Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the solution to our Obesity Epidemic?
High taxes on soft drinks and junk food 19 21.84%
Government bans for food the it thinks are bad 3 3.45%
Government subsidies for food it thinks are good 5 5.75%
Active leadership by politicians and other leaders 7 8.05%
Do nothing. The problem will go away 4 4.60%
More education. Fat people don't know why they are fat. 28 32.18%
End government welfare - require more people to work 21 24.14%
Less government intervention - eliminate the nanny state 35 40.23%
More government intervention - expand the nanny state 2 2.30%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 03:09 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times

Advertisements

How about education?
Many conservatives don't want any health related issues taught in schools, this includes nutrition.
When the school attempts to provide healthier choices, parents (and many idiot posters here and on other forums) resent it and do their best to quell any attempts at providing healthier choices or education.

Bad eating habits are learned at home.
If kids are raised on junk food, that's what they'll eat.

Unfortunately for many people, hormone disrupters found in the environment and our food supply can affect one's ability to process foods.
Chemicals can suppress a thyroid. The thyroid regulates body processes.

People tend to look at fat people as lazy, lacking self-control or bad in some way.
Shaming people certainly doesn't help.

But if it makes you feel better about yourself to look down on others, have at it.

Last edited by chielgirl; 06-10-2012 at 03:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2012, 03:35 AM

2,920 posts, read 2,796,043 times
Very simple solution : gas at $15.

Old 06-10-2012, 05:25 AM

1,725 posts, read 2,066,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Creating products is done quite well by businesses and people competing in the marketplace.
I wouldn't say anything, if there was fake meat that feels like meat. But there's none, and if it's invented, chances are it will be in a University/academy of sciences, financed publically.

Quote:
Competition drives innovation.
Yes, like chicken franks with "50% less fat". Very healthy, aha

Quote:
Government should focus on protecting the people and their rights.
This mantra doesn't work - the world is slowly but surely moving left

Old 06-10-2012, 08:33 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Everyone talks about the Obesity Epidemic but nothing is changing. What is the solution? More government? Less government?

And why do some countries like Japan have only 3% obesity compared to the US at 30%? Is it government control? Is it government taxes? Is it just demographics? Is it a work ethic?

So what would you do about it if you were king for a day?

This video might help your thoughts;

Obesity in America: To Win, We Have to Lose Government - Hit & Run : Reason.com
Enact a law that prohibits ownership of forks and spoons then beat all the forks and spoons into plowshares.

Old 06-10-2012, 08:55 PM

391 posts, read 840,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
Lifestyle is a big reason

Most people sit around on their computers all day, facebook, blogs etc. instead of getting out and being active

Kids are far less active than they used to be.... an active kid needs to be medicated according to some so called "experts"

Jobs are less active too.... as more people move toward computer oriented jobs over more physically intensive labor jobs, fewer calories are burned

Some of it also has to do with bad diet, but what can you do except try and educate people on nutrition? A certain party thinks that banning certain foods is the answer, but prohibition NEVER works
ehhh sorta. I was one of those kids that sat around at my computer all summer long and sometimes all night long playing on the computer, browsing the internet and such. I wasn't weak nor was I overweight. In school I had PE, my parents made proper meals, and I WALKED to school. The other thing is even with all these things I still found knocking a punching bag a few times and hanging out with friends was more entertaining then playing games all the time.

I really think it's the American diet that is the biggest problem. Too much red meat, too many calories, and too much fat(all types).

Government can't fix anything, the market has to fix whatever its doing.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:50 AM

467 posts, read 664,555 times
Nothing should be done, it's a conspiracy. Either you have the ability to learn the truth or you don't. No one should be deprived their right to fight to be free. If you want to be fat and create a society that caters to you and your lifestyle, it should be tolerated and allowed. Fat people are a huge industry, I say let them be fat.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:54 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Tax, tax, tax. Its the best, and truly only way that the government should be able to regulate consumption in the free market. Don't like it, tax it. Tax the hell out of it, and people will naturally avoid those things, unless they can afford them.

Old 06-11-2012, 11:54 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Tax, tax, tax. Its the best, and truly only way that the government should be able to regulate consumption in the free market. Don't like it, tax it. Tax the hell out of it, and people will naturally avoid those things, unless they can afford them.
It has not exactly worked that way with alcohol and tobacco. The more the government taxes, the more dependent they become on that revenue. As a result, the government now has a vested interest to ensure the heavily taxed drug is available to the tax-paying public.

Old 06-11-2012, 01:14 PM

12,953 posts, read 13,665,225 times
Certain foods or eating habits should be compared to tobacco and alcohol abuse. Taxing isn't the answer. When I quit tobacco over 20 years ago a pack of cigarettes was a dollar and some change. People I know who smoked with me back then, still smoke the same amount even though it cost them a five dollar bill to buy a pack of smokes.

Maybe certain foods and products should have the same restrictions placed on them that are placed on tobacco and alcohol with regard to how and where they are advertised.

Old 06-11-2012, 01:29 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,854,528 times
Government has long proven their lack of knowledge when it comes to nutrition. Why not keep them out of it as their intervention has not helped so far, why would more have a different result?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies