Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 02:21 PM

2,162 posts, read 3,365,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwolf fan View Post
Yup, she was complaining how the government is holding her back by not giving her free money to keep going to college beyond 6 years.

If spending $47,000 in student loans didn't land her a job, why throw good money after bad ?
Exactly. Apparently, few folks are understanding this basic argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 02:23 PM

226 posts, read 213,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Ah, I don't have integrity.
And you know this how?
Proven liar? Mirror check required. And you can say this with what knowledge of me?

BFD, I'm a vet, what does that mean?
It means that I joined the military. It means nothing else, and I deserve nothing else from the job I applied for and worked at for the period of my enlistment.

You're the one who said it makes people grow up and gives them skills and that we should pay for it so their parents won't have to.
So you agree that it's welfare.

Luckily, I got out before it became life long welfare.
And I had a degree before I enlisted.

But go ahead and try to slander me.
I guess that's your way.
No that's your way. You know people can see your posts, right?
That's all you do.

Old 06-04-2012, 02:53 PM

415 posts, read 615,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwolf fan View Post
Yesterday I read a news story about a single mother complaining that she was no longer eligible for a Pell Grant due to recent eligibility changes.

One of those changes was a student could not have already attended college for over 6 years and still be eligible for a Pell Grant

Seems this single mother has attended college for 6 years , has $47,000 student loan debt and still wants more time in college with taxpayer money funding it.
Since I already had this discussion with my college's financial aid office I think I should clarify on this. Eligibility was changed from 18 to 12 full-time semesters. To lose her pell grant eligibility, she would have had to have gone to college full-time for 12 semesters (6 years) and been eligible for a pell grant for each of those semesters.

I work full-time and go to school part-time, and did not qualify for the pell grant until I was 25, so even though I have loans from when I was younger, and have gone to college for longer than six years (albeit in my case I've been part-time or less because I work) I still qualify for pell grants.

I'm torn on how I feel about this but many years ago it was found in Utah that some guys were at Utah State and USU's financial aid office was not compliant with the law in regards to financial aid, and they had guys going there who had taken every course the college ever offered, were living off of pell grants and squandering school resources. One guy alone had used somewhere around $100,000 worth of pell grants and scholarships and was still receiving aid from the college. This law does kick students who take longer to get degrees, and given the cost of college, there are more students than ever who are taking longer. I'm taking longer because I work and then go to school.

Old 06-04-2012, 03:16 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,538,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
You can receive pell grants all the way through college if you need to, or at least thats the way it used to be.

Most pell grants don't pay for full college, even an associates degree. They help to pay the tuition, but generally you've still got to take out student loans to pay for the rest of your tuition, school supplies, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
That is certainly possible for a single person, living at home or even on campus, but this particular woman has a child. That could influence how long it will take her to get a degree.

And, by the way, a Pell grant doesn't even come close to providing 'FREE' education, as the OP suggested!
I'm quite sure that Pell grants don't come close to paying for free education now.
This was not the case back in the mid 70s. I entered college in the fall of '76. I received a Pell grant of $700.00 twice a year. Tuition was a whopping $35.00 PER SEMESTER - one credit or twelve! Books were usually found used for less than $30. each. I can honestly say I went to college free thanks to Pell grants.

I honestly believe the government needs to get out of the college grant and loan program. When the government offers to pay, the schools raise tuition.
It boggles my mind that it costs $35.00+ for ONE credit now. Massive inflation especially in the community colleges.

Old 06-04-2012, 03:25 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Is this what she's whining about??

"Reduction in the Maximum Number of Semesters:
Students currently may receive a maximum of 18 full-time semesters of Pell Grant awards. Starting on July 1, 2012, this will be reduced to 12 full-time semesters, and it will retroactively impact students who currently receive Pell and have exceeded 12 semesters. For students who are less-than full-time, the cap is applied proportionally to their enrollment. As a result, about 63,000 recipients will not receive an average award of $3,905 in 2012-13."

http://www.acct.org/pell%20eligibili...%20omnibus.pdf
18 full time semesters at 12 credits per semester is 216 credits..a 4 year degree twice over !!! (120 for a 4 year degree)

What types of classes are these people taking that they need 18 full time semesters ?

The 12 full time semesters at 12 credits per semester 144 credits..still over what a 4 year degree requires.

Old 06-04-2012, 03:28 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,009,771 times
Just about anyone can afford college these days, so there's no excuse. It only really becomes a problem when people refuse to look at the cheaper options available to them aand get caught up attending these overpriced "dream schools."

Old 06-04-2012, 03:30 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust Bowl View Post
I didn't say that I didn't like your comments. I said that you obviously didn't learn some of the main tenants of the military, or specifically, integrity.

You previously lied about your past military service. What good would it do for me to engage in a conversation with you when you are a proven liar?

And I find it perplexing that you said, military members learn "simple skills."

To me this implies that you have very little respect for service members, despite claiming to be a veteran yourself.
I am a vet and although I may disagree with some of Chielgirl's view points I will never argure the fact that she earned the right to have them and express them.
In fact I would argue that anyone who sought to deny her that right is simply unamerican.
I do believe that Chiel served her country just as I did. She may not have the scars from bullet holes that I do, she may never have fired a weapon for her country, this does not however lesson her right to have her opinions.
I am sick to death of so-called vets questioning others or attempting to shut them up. Chiel earned her right and she has earned this former snipers respect.

Old 06-04-2012, 04:09 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlottePirate05 View Post
No that's your way. You know people can see your posts, right?
That's all you do.
Who have I called a liar?
Who have I slandered?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust Bowl View Post
I didn't say that I didn't like your comments. I said that you obviously didn't learn some of the main tenants of the military, or specifically, integrity.

You previously lied about your past military service. What good would it do for me to engage in a conversation with you when you are a proven liar?

And I find it perplexing that you said, military members learn "simple skills."

To me this implies that you have very little respect for service members, despite claiming to be a veteran yourself.
Maybe because I didn't say that. Can you show me where I did.
Nope, why should I respect military members more than anyone else? They took a job, that does nothing to earn respect any more than someone flipping burgers, or any other profession or job.
It was their choice, they get a paycheck.

Last edited by chielgirl; 06-04-2012 at 04:17 PM..

Old 06-04-2012, 04:43 PM

415 posts, read 615,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
Just about anyone can afford college these days, so there's no excuse. It only really becomes a problem when people refuse to look at the cheaper options available to them aand get caught up attending these overpriced "dream schools."
They can? Really? Have you not heard about all the tuition hikes? The community college I just left behind in Utah is now $1536 a semester full-time, and that does not include books or parking permit. It is now over $3,000 a year just to attend the community college if you live in Salt Lake City, UT. And that's just the tuition. And from what my relatives back east tell me...SLCC is a bargain. Which is just sick.

The community colleges here in California are far cheaper, but good luck getting into any classes, and even here they keep raising the tuition.

Dream colleges my butt. Even the state run schools are getting out of hand. Even the trade schools are getting out of hand! My brother tried the tech college only to get waitlisted! And the states keep cutting the trade schools too.

Even worse, with the lack of jobs, the poor pay in the service sector, and the cuts to financial aid, how is one supposed to pay for it?

Old 06-04-2012, 05:21 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,009,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suissegrl702 View Post
They can? Really? Have you not heard about all the tuition hikes? The community college I just left behind in Utah is now $1536 a semester full-time, and that does not include books or parking permit. It is now over $3,000 a year just to attend the community college if you live in Salt Lake City, UT. And that's just the tuition. And from what my relatives back east tell me...SLCC is a bargain. Which is just sick.

The community colleges here in California are far cheaper, but good luck getting into any classes, and even here they keep raising the tuition.

Dream colleges my butt. Even the state run schools are getting out of hand. Even the trade schools are getting out of hand! My brother tried the tech college only to get waitlisted! And the states keep cutting the trade schools too.

Even worse, with the lack of jobs, the poor pay in the service sector, and the cuts to financial aid, how is one supposed to pay for it?

The employment issue is a separate animal...

But perhaps it's my location or my gravitation towards being a snob, but $1500 per semester or $3000 per year plus extra expenses for books and fees sounds affordable. Not to mention that if you have payment plans in place where you can pay a few hundred a month, it seems completely feasable.

Schools such as thes can be paid for out of pocket...so utilize them...

Cheapest Universities (Lowest Tuition, In-State) | College Stats.org

While staying away from these...

25 Most Expensive Colleges and Universities
  1. Sarah Lawrence College (NY) $59,170
  2. Landmark College (VT) $57,330
  3. New York University $56,787
  4. Columbia U. School of Gen. Studies (NY) $56,310
  5. Harvey Mudd College (CA) $56,268
  6. Wesleyan University (CT) $56,006
  7. Claremont McKenna College (CA) $55,865
  8. Johns Hopkins University (MD) $55,742
  9. Berklee College of Music (MA) $55,615
  10. Barnard College (NY) $55,566
  11. Bard College (NY) $55,566
  12. Vanderbilt University (TN) $55,556
  13. Trinity College (CT) $55,450
  14. University of Chicago (IL) $55,416
  15. Dartmouth College (NH) $55,365
  16. Bates Colleges (ME) $55,300
  17. Stevens Institute of Technology (NJ) $55,276
  18. Vassar College (NY) $55,135
  19. Washington University St. Louis (MO) $55,111
  20. Boston College (MA) $55,079
  21. Haverford College (PA) $55,050
  22. Pitzer College (CA) $54,988
  23. Connecticut College $54,970
  24. Bard College at Simon's Rock (MA) $54,960
  25. Bennington College (VT) $54,960
If the "best" schools (translation the most expensive of them) don't like it, let them adjust their costs accordingly, or sink and get put out of business. That's the beauty of the private industry.

Last edited by itshim; 06-04-2012 at 05:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies