Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 02:50 PM

78,414 posts, read 60,593,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I posted this yesterday, liberals are the real intolerant ones.
You'd be shocked at how many anti-war types are neither liberal nor democrat.
(Most of the REAL anti-war types are no fans of Obama either for essentially following the Cheney\Bush game plan to a T)

Basically, there is nothing supporting your assertion that this is liberal intolerance.

Now if she refused to rent to hte guy because of a romney bumper sticker on his car then you'd have a case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 02:50 PM

716 posts, read 1,119,721 times
Savin Hill is mostly Irish-American, blue collar and very patriotic, if I remember right. Pretty sure a lot of firefighters live there. I don't think this will go over very well.

Old 06-05-2012, 02:52 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,678,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
From one of the bluest states in the nation comes this sad story of intolerance, bigotry, and ignorance against a man whose only crime was that he has served his country.

Anti-War Activist Refuses To Rent Apartment To Iraq-Afghanistan Vet « CBS Boston
A Massachusetts veteran of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan has filed a civil rights lawsuit against an anti-war activist who declined to rent him an apartment.

Sgt. Joel Morgan, 29, tried to rent a two-bedroom apartment in the Savin Hill section of Dorchester from 63-year-old Janice Roberts. He didn't get the apartment.

According to the lawsuit, Roberts told Morgan his war service and her peace activism presented a “conflict of interest.”

“Because of what you told me about the Iraq war… we are very adamant about our beliefs… it’s just not comfortable for us… and I’m sure now that you know this, it would not be comfortable for you,” Roberts said in a voicemail to Morgan.
Does Roberts speak German or Japanese?

Old 06-05-2012, 03:44 PM

14,021 posts, read 15,022,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
Illegal? No.
Free Market? Yes
Stupid? Yes

It's a free market folks and this landlord is probably legally allowed to refuse to rent to the Vet.
Illegal- Yes
In Massachusetts, veterans are a class of people, that a valid under dicrimination laws, so it is legally the same as not renting to someone based on Race, or Sexuality.

Old 06-05-2012, 04:16 PM

59,059 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
I fully expect conservatives to be consistent on that subject, especially the ones that rail against civil rights act. And that they are about to prove themselves here... again.
I am a conservative and I am consistent in my beliefs. I believe a PRIVATELY owned business has the RIGHT to sell, rent or do business to anyone and NOT do business with anyone they choose.

If you (collectively) have the right to choose where you do your business a owner should have the same right to choose who to do business with.

So much for your lame attempt to insult others who do not agree with you.

Old 06-05-2012, 04:19 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
He may win some kind of judgement depending on other factors, such as his application and whatnot.

She's not going to jail for a hate crime and he isn't going to get the building.

Old 06-05-2012, 04:20 PM

14,021 posts, read 15,022,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I am a conservative and I am consistent in my beliefs. I believe a PRIVATELY owned business has the RIGHT to sell, rent or do business to anyone and NOT do business with anyone they choose.

If you (collectively) have the right to choose where you do your business a owner should have the same right to choose who to do business with.

So you believe a landlord should be able to deny someone SHELTER, which is considered by roughtly 99.9999999999999% of people to be a necesity to life, based off some dumb sterotype, or group that has 1,000,000s of people?
This isn't a dumb novelty shop in a quirky town square, this is a life necessity (and anyone who has experinced winter knows so) that is being denied.

Old 06-05-2012, 04:26 PM

3,045 posts, read 3,193,246 times
Quote:
From one of the bluest states in the nation comes this sad story of intolerance, bigotry, and ignorance against a man whose only crime was that he has served his country.

Anti-War Activist Refuses To Rent Apartment To Iraq-Afghanistan Vet « CBS Boston
A Massachusetts veteran of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan has filed a civil rights lawsuit against an anti-war activist who declined to rent him an apartment.

Sgt. Joel Morgan, 29, tried to rent a two-bedroom apartment in the Savin Hill section of Dorchester from 63-year-old Janice Roberts. He didn't get the apartment.

According to the lawsuit, Roberts told Morgan his war service and her peace activism presented a “conflict of interest.”

“Because of what you told me about the Iraq war… we are very adamant about our beliefs… it’s just not comfortable for us… and I’m sure now that you know this, it would not be comfortable for you,” Roberts said in a voicemail to Morgan.
Hop over to the Elections forum and see what the right wing, tin foil hat wearers were saying about another war hero, John McCain on the day after Memorial Day.

There's intolerance everywhere. Your assumption that it's only from people with one political ideology is, well, intolerant.

Old 06-05-2012, 04:53 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post

It would be important to point out that under the 10th Amendment Mass. was well within its rights to pass this legislation. So, Conservatively speaking, the Mass. law is entirely Constitutional. I'd suggest your position to be more classically liberal as in Libertarian.

Old 06-05-2012, 05:00 PM

1,661 posts, read 1,393,250 times
Quote:

Some vets are freakin' whackjobs. Perhaps he did not want a PTSD explosion or someone with a large cache of weapons in his building.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies