Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2012, 07:07 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,581,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
Actualy I was talking on a state level. I have had conversations with GOP state reps who came right out and said they dont have a problem with weed, they just dont want to make NH apear dem friendly.
Every state has a Congress with Congressmen.

That attitude, "GOP opposes, but only because Dems suppot. If Dems oppose, then we will support" is exactly what is wrong with this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 07:13 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,477,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post

That attitude, "GOP opposes, but only because Dems suppot. If Dems oppose, then we will support" is exactly what is wrong with this country.

They are not opposed because dems dont oppose. He was opposed because he didnt want more massachusetts dems moving up here. A constant problem we have to deal with.
Mass dems have turned mass into a place they can no longer afford to live. Now they move up here and want to change this state into northern massachusetts.

Greg W is the perfect example.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Quite the opposite. Addiction will go down.
You think pot smokers will quit smoking if pot is legalized LOL Plueeeezzz..... You can't be that naive.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:18 AM

Quote:
They are not opposed because dems dont oppose.
Isn't that the same as saying 'GOP supports because Dems support"?

Old 06-15-2012, 07:18 AM

707 posts, read 686,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
"A mother in Arizona left her 5-week-old baby on top of her car and drove away, not even noticing when the seat and the baby fell off in the middle of an intersection. Fortunately the baby was uninjured and was later found by neighbors still strapped into his safety seat, according to ABC.
Catalina Clouser, the infant’s 19-year-old mother who had allegedly been smoking marijuana, was arrested for charges of child abuse and driving under the influence. She reportedly drove a dozen miles before realizing her baby was missing, states The Tucson Citizen."

5-week-old Baby Winds Up in Middle of Intersection | TheCelebrityCafe.com
I think people refer to the harmfulness as in what it does to your own body and not how a person's own forgetfullness hurts someone. I think this is quite misleading.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:19 AM

707 posts, read 686,723 times
Quote:
You think pot smokers will quit smoking if pot is legalized LOL Plueeeezzz..... You can't be that naive.
Have you ever been to Amsterdam...lots of toker's there.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:22 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,978,406 times
Quote:
Yes, it is probably the root cause for his paranoia and anxiety. He should quit before the marijuana induced psychosis kicks in. We covered drug psychosis earlier in this thread. It is a scary thing. Did you know that 10% of all mental illness in US is related to marijuana use?
Oh please.

Quote:
Yes, when the government takes over, the prices will skyrocket, and many addicts will resort to crime to support the habit.
There are no marijuana addicts. Run of the mill pot heads don't tend to knock over a convenient store to buy weed. I know I never have. Nor do I know any other smokers that have done so. Crack heads, coke heads, meth heads, heroin addicts, and pill poppers.... yes, because all of that stuff is physically addicting to the point that withdrawl will make them deathly ill!

Quote:
Then you are talking about decriminalization, not legalization. Legalization would bring the government into the picture and they would collect as much tax as they can. The pro-narcotic people argue that legalization is a good idea, because it would provide revenue to the government. If you remove the revenue, you remove the only pro-pot argument the non-users might agree with.
While I'm not a huge fan of government intervention, at least it takes the criminal element out of the industry. How messed up is it that marijuana is illegal, yet it is the #1 cash crop in the country! Think of what that tax revenue can do to help stimulate the economy! It isn't the end all be all, but it will help!

Quote:
There are also other reasons some legislaters are opposed to it and it has nothing to do with weed.
Yes. Money! Lobbyists! The legislators are just taking their orders from the special interest groups. Money buys votes.

Quote:
If people continue to buy it illegally, then what is the point of legalization? Smuggling and black market will continue, and become even more profitable for the organized crime.
Because legalization is the RIGHT thing to do! Prohibition did not work! It isn't working now. Legalize, and get the criminal element out of it. Furthermore, by keeping it illegal all you're doing is criminalizing otherwise good law abiding and tax paying cititzens further feeding the prison industrial complex. All over what? A plant?! Give me a freakin' break! I cannot justify punishing someone just because they chose to do something in the privacy of their own home without harming someone in the process. Now, drive under the influence (this goes for any substance) and cause an accident, or kill someone, then pay the consequences.

Quote:
I would assume Congressmen are more interestred in the monney-flow than the product itself. It's just the nature of the beast.

I agree with you here. As I said to waterboy, money buys votes. I intend to further my research on my representatives locally and in DC, and will do my part to vote out the politicians who support nanny state policies and infringing on a person's individual liberties.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:27 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,978,406 times
Quote:

Something else we can agree on. And I'll rep ya. Which is why I choose not to vote for someone with a letter next to their name. It is why I can never be a full fledged republican, or democrat. Both parties are effed up!

Old 06-15-2012, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansdad View Post
Have you ever been to Amsterdam...lots of toker's there.
Yes, I have been there many times. It did not look like the Dutch quit smoking it when it was decriminalized. Also, the criminal element did not disappear in Holland. They criminals are the ones who supply the coffe shops with cannabis.

Old 06-15-2012, 08:34 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,311,449 times
Quote:
Legalized and not taxed , yes the price would drop. Legalized and taxed? The sky is the limit.
It still would be cheaper overall than if it wsa illegal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies