Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 11:52 AM

25,838 posts, read 16,515,156 times

Advertisements

Because when my kids graduated we sat in respectful silence during the ceremony. Then we gave them big parties at our house and celebrated the crap out of the occasion. Loud outbursts in pubic accomplish exactly what? It's about the parents immaturity more than their happiness for their kid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Did you scream and yell and whistle when your little angel spelled words correctly? How about when they took their first step, or potty trained; did you taxi whistle then, too?

I'm not rude and miserable, but people who disrupt graduation ceremonies certainly are, especially when they've been asked not to do so. Screaming and like behavior in a public setting is low-class, and probably embarrassing to the graduate.
Right on the money! But I bet she still doesn't "get it"

Old 06-07-2012, 11:56 AM

One more post on the subject. When my daughter graduated from college, not one single problem or outburst so I guess either there was a different class of parent there or the parents matured greatly in 4 years.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:26 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,102,524 times
Many high schools and colleges now request that family & guests not applaud during the ceremony. Save the celebrations for your own personal parties.

This was the case at me & my sisters high school graduation's, my college graduation, my sister's college graduation, and both of my cousin's college graduations. At my high school graduation ceremony a woman was removed by school security guards for blowing an air-horn when her daughter's name was called ... she was not allowed to attend the remainder of the ceremony.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:38 PM

454 posts, read 940,020 times
Why is it so hard for some people to follow rules? She should have sat quietly like the rest of the audience and she wouldn't be in this situation now - simple.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:51 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,102,524 times
What's the deal with 9,000 people attending a ceremony for only slightly over 400 students?

I had 545 students in my high school graduating class, the gym had a maximum of something like 940 bleacher seats, figure they probably let that slide a teeny bit so maybe 1,050 guests in the gym. There were maybe another 500 guests watching on CCTV from the auditorium where they had overflow seating.

Old 06-07-2012, 02:01 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,075,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
My daughter graduated from a large inner-city high school, where the Commencement Ceremony at the Civic Hall is filled with screaming morons like this mom. As a result, probably half of the parents choose to not even bother to go. It's such a mess.

Graduation ceremonies are NOT supposed to be raucous riots. This woman needs to shut her freaking pie hole, and maintain some semblance of decorum.

The screaming and yelling is for later.
The intelligence of some parents are just downright bottom of the barrel. This is why you move to a more rural or suburban area, where things may not be as bad. These parents may not have graduated high school themselves, and they think a silly HS diploma is a "big deal." So now their kid might be lucky to get a teller job at $12 hour....what a huge deal! It was getting so bad at some inner city schools in Indianapolis, they instituted the same policy. After removing the first group that acts like a bunch of drunken fools, the entire place is quite. You don't have to arrest anyone, unless they refuse to leave the property, then lock them up for trespassing. All you have to do is toss the first two or three families who can't follow simple request or just have to do more than clap and a give a short "Woo." They had no choice because many teachers were starting to say they didn't want to go to these "ceremonies." These were events that were going from two or three hours to several hours because they wouldn't call anyone's name while some in the stands were still acting a fool.

There is no way I would want to sit through some six to seven hour graduation where 50% or more of the families have to act like its the Superbowl and their favorite team just scored for the win.

Old 06-07-2012, 03:07 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,147,548 times
So basically make it out to be a funeral. There is nothing wrong with a little jubilation. It's a joyous occasion. They gave the crowd about 20 seconds when i graduated. Graduation is for the students and families, not the administration. The popilar kids got large cheers from the crowd and their fellow graduates. The pc culture is going overboard. No celebration. Kids now allowed to talk back and throw temper tantrums and some shrink who has never had kids says to only put them in timeout. My day my mother would dare me to act out and my father just gave that look and u knew!

Old 06-07-2012, 03:43 PM

613 posts, read 814,885 times
I stumbled upon an interesting way of showing my children I was proud of them.

I sat through their graduation ceremonies showing some respect and decorum. Once they were over I gave each of my girls a big hug, looked them in the eyes and told them how proud I was of them.

Seems to have worked for me and for them.

Old 06-07-2012, 03:47 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,779,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
ohhh zod!!!! what is this country becoming

Proud mom cuffed for cheering for kid at graduation
I just cheered my kid at his graduation this morning.

Uh oh... UP AGAINST THE WALL AND SPREAD 'EM, ACORN!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies