Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 11:56 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
Then thats the fight ya should be fighting. Ya would have won by now.
If this is only about the word marriage, then why are states passing amendments to ban not only marriage, but civil unions, and domestic partnerships too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 11:58 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,478,526 times
How many have passed it as of now?

Old 06-04-2012, 12:06 PM

1,332 posts, read 994,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Civil unions do not have the same benefits as marriage, and are not recognized by the federal government.

BTW, religion does not own marriage. It was a civil function before it was a religious function.
Wrong...in the Catholic religion, marriage is a sacrament and has been forever.

I didn't say religion OWNED marriage....I was making a point that this isn't about 'rights'...it's about shoving religions face in the idea of bastardizing something that religious people hold dear...marriage. A big COUP for the left, who quite frankly, have shown over and over that they despise people of religion....or should I say CHRISTIANITY. They bend over backwards for muslims.

Civil unions are recognized at the state level and have the same rights in almost every state at this time.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
How many have passed it as of now?
Currently 19 states have constitutional bans on any type of same sex civil unions, and domestic partnership. 4 have statutes banning the same.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall_Rep View Post
Wrong...in the Catholic religion, marriage is a sacrament and has been forever.

I didn't say religion OWNED marriage....I was making a point that this isn't about 'rights'...it's about shoving religions face in the idea of bastardizing something that religious people hold dear...marriage. A big COUP for the left, who quite frankly, have shown over and over that they despise people of religion....or should I say CHRISTIANITY. They bend over backwards for muslims.

Civil unions are recognized at the state level and have the same rights in almost every state at this time.
If your church doesn't recognize same sex marriage, they don't have to preform the ceremony. Churches can already deny ceremonies to anyone who goes against their doctrine.

We are talking about civil marriage, from the court house, that can have ceremonies in the court house, or a willing church, or a park, or the beach, or the back yard. Churches are protected by the first amendment.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:19 PM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
And still a virgin!
good point. why a virgin starts so many marriage threads is very odd.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
good point. why a virgin starts so many marriage threads is very odd.
Maybe he's waiting until married to have sex. It really isn't your business.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:27 PM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Maybe he's waiting until married to have sex. It really isn't your business.
i'm allowed to wonder why a gay virgin spams the forum with dozens and dozens of gay marriage threads.

you're just going to have to learn to live with that.

Old 06-04-2012, 01:37 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,948,920 times
why do people who are anti gay brag about the fact that people vote down gay marriage?

I would say it's probably because it is what they believe is right.

Old 06-04-2012, 06:13 PM

3,709 posts, read 4,626,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
I don't believe i ever asked for a parade in my honor.. is that what straight people get when they get married?

what i want is for people to stop trying to destroy my legal relationship that is JUST AS VALID as yours.

another conservative that fails to take a civics class.

since marriage comes with GOVERNMENT RIGHTS and BENEFITS. it must be given to ALL EQUALLY.

as it stands right now straight people get 'special legal rights and benefits'.

also the act of voting on this is in and of itself constitutional. since a public vote can't violate the fourteenth amendment to the constitution.
Another liberal that failed to study logic during all of his liberal arts studies. You will have to explain why, for instance, all adults living in a commune should not be considered married if they choose, with all the rights given to a "gay spouse"? They would all be eligible for group health coverage, group life coverage, spousal benefits (if only one of them worked!)

How do they differ from your silly idiosyncrasy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies