U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 11:44 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,215,595 times

Advertisements

It's a MUTE point to the issue.

they must now KNOW that we live in a CONSTITUTIONAL republic, not a democracy.

they also must KNOW that VOTING on the rights a minority while YOURS are not being voted on isn't constitutional.

So are they bragging about the fact that a lot of states have done something that isn't legally valid?

or are they bragging about the fact that apparently MILLIONS of americans haven't taken a basic government class in high school to know that what they're doing isn't constitutional?

Also these people must not know that there are cities and states that would vote down rights for black people and various other minoritis. Is that something to BRAG ABOUT?

that's WHY we live in a constitutional republic. don't these people understand that.

In other words 31 states have done something that isn't valid.

were most of the people voting on this GAY since it had to do with GAY MARRIAGE?

or where they Straight... if they were straight it wouldn't be any of their business to VOTE on since it's not THEIR marriage rights that were at stake
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 04:24 AM

3,482 posts, read 4,020,971 times
Nowhere does the Constitution guarantee that the government will publicly recognize, sanction, or fund all actions. What you do in private is perfectly o.k., but don't expect a parade in your honor just because you think you should have one.

Old 06-04-2012, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishvanguard View Post
Nowhere does the Constitution guarantee that the government will publicly recognize, sanction, or fund all actions. What you do in private is perfectly o.k., but don't expect a parade in your honor just because you think you should have one.
I don't believe i ever asked for a parade in my honor.. is that what straight people get when they get married?

what i want is for people to stop trying to destroy my legal relationship that is JUST AS VALID as yours.

another conservative that fails to take a civics class.

since marriage comes with GOVERNMENT RIGHTS and BENEFITS. it must be given to ALL EQUALLY.

as it stands right now straight people get 'special legal rights and benefits'.

also the act of voting on this is in and of itself constitutional. since a public vote can't violate the fourteenth amendment to the constitution.

Old 06-04-2012, 04:35 AM

Default if marriage isn't a right and it's a privilege, how does a gay person gain this priviledge?

since all straight people have to do is simply be born straight to do it and can marry someone they don't even love that they've known for one minutes,

I fail to understand.

Do straight people think they're BETTER than gay people?

if so, on what basis do they think so?

so if someone is born a certain way they don't get this 'privilege?'

if something is a privilege than doesn't someone have to actually DO SOMETHING to EARN IT? being born heterosexual isn't EARNING something, it's an accident of birth.

so i guess gay people have to die and be reborn differently then. that seems fair.. NOT.

Old 06-04-2012, 05:18 AM

4,260 posts, read 2,976,871 times
Its a political victory. People brag about all victorys. Dosnt metter if its their team winning the superbowl or something like gay marriage.

Old 06-04-2012, 05:24 AM

10,586 posts, read 10,776,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
since all straight people have to do is simply be born straight to do it and can marry someone they don't even love that they've known for one minutes,

I fail to understand.

Do straight people think they're BETTER than gay people?

if so, on what basis do they think so?

so if someone is born a certain way they don't get this 'privilege?'
Straight people do not think they are better human beings than gay people. Straight people DO think that their form of sex is BETTER than what gay men do. It is not about the people ....it is about how straight people envision gay sex..Seeing gay men do not have a vagina and in some cases resort to anal intercourse turns people off - They think that in comparison to straight sex - gay sex is dirty- unclean and unhealthy. I believe at the core it is this aspect that make straight people feel superior.

We really don't know yet if gays are "born a certain way" no one is one hundred percent sure why some people are fascinated and attracted by the same sex..as for "privilege" - I don't thing that marriage is that...marriage basically is a state licence to breed...it's been colored up as something more but for a thousand years that is what really is...for instance common law unions are just as relevant but lack social status..common law unions are still looked down upon even if the couple have been together for 30 years---where as a formal marriage that is 10 days old is considered higher class...That I don't get.

The other part that I do not get is why gays want to marry and lose their freedoms...Once they are married- the government and the courts have total control over them..why would you want that? If a person wants legal rights- a good lawyer can draw up and agreement..I do agree that a gay couple who have been together for life- should be entitled to certain benefits that a straight spouse would get.

This same sex marriage thing has an element of immaturity too it. It reminds me of kids that want to play a game of pretend- Gay couples are NOT like their parents...or grandparents..They will never fully mimic the institution of marriage. The REAL rights they should seek are legal ones..the term marriage is ancient...it is a Latin word that means HUSBAND.

Husband has an original meaning. It once meant the head of a house hold...a tiller of the soil..a thrifty manager of resources...the husband of a wife...It was an agricultural term...Literally it meant that the husband was the planter of the seeds and the woman was the the earth.. who then put forth product in the form of a crop called off spring - children.

To put it simply marriage was a very practical down to earth idea..It was about breeding....all of these other fancy things like white gowns..status- money - security- respect from society- were all add ons over the centuries.

I would say that if a man and woman who can not or have never want to have children- who get married are NOT really married but exactly like gay couples. Their sexual activity does not produce human product.

Maybe it would be wise to study straight childless couples who are formally married and fashion gay unions after that..That would be practical and realistic..But of course some gays and lesbians are going to insist that they can have children too even if they can not have them naturally- conception through science is not natural and adoption is not done through nature.

The base of resentment of gay marriage may be in this fact..That they not only want exact formal unions like straights but they will ALSO expect and want the real privilege of having children.

Getting married is not a privilege- any chump can do it. Having kids and raising them is a great gift and privilege.

So this debate hovers over the fact and question - that is not so much about how gay marriage will changed society- but what sort of children will be the results of these unions in the future!

What will thousands of adult children who are the results of gay marriage be like- How will they perceive the family unit? How will they perceive marriage?

When you hear the fear in the straight world- that concern should not be focused on todays effects- but the effect that will be seen in the near future.

Will adult children of gays be like straight parents - or will they be different? Will they look at marriage as a true institution? What types of marriages will they themselves enter into- These are all mysterious questions that have not been addressed...Will these adult kids be conservative in their thinking- or will it be a populace that lives by the rule- there are no rules and anything goes..

Forget about what is happening today and the bitterness and hate and fear....It is tomorrow that is the real concern.

Marriage as we know it is and has been for centuries the basic building block of society- to alter this base..makes you wonder what the future will build on...That is the real question.

Old 06-04-2012, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
Its a political victory. People brag about all victorys. Dosnt metter if its their team winning the superbowl or something like gay marriage.
but they're not winning anything. actually they're losing, since some american families are destroyed legally and hurt

their own families wouldn't have been affected in any way.

Old 06-04-2012, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Straight people do not think they are better human beings than gay people. Straight people DO think that their form of sex is BETTER than what gay men do. It is not about the people ....it is about how straight people envision gay sex..Seeing gay men do not have a vagina and in some cases resort to anal intercourse turns people off - They think that in comparison to straight sex - gay sex is dirty- unclean and unhealthy. I believe at the core it is this aspect that make straight people feel superior.

We really don't know yet if gays are "born a certain way" no one is one hundred percent sure why some people are fascinated and attracted by the same sex..as for "privilege" - I don't thing that marriage is that...marriage basically is a state licence to breed...it's been colored up as something more but for a thousand years that is what really is...for instance common law unions are just as relevant but lack social status..common law unions are still looked down upon even if the couple have been together for 30 years---where as a formal marriage that is 10 days old is considered higher class...That I don't get.

The other part that I do not get is why gays want to marry and lose their freedoms...Once they are married- the government and the courts have total control over them..why would you want that? If a person wants legal rights- a good lawyer can draw up and agreement..I do agree that a gay couple who have been together for life- should be entitled to certain benefits that a straight spouse would get.

This same sex marriage thing has an element of immaturity too it. It reminds me of kids that want to play a game of pretend- Gay couples are NOT like their parents...or grandparents..They will never fully mimic the institution of marriage. The REAL rights they should seek are legal ones..the term marriage is ancient...it is a Latin word that means HUSBAND.

Husband has an original meaning. It once meant the head of a house hold...a tiller of the soil..a thrifty manager of resources...the husband of a wife...It was an agricultural term...Literally it meant that the husband was the planter of the seeds and the woman was the the earth.. who then put forth product in the form of a crop called off spring - children.

To put it simply marriage was a very practical down to earth idea..It was about breeding....all of these other fancy things like white gowns..status- money - security- respect from society- were all add ons over the centuries.

I would say that if a man and woman who can not or have never want to have children- who get married are NOT really married but exactly like gay couples. Their sexual activity does not produce human product.

Maybe it would be wise to study straight childless couples who are formally married and fashion gay unions after that..That would be practical and realistic..But of course some gays and lesbians are going to insist that they can have children too even if they can not have them naturally- conception through science is not natural and adoption is not done through nature.

The base of resentment of gay marriage may be in this fact..That they not only want exact formal unions like straights but they will ALSO expect and want the real privilege of having children.

Getting married is not a privilege- any chump can do it. Having kids and raising them is a great gift and privilege.

So this debate hovers over the fact and question - that is not so much about how gay marriage will changed society- but what sort of children will be the results of these unions in the future!

What will thousands of adult children who are the results of gay marriage be like- How will they perceive the family unit? How will they perceive marriage?

When you hear the fear in the straight world- that concern should not be focused on todays effects- but the effect that will be seen in the near future.

Will adult children of gays be like straight parents - or will they be different? Will they look at marriage as a true institution? What types of marriages will they themselves enter into- These are all mysterious questions that have not been addressed...Will these adult kids be conservative in their thinking- or will it be a populace that lives by the rule- there are no rules and anything goes..

Forget about what is happening today and the bitterness and hate and fear....It is tomorrow that is the real concern.

Marriage as we know it is and has been for centuries the basic building block of society- to alter this base..makes you wonder what the future will build on...That is the real question.
being gay isn't a choice, if gay i fail to see how you would want to have a 'straight marriage'.

so you're saying it's better to show those children that their parents are second class citizens?

if you're born straight marriage wouldn't change for you at all!

Old 06-04-2012, 05:42 AM

20,976 posts, read 16,272,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
It's a MUTE point to the issue.

they must now KNOW that we live in a CONSTITUTIONAL republic, not a democracy.

they also must KNOW that VOTING on the rights a minority while YOURS are not being voted on isn't constitutional.

So are they bragging about the fact that a lot of states have done something that isn't legally valid?

or are they bragging about the fact that apparently MILLIONS of americans haven't taken a basic government class in high school to know that what they're doing isn't constitutional?

Also these people must not know that there are cities and states that would vote down rights for black people and various other minoritis. Is that something to BRAG ABOUT?

that's WHY we live in a constitutional republic. don't these people understand that.

In other words 31 states have done something that isn't valid.

were most of the people voting on this GAY since it had to do with GAY MARRIAGE?

or where they Straight... if they were straight it wouldn't be any of their business to VOTE on since it's not THEIR marriage rights that were at stake
We the People have the right to keep the definition and tradition of marriage as one man and one woman. Straight OR gay!

Old 06-04-2012, 05:49 AM

20,332 posts, read 10,454,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
We the People have the right to keep the definition and tradition of marriage as one man and one woman. Straight OR gay!
For you, it would be one man one woman. Each couple defines their marriage. What your neighbor does has no bearing on your marriage.

And, which tradition of marriage. The one man one woman as equals is relatively new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies