Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 08:51 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,897,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Top Picks (Most Requested Statistics) : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

That's you failing miserably at trying to claim saving government jobs is the only way to save the economy in a recession...
Never claimed any such thing ... claimed that cutting government expenditures grossly -- including slashing government employment -- is counter productive and will exacerbate the problems of a weak economic recovery. And I am 100% correct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2012, 08:54 AM

5,503 posts, read 7,332,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Never claimed any such thing ... claimed that cutting government expenditures grossly -- including slashing government employment -- is counter productive and will exacerbate the problems of a weak economic recovery. And I am 100% correct.
Show where Obama has grossly cut government expenditures.

Old 06-10-2012, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
Show where Obama has grossly cut government expenditures.
Once again, read carefully ... I did not claim Obama has grossly cut expenditures ... I said doing so -- which is what the prevailing noise from the conservative side has been demanding for several years now -- will restrict recovery. And, furthermore, vicious cuts are in the works with the new budgets -- in everything from critical social programs, to the arts, to the pentagon.

Virulent demand for austerity has become the dominant theme of our crisis, and has put the absolute clamp on the stimulus required, to regain the robust economy required, to generate the stability required, to go about the business of paying down debt and instituting better budgetary decision-making and control for the future.

Old 06-10-2012, 09:24 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,461,121 times
Quote:
show where obama has grossly cut government expenditures.
Quote:
Receipts

2009 - 2,104,989
2010 - 2,162,724
2011 - 2,303,466
2012 - 2,468,599
2013 - 2,901,956
2014 - 3,215,293
2015 - 3,450,153
2016 - 3,680,085
2017 - 3,919,275

Outlays

2009 - 3,517,677
2010 - 3,456,213
2011 - 3,603,061
2012 - 3,795,547
2013 - 3,803,364
2014 - 3,883,095
2015 - 4,059,866
2016 - 4,328,840
2017 - 4,531,723
Table 1.1—Summary of Receipts, Outlays, and Surpluses or Deficits (-): 1789–2017

2009 - 2010: -$61.464 billion
2010 - 2011: +$146.848 billion
2011 - 2012: +$192.486 billion
2012 - 2013: +$7.817 billion
2013 - 2014: +$79.731 billion
2014 - 2015: + $176.771 billion
2015 - 2016: +$268.974 billion
2016 - 2017: +$202.883 billion

As you can plainly see he cut them going from 2009 - 2010 and slowed them in the years 2012 - 2014. I mean golly, man, those are some dramatic cuts. It's very possible the entire government could have shut down due to that and grandmothers and children would immediately perish in the streets and since government doesn't have a single penny left, after the republicans cut their budgets to zero, there would be no non-profit funeral services to even bury them with.

I even caught the republicans doing some strange dance in some caves the other day praying for an asteroid to come strike the planet while Obama is in office so they can blame him for that.

*Sarcasm and Delorean Time Machine Off*

Old 06-10-2012, 09:26 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,461,121 times
Quote:
Once again, read carefully ... I did not claim Obama has grossly cut expenditures ... I said doing so -- which is what the prevailing noise from the conservative side has been demanding for several years now -- will restrict recovery. And, furthermore, vicious cuts are in the works with the new budgets -- in everything from critical social programs, to the arts, to the pentagon.

Virulent demand for austerity has become the dominant theme of our crisis, and has put the absolute clamp on the stimulus required, to regain the robust economy required, to generate the stability required, to go about the business of paying down debt and instituting better budgetary decision-making and control for the future.
So the plan to spend $30 trillion dollars (if Obama gets 8 years) is an austere move to you?

Old 06-10-2012, 09:52 AM

Nothing modern man does is austerity to me ... I personally am not in favor of any modern systems of government or economies. This forum seems, typically, heavily populated by folks who are intensely invested in personal polarizations. I find it greatly amusing the way the attacks are hurled.

All said, the principal I am supporting is that, in-as-much-as a common goal can be identified as regaining economic stability and then defining future safeguards and sanity, and in-as-much-as market / investment confidence relies (foolishly, imo) on continuous growth in our consumer-capitalist culture, then increased government expenditures ARE a necessary component.

It is being cut -- while the cancerous growth mentality of our industrial, technical, financial society demands "MORE, MORE MORE!"

Old 06-10-2012, 12:15 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,332,984 times
Quote:

What you are not taking into consideration is that government spending is not the only impetus to grow the economy. Consumer and business spending are the greatest factors in growing an economy. When there is too much debt consumers are afraid to spend because they know their taxes will be increasing. When there is too much easing by the fed seniors don't get a return on their money, ie., low interest rates, and can't spend. When there is too much regulation and uncertainty regarding taxes, businesses won't spend. It is not cost effective. Your point about government spending has been proven wrong in the last 3 1/2 years with the slowest recovery in 50 years. The day after Romney is elected and republicans take over the senate you will see business unleashed and investment skyrocket.

Old 06-10-2012, 12:47 PM

Quote:
What you are not taking into consideration is that government spending is not the only impetus to grow the economy. Consumer and business spending are the greatest factors in growing an economy. When there is too much debt consumers are afraid to spend because they know their taxes will be increasing. When there is too much easing by the fed seniors don't get a return on their money, ie., low interest rates, and can't spend. When there is too much regulation and uncertainty regarding taxes, businesses won't spend. It is not cost effective. Your point about government spending has been proven wrong in the last 3 1/2 years with the slowest recovery in 50 years. The day after Romney is elected and republicans take over the senate you will see business unleashed and investment skyrocket.
Whoever said government spending was the only impetus to grow the economy? Certainly not me. But consumer spending and business spending are each significantly integrated with government spending. The U.S. government is a huge consumer and employer.

Neither do I support the idea that debt is immaterial. However, debt is relative -- and government debt is quite different than both consumer and business debt. And in economic crisis, such as now, the absolute priority is to stimulate the economic engine -- without which everything grinds to a seriously slow pace - hopefully somewhat short of complete stop.

There is plenty of historical precedent of governments operating under and recovering from considerably higher debt ratios than we carry at this time. Two quick ones, each demonstrating very different scenarios, off top of my head are Japan and Iceland. Japan has weathered a meltdown since about 1992, I believe it was, and operates -- productively and maintaining a high standard of living for its population, 20 years later still at a much higher ratio than we are strapped with. Iceland has creatively turned around from total bankrupt collapse to robust growth and one of the world's highest real estate appreciation rates in just four short years.

Neither of these nations have nearly the resources that America has to work with to recreate a robust future.

Regulation and taxes don't stop much if any business ... they are just things business people whine about. Regulation has been always on a steady increase and civilization has advanced -- aggressively and without hesitation -- unfortunately ... not enough regulation means we are decimating our resources for the future generations. Business taxation, and high taxation of the wealthy has been much higher historically at times of great investment and growth. So that is pure nonsense.

My point about government spending hasn't been wrong in the past 3.5 years ... my point about government spending is that not nearly enough was spent, and that is why the recovery is dragging on and on so slowly.

Other recoveries were faster due to far greater government stimulus on a relative scale -- and other underlying factors that differ from this crisis. To elaborate on all the differences would amount to writing a book -- which has been done many times over on the subject by others -- including Nobel Prize winning economist Krugman, who seems to be the conservatives' favorite enemy in these times of reptilian thinking.

Old 06-10-2012, 12:57 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,990,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Just wondering what makes Reagan the conservative darling. What great accomplishments of his do you admire?

This is what I see Reagan did during his presidency:

1. Reagan was a serial tax raiser.
Reagan “raised taxes in seven of his eight years in office.

2. Reagan nearly tripled the federal budget deficit.

3. Unemployment soared after Reagan’s 1981 tax cuts

4. Reagan grew the size of the federal government tremendously.

5. Reagan did little to fight a woman’s right to choose.

6. Reagan gave amnesty to 3 million undocumented immigrants.

7. Reagan illegally funneled weapons to Iran.

10 Things Conservatives Don't Want You To Know About Ronald Reagan | ThinkProgress

Ronnie Reagan did one thing they are are forever grateful. We now get our money for nothing and our checks for free! Since he quadrulpoled the national debt the intrest on or treasureis worth hundreds of billions of dollars annually has been piling up in our offshore accounts thanks to the Gipper! Who says pennies and even Federal Reserve Notes don't rain down from heaven!

Old 06-10-2012, 01:06 PM

3,709 posts, read 4,627,807 times
Quote:

You must be Greek.

If Obama killed Bin Laden, Reagan killed the Soviet Union.

If Obama brought Bush's recession under control, Reagan skillfully mastered Carter's and overcame it.

If Obama is pretty good with foreign policy, Reagan can be called a great world-changer.

Obama is a great prevaricator, Reagan was the Great Communicator.

If Obama is a decent president, Reagan is a god.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies