Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 01:55 PM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
You mean like if they don't like blacks or gays or veterans?

If you'd read the article.....

The landlord is screwed per MA laws against discrimination.

I mean seriously, the gal only has to take his check she doesn't have to live in the apt. with him and watch the military channel and talk about the proper camoflague pattern for sniping insurgents.
Oh, I didn't see the "protected class" thing in the article. I knew she was being strange to turn down a veteran applicant, but I didn't realize they had a law against it. It is a liberal law for sure. My guess is that the veteran in question is also liberal. They have a lot of liberals in MA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 01:57 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
I posted this yesterday, liberals are the real intolerant ones.

Old 06-05-2012, 02:04 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,253,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It is a strange reason to turn down an applicant, but should she be forced to rent to people who say they are veterans? I would think people can rent or not rent to whoever they choose to.
According to the link it is against the law to discriminate against people like the Sgt. I think unless he dropped the case he will win out, although I wouldn't want to pay rent to an old "s**t" like that. I used that word because I just came from the thread by John 1960 about Limbaugh being a Republican spokesman.

Old 06-05-2012, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
Illegal? No.
Free Market? Yes
Stupid? Yes

It's a free market folks and this landlord is probably legally allowed to refuse to rent to the Vet.
I read the whole link and at the end it says that it is not legal to discriminate against people like the Sgt. in Massachusetts.

Old 06-05-2012, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
I fully expect conservatives to be consistent on that subject, especially the ones that rail against civil rights act. And that they are about to prove themselves here... again.
Either you didn't read the link, like usual, or you are trying very hard to be cantankerous and really don't know about the Massachusetts law. Read the damned link, since I didn't post it.

Old 06-05-2012, 02:08 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,935,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Nope. Clear discrimination and it's right there in the article.
Good! Sue that biatch then.

Old 06-05-2012, 02:21 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,851,639 times
If I was living on the property I wouldn't want to rent to an activist that disagreed with my view point if it was a major issue. Not just someone who disagreed with me but an activist. Why should I have to see that on my own property? If I'm living off site and don't have to see it I wouldn't care.

btw It's a landlords market. Imo, the landlord should not have given any reason for not picking the vet. Dumb move.

Old 06-05-2012, 02:24 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,335,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
From one of the bluest states in the nation comes this sad story of intolerance, bigotry, and ignorance against a man whose only crime was that he has served his country.

Anti-War Activist Refuses To Rent Apartment To Iraq-Afghanistan Vet « CBS Boston
A Massachusetts veteran of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan has filed a civil rights lawsuit against an anti-war activist who declined to rent him an apartment.

Sgt. Joel Morgan, 29, tried to rent a two-bedroom apartment in the Savin Hill section of Dorchester from 63-year-old Janice Roberts. He didn't get the apartment.

According to the lawsuit, Roberts told Morgan his war service and her peace activism presented a “conflict of interest.”

“Because of what you told me about the Iraq war… we are very adamant about our beliefs… it’s just not comfortable for us… and I’m sure now that you know this, it would not be comfortable for you,” Roberts said in a voicemail to Morgan.
Do you have any idea how ignorant it is to use one example of stupidity as a reason to brand an entire segment of the US population??

Old 06-05-2012, 02:45 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I posted this yesterday, liberals are the real intolerant ones.
It's not an either/or. There are a lot of intolerant folks in both camps. But I will say liberals are more hypocritical on this issue, though, since they are always the ones who hold themselves up to be more tolerant.

Old 06-05-2012, 02:46 PM

78,335 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
If I was living on the property I wouldn't want to rent to an activist that disagreed with my view point if it was a major issue. Not just someone who disagreed with me but an activist. Why should I have to see that on my own property? If I'm living off site and don't have to see it I wouldn't care.

btw It's a landlords market. Imo, the landlord should not have given any reason for not picking the vet. Dumb move.
If I'm a landlord I'd only care that they pay on time and are respectful in terms of noise, not trashing the place etc.

I didn't see anywhere that the guy was some sort of activist. He is just ex-military in firefighters training....it was the LANDLORD that was the anti-war activist.

100% agree that she was dumb to provide the reason ON A RECORDING no less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies