Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 02:25 PM

30,893 posts, read 36,937,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It may not be cool in mormon circles if they shoot for the highest level, or even god-hood and own planet, but I think the fact that they believe in universal salvation for non-mormons, it makes it easier for them to condone sin in others.
That last statement simply isn't accurate. Mormons DO NOT believe in universal salvation for non-Mormons. The believe everyone will be judged according to their works. They also believe everyone will have the opportunity to "receive the gospel" (aka the whole truth) if not in this life, then in the next. Those who still reject "the gospel" after receiving it in death essentially condemn themselves (a very small percentage of people). The rest will go to various levels of heaven based on their works on this earth, (their upbringing obviously being a mitigating circumstance).

I really wish people would get their facts straight before they go off on stuff they don't know anything about.

Old 06-05-2012, 03:58 PM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
That last statement simply isn't accurate. Mormons DO NOT believe in universal salvation for non-Mormons. The believe everyone will be judged according to their works. They also believe everyone will have the opportunity to "receive the gospel" (aka the whole truth) if not in this life, then in the next. Those who still reject "the gospel" after receiving it in death essentially condemn themselves (a very small percentage of people). The rest will go to various levels of heaven based on their works on this earth, (their upbringing obviously being a mitigating circumstance).

I really wish people would get their facts straight before they go off on stuff they don't know anything about.
I have been told by a mormon that 99.9999% of humanity will be saved either in this life, or in the afterlife and only those who are guilty of blasphemy against the holy spirit are lost forever. So, are you saying this is not accurate? How can I believe anything they say when one mormon tells me one thing, and another tells me something else?

Old 06-05-2012, 04:29 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
It doesn't have anything to do with marriage, and everything to do with approving homosexuality. These 300 people sent a message to the nation that mormons approve gay sex, and I think they did it in order to get some gays to vote for Romney.
You're funny, Finn.

Old 06-05-2012, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
You're funny, Finn.
What is your take on the 99.99% salvation ratio (either in this life, or next)? Isn't that what mormons believe?

Old 06-05-2012, 05:03 PM

Quote:
I have been told by a mormon that 99.9999% of humanity will be saved either in this life, or in the afterlife and only those who are guilty of blasphemy against the holy spirit are lost forever.
That is correct. All will not be given the same reward, though.

Old 06-05-2012, 05:05 PM

Quote:
What is your take on the 99.99% salvation ratio (either in this life, or next)? Isn't that what mormons believe?
I don't know how accurate the 99.99% is. It might be 99.9% or 99.999%. But you've got the general idea. We believe that Jesus Christ atoned for the sins of all who accept Him as their Savior, repent of their wrongdoings and are faithful to Him (either in this life or prior to Christ's Second Coming). Those who, at that time, still reject Him and His offer of grace, will be made to pay for their own sins by suffering punishment that will last throughout the 1000-years of the Millennium. At that time, they will ultimately recognize Him as the One who could have redeemed them had they been willing to let Him. They will then be given a lesser reward, but will not be expected to suffer any longer.

Old 06-05-2012, 05:36 PM

Quote:
That is correct. All will not be given the same reward, though.
Thanks. That's what I thought you told me one time.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:55 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,537,226 times
Quote:
Good grief. Most of these people probably aren't voting for Romney themselves. You seem to be missing the point entirely. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints takes the position that homosexual behavior is sinful and that marriage should be between a man and a woman only. The 300 individuals who marched in the gay parade are practicing Mormons who disagree with their Church's stance on the issue of same-sex marriage. "The Church" has not had "a change of heart" nor does it have "a motive," but "the Church" is comprised of individual human beings, each of whom has a God-given right to follow his or her own conscience. Had I known about this group prior to the parade, I'd have marched with them. I am LDS, straight, and a left-leaning independent who plans to vote for Obama. I'd be willing to guess that most of the 300 people who did march, would describe themselves pretty much as I do. Some of us are actually able to recognize that even if we don't necessarily approve of someone's lifestyle, we do believe that all law-abiding American citizens should have the same rights under the laws of the land.
Sorry, I should have said Mormon group and instead wrote church.
I do know the difference.
As someone already said, this is taking baby steps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Aaah yes, those mystical sky people have now built themselves a 12 story condo development and of course everyone wants a penthouse!

Why can't people simply behave in their daily lives and interactions with others as they would expect from other people without all of this mystical hooey invented by man to control mankind?
I'm good for goodness sake.
(Because I know Santa is always watching me.)

Old 06-05-2012, 11:13 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
How can I believe anything they say when one mormon tells me one thing, and another tells me something else?
Well, that basically summarizes every religious debate ever! LOL

Old 06-06-2012, 01:14 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,189,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
There seems to be this assumption among some that being openly gay is some kind of easy and fun path that requires no difficult decisions or gut wrenching trade offs. Nothing could be further from the truth.
We all are faced with various lusts and temptations. You are not unique in that respect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies