeping Syria internationally relevant and their economy relevant. But they had several demands that they hoped would be achieved. About a month or so after the protests started, Assad agreed to dialogue, and it looked like the protests were going to subside. However, with full Turkish, Saudi, Qatari, and American backing, the more radical elements of those who weren't fans of Assad began to receive arms. They disliked Assad for being pro-Iranian, anti-Saudi, and leading a secular regime. Her family moved back into supporting Assad wholeheartedly. She comes from a non-practicing Sunni family in Aleppo, a known majority pro-Assad town.

She told me Syria is divided, as Alawites, Christians, Shia, and secular Sunnis support Bashar al-Assad and more conservative, pro-Saudi, pro-Salafist Sunnis favor his removal. She claimed the majority supports the president. Upon hearing this, I did some research.

The Syrian rebels are cleansing Syrian Christians out of their homes:

Fides Service - ASIA/SYRIA - Abuse of the opposition forces, "ethnic cleansing" of Christians in Homs, where Jesuits remains

Fides Service - ASIA/SYRIA - Christians expelled from Hama

A Qatari poll (Qatar is known to be hostile in its opposition to Assad) finds most Syrians actually do favor Assad:

Most Syrians back President Assad

A video shows Al-Jazeera (a Qatari station) lying about protesters, claiming Syrian troops attacked them, while it was all an act:

EXPOSED: Lies About Rastan Protest "Shooting" - YouTube

This shocked me the most. The media is playing a dirty game with most viewers. The opposition crimes are never reported. Arab stations like Al-Jazeera are promoting political agendas. Meanwhile, Western media gets its news from the Syrian National Council, an opposition group, and thus, inevitably, reports a lot of exaggerated news and some flat-out lies.

Finally, she told me that the crimes of the rebels greatly outdo the crimes of Assad's troops. She insisted Syria's troops were not responsible for the vast majority of the crimes the international community claims they are. Recently, the massacre in Houla, which the international community has blamed "at least partially" on "pro-Assad militias" were actually committed by Syrian rebels to frame him. What's the indication? Apparently most of Houla's victims were from known families that support the government. Assad has nothing to gain from killing civilians. He needs all the support he can get.

I concluded I'd stop supporting this "uprising" in Syria. These rebels are using suicide bombings in civilian districts, killing innocents, forcing Christians out of their towns, and threatening a secular society in which no was ever discriminated on based on their beliefs. The alternative to Assad is scary.

Plus, you know something is fishy when Saudi Arabia of all nations is supporting a revolution. Democracy is definitely not the end goal.

So in choosing between the two evils, wouldn't it make more sense to back Assad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 04:28 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,264,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtual Insanity View Post
I was talking to a Syrian friend and I heard an interesting perspective on the ongoing conflict in Syria. She told me some of her relatives were among the first to protest last year against Bashar al-Assad. They were never for his removal, as, she says, Assad has done a good job keeping Syria internationally relevant and their economy relevant. But they had several demands that they hoped would be achieved. About a month or so after the protests started, Assad agreed to dialogue, and it looked like the protests were going to subside. However, with full Turkish, Saudi, Qatari, and American backing, the more radical elements of those who weren't fans of Assad began to receive arms. They disliked Assad for being pro-Iranian, anti-Saudi, and leading a secular regime. Her family moved back into supporting Assad wholeheartedly. She comes from a non-practicing Sunni family in Aleppo, a known majority pro-Assad town.

She told me Syria is divided, as Alawites, Christians, Shia, and secular Sunnis support Bashar al-Assad and more conservative, pro-Saudi, pro-Salafist Sunnis favor his removal. She claimed the majority supports the president. Upon hearing this, I did some research.

Fides Service - ASIA/SYRIA - Abuse of the opposition forces, "ethnic cleansing" of Christians in Homs, where Jesuits remains

A Qatari poll (Qatar is known to be hostile in its opposition to Assad) finds most Syrians actually do favor Assad:

A video shows Al-Jazeera (a Qatari station) lying about protesters, claiming Syrian troops attacked them, while it was all an act:

This shocked me the most. The media is playing a dirty game with most viewers. The opposition crimes are never reported. Arab stations like Al-Jazeera are promoting political agendas. Meanwhile, Western media gets its news from the Syrian National Council, an opposition group, and thus, inevitably, reports a lot of exaggerated news and some flat-out lies.

Finally, she told me that the crimes of the rebels greatly outdo the crimes of Assad's troops. She insisted Syria's troops were not responsible for the vast majority of the crimes the international community claims they are. Recently, the massacre in Houla, which the international community has blamed "at least partially" on "pro-Assad militias" were actually committed by Syrian rebels to frame him. What's the indication? Apparently most of Houla's victims were from known families that support the government. Assad has nothing to gain from killing civilians. He needs all the support he can get.

I concluded I'd stop supporting this "uprising" in Syria. These rebels are using suicide bombings in civilian districts, killing innocents, forcing Christians out of their towns, and threatening a secular society in which no was ever discriminated on based on their beliefs. The alternative to Assad is scary.

Plus, you know something is fishy when Saudi Arabia of all nations is supporting a revolution. Democracy is definitely not the end goal.

So in choosing between the two evils, wouldn't it make more sense to back Assad?
I don't understand Arabic but this demonstration sounds so much like something straight out of an Occupy group. Since I don't know what those people are chanting I have to wonder if soldiers can dress in civilian garb and then begin the shooting. That is what progressives would say about something like this with Occupiers.

I guess I won't take sides especially since your informant seems to have done that already.

Old 06-03-2012, 04:33 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,472,256 times
Quote:

Not my country.

[nothing to choose]

Old 06-03-2012, 04:37 PM

45,230 posts, read 26,431,296 times
Syria is none of America's business

Old 06-03-2012, 05:07 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,535,277 times
Quote:
No. It's a choice for the Syrians.

Old 06-03-2012, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
No. It's a choice for the Syrians.
Exactly, so what gives with President Obama, Senator McCain, and most western leaders coming out and attacking Assad, while remaining silent on the crimes of the opposition.

In addition, most indications point to the majority of Syrians supporting Assad. So isn't it a disrespectful move on the part of our leaders to call for his removal? It's like saying we don't respect what the Syrians want.

Old 06-03-2012, 05:50 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,562,431 times
Quote:

Thank you for trying to educate the people about what is really going on, we are being fed lies by the propoganda- media.
This is just another regime change on our march to eliminate Iran and control the middle east. I heard Webster G Tarpley talking about the Houla massacre being a fraud. He said some 800 death squads, from various sects killed some of these people elsewhere, kept them on ice, then dumped them at the opportune time.
The US has admitted to arming the rebels, along with help from Quatar, Jordan, and Saudi Arabia.

Houla false flag massacre - NATO's death squads responsible - YouTube
BBC Caught Red Handed In Syria Massacre Propaganda Hoax

Syria Hula Massacre, a CIA Death Squad False Flag Attack - YouTube

Old 06-03-2012, 06:06 PM

The US runs NATO, NATO is US.

Quote:
The strategy was simple, clear, tried and tested. It had been used successfully not only against Libya, but also Kosovo (in 1999), and was rapidly underway in Syria. It was to run as follows: train proxies to launch armed provocations; label the state’s response to these provocations as genocide; intimidate the UN Security Council into agreeing that “something must be done”; incinerate the army and any other resistance with fragmentation bombs and Hellfire missiles; and finally install a weak, compliant government to sign off new contracts and alliances drawn up in London, Paris and Washington, whilst the country tore itself apart.

Result: the heart torn out of the “axis of resistance” between Iran, Syria and Hizbullah, leaving Iran isolated and the West with a free hand to attack Iran without fear of regional repercussions.

This was to be Syria’s fate, drawn up years ago in the high- level planning committees of US, British and French defence departments and intelligence services. But this time, unlike in Libya, it has not all gone according to plan.
PEACE IN SYRIA: THE WEST’S GREATEST FEAR « Syria 360°

Old 06-04-2012, 12:42 AM

Check this out. People aren't being told the truth, but last week's Houla massacre, in which the UN first blamed the Syrian army before quickly switching their blame to "pro-Assad militias" even when they had zero evidence, apparently is the work of the Syrian rebels:

THE HOULA MASSACRE: Opposition Terrorists "Killed Families Loyal to the Government"

Old 06-04-2012, 01:22 AM

What is going on in Syria is so horrible. Similar to the farce that went on in Libya, only much worse with the bombings and starving the people out. That lasted a long 9 months, including a genocide against the blacks. I haven't kept up with Libya now, but I don't imagine things have improved for the people.

Back to Syria, by the way globalresearch is an excellent site! Glad you found it.I also like Mathaba.net, even tho they are a little too sympathetic to the Occupy movement.

Quote:
An honest individual has to ask, “Cui bono” ??? Who benefits from the exact timing of this so-called massacre? Is it to Syria's benefit to destroy the Annan peace plan? Certainly not. The Syrian government had no motive for this act...especially at a time when UN observers are in the country...and by the way, Syria invited them.
Is it to the benefit of the NATO / FUKUS, Zionist and terrorist element? It most certainly is.
It is not only hypocritical and criminal, but the absolute height of moral turpitude, demonic evil, heinous, repulsive lawlessness and arrogance on the part of the NATO / FUKUS and Zionist axis to go around financing, arming and instigating murderers and terrorists and then raising an indignant voice against these, their own crimes, trying to place the blame on the victims of these crimes.
The victims are dealt a double blow, of being the object of murder and violence and then being blamed for these actions as though they were responsible. And the bottom line is that there is no lower form of life than that which murders innocent children for their own benefit and profit.
The Syria deadly blame game

There have been numerous attempts to create false flag events in Syria, including shipping chemical weapons to the Turkish border to use on civilians and blame the Government – a plan which was picked up and mentioned by me in this column before it happened. And now we have the “massacre of Houla”, a village near Homs.
According to whom? For a start the Syrian authorities deny any involvement in such a massacre and sent a team to investigate, after admitting there was terrorist activity in the area. By terrorist activity read the new Western friends, Al-Qaeda. And after what the FUKUS Axis’ terrorists did in Libya – slicing the breasts off women in the streets, cutting the lips off black African detainees, torturing people to death, raping, torching people and property, and after discovering that a sizeable number of “Syrian” terrorists are in fact Libyan terrorists, who would put such an atrocity past these…people, especially since Al-Qaeda is involved (?) In fact, where does Western complicity end and how deeply are they covertly involved in this incident to drum up another false flag event to sponsor another nice little war?
Syria: Another Western false flag event?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies