Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 04:54 PM

3,502 posts, read 3,133,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
I keep asking but never get a response Here they are and yes it is for the RW on here.

Did you feel the same about the swift boat scandal as you do about mitts deferrals?

What makes someone "ultra conservative"?

Who are the silent majority you always refer to?

What is an urban youth?

There are others but I'll stay with these for now.
The Swift Boat thing was dirty politics for sure, but my biggest critique of Kerry was that he was kind of a p*ssy about it and never stood up for himself. If he had fought back I think he would have earned a bit of respect as a leader and could have made a better showing. As it was, he came across as weak, which really hurt him.
Romney's deferrals don't really change my opinion of him. If I was him, I'd rather be in France than Viet Nam too, probably, and he was on his mission, which apparently is a valid deferment.

I would imagine that the "silent majority" is normal people who care about politics but don't obsess about them (ie spend time arguing with strangers on City Data about it ) They may or may not vote, and probably already affiliate themselves with a party, and don't ponder the minutiae of the party's ideology.

I've only seen one person on City Data (Mircea) identify themselves as "Ultra Conservative", so maybe he will chime in with an answer for you eventually. I know he's an athiest, and not big on nationalistic chest thumping, so I don't think he fits the mold that most people think of when they hear that term.

"Urban Youth" is what people on C-D say when they want to say "Black Kids" without sounding racist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 05:28 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,529,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Youts are youts, no matter what their racial grouping is. I didn't know you are as racial as this post shows you to be. I will watch you from now on.
I hope you will also call out ALL racist IYO post.

Old 06-07-2012, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Of course.

Being ultra conservative compared to conservative would be akin to being a democrat compared to a liberal.

Perhaps the "vagueness" is not in the message, but the perception of the message.
How does one qualify as an ultra conservative? Beliefs? Policy?

Old 06-07-2012, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Are you really that racist? I know you have been acting like it lately but sure never did think you were racist.
Im not and you know it. Still I need the rightwing to tell the truth. The things they say to YOU when no one like me is around.

PS: I dont expect a response.

Old 06-07-2012, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
The term silent majority hardly can be a code for racist, but apathy in the
public square, yes.

I don't even think it was the "silent majority" that voted in the Walker
election.
More like the taxpayers and property owners of the state who are simply
tired of high property tax and being held hostage by public unions.
And, many more who didn't believe the recall had any base from a legality
or fiscal POV.

You know, when they had the protests in Madison, a lot of working folks
didn't have the luxury of participating. They actually had jobs that they
had to attend to; jobs that didn't have the security of a state job/union -
they could be fired.....on the spot.

What happened in WI wasn't a racial thing. It was a fiscal one.
I never said that.

Old 06-07-2012, 05:51 PM

23,539 posts, read 17,214,216 times
Most got guys got deferments until the lottery which you entered when you dropped your deferment. what's your point?

Amazing the talk about deferments as if they were illegal and reserved only for a 'senator's son'. If you were around then, deferments were the norm.

Who is that Dem from Conn who lied about his service and got re-elected?

Do you think Obama would have volunteered for service in Viet Nam if he were of age? That's the real question.

It may sound ridiculous but consider Obama was given credit for saying he would not have voted to go into Iraq if he was senator at the time the vote was taken.

Old 06-07-2012, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
No, it isn't hardball in reality... It's just stupid bipartisan drivel that accomplishes nothing.
OK

Old 06-07-2012, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Let me help you on urban youth. Try to watch the movie "Cousin Vinny" and you will see that those two urban youts, as Vinny says the word, were both white and middle class.
Im sure that is exactly what is meant by urban youts

Old 06-07-2012, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Swift Boating in 2004 was nothing but simply putting out the truth about Jon Carry. He cried and cried but did take his first Purple Heart down from his website before the election because it was a serious piece of metal that the corpsman pulled out with tweezers and then put on a bandaid as a bandage.

Carry claimed to have been a Swiftboat commander but failed to admit that his first "wound" came from his own action which was done against the advice of his crew who had all been up that river many times before he ever went.

As for that event, anyone who wasn't around back then to see what happened is not believing one side or the other without much knowledge about it all. I took advantage of reading both sides back then before I decided that the Carry supporters were the ones who were wrong and lying about it all.
Roy this is in my opinion dishonest because you were never going to vote for Senator Kerry.

Old 06-07-2012, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Just reading back on the answers, swift boating and John Kerry, duh on my part, I forgot. I learned a long time ago to stay out of disagreements between vets.

No way urban youth means black youth. I was just looking in the window of Urban Outfitters, it's just a young hip store for everybody. Actually, I don't hear the term much except in advertising, and a lot of that is upscale. Maybe it's a regional thing.
Maybe you have not used the search button. Go ahead put in urban youths and see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies