Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 07:48 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times

Advertisements

My wife is but she only uses it to keepup with friends and family for which its a great thing.Perosnally not even likig to talk o the telephone ;I don't have a account.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2012, 08:00 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
I hate the new timeline and every time I try to sign in it wants my cell phone number. I don't think so. My children insisted that I go on facebook and it keeps me from getting "are you all right" calls when I am trying to sleep. I like it that although our schedules are different we can all check on each other. I liked the way the home page was before it started limiting the posts. I like to see my friends talking to their children.

Old 06-08-2012, 08:01 PM

20,707 posts, read 19,349,208 times
The assembled body parts of relationships that belong dead. Even the Frankenstein monster could smell it. Had an account for awhile and caught up with some old friends who mostly just got soft and blended into the scenery. You tried flavored coffee today did you? I'd rather slug it out with political enemies at CD even with the questionable efficacy of that.

[MOD CUT]

Last edited by Ibginnie; 06-09-2012 at 09:06 AM.. Reason: hotlinking is not permitted per the TOS

Old 06-08-2012, 08:19 PM

4,486 posts, read 5,222,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
And how many ads did you click on? Likely none. Facebook may stick around for awhile for the reasons noted but it's never going to make the money they claim.
None. Never do either.

Old 06-08-2012, 08:21 PM

33,547 posts, read 18,143,148 times
I have friends who want me to go on facebook.. they keep asking, I keep declining.

Old 06-08-2012, 08:41 PM

10,028 posts, read 9,500,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
It has lost its pizzaz if it ever had one. Nice to make contact with long lost friends but then after 30 years what does one really have in common. There is only so much one can reminisce over before it becomes ho hum, yawn.

Pages are better than walls but even they are getting less attention. Start a page be prepared to invest a lot of time to keep it dynamic.
Exactly....

Great line from Betty White (from hosting SNL) about Facebook:

"People tell me Facebook is a great way to connect with old friends. But at my age, if I want to connect with old friends, I need a Ouija board."

Old 06-08-2012, 08:44 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,007,212 times
I think it still holds a lot of value due to the fact that it allows you to be connected to people in ways that you otherwise would not be connected to. Whether there's something to gain from that, is up to the individual.

As for myself, a childhood friend that I hadn't seen since I was 10 friended me the other day.

Old 06-08-2012, 08:52 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
What I find amusing is some of the problems it causes by people who feel the need to advertise all aspects of their life.

There was a thread on here(non romantic relationship forum) by a MIDDLE AGED woman who was annoyed that her "best friend" never bothered to visit her while she was in her town.

So she logged onto Facebook and saw newly printed photos of this best friend sitting in a bar that was just up the street from where this woman lived...LOL.

The OP was p**sed.

They sound like teenagers. How about picking up the phone and just asking "are you coming to see me while you're in my city or not".

Instead they go around spying on each other to see what they're up to, and are actually doing what they say they're doing, and the others are so stupid they post pictures of we're they're at. Even after they lied about what they would be doing.

If you say you're too sick to go out, then don't post pictures of yourself at Joe's Bar and Grill drinking a beer...LOL.

Old 06-09-2012, 01:18 AM

1,909 posts, read 2,537,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Don't understand...people left myspace format to go to facebook for better format. Then facebook goes to that STUPID timeline...which was like the old myspace format.
Stupid.
I agree.
I hated all the background clutter that was on myspace. It was hard to read anything.
I liked the clean look of Facebook even if I didn't post often. I hate the new timeline and am really close to closing my account. I did enjoy visiting friends and families pages, but with the timeline I get lost. What annoys me the most is the way you can be reading something on the left side of the page and while you are reading it the page updates (or whatever it does) and what you are reading is gone and is now on the other side of the page somewhere that you need to search for. I just stopped going to any page with timeline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I hate the new timeline and every time I try to sign in it wants my cell phone number. I don't think so. My children insisted that I go on facebook and it keeps me from getting "are you all right" calls when I am trying to sleep. I like it that although our schedules are different we can all check on each other. I liked the way the home page was before it started limiting the posts. I like to see my friends talking to their children.
I hear ya!
What I get on my page now is some box with useless friend information. I have all the friends I want, thank you.
I no longer get updates from anyone. I do have a lot of games and such blocked, but not so much with people.
Personally, I think Facebook is trying to make me bored with this format and is hoping I will switch to timeline. Ain't gonna happen in this lifetime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
What I find amusing is some of the problems it causes by people who feel the need to advertise all aspects of their life.

There was a thread on here(non romantic relationship forum) by a MIDDLE AGED woman who was annoyed that her "best friend" never bothered to visit her while she was in her town.

So she logged onto Facebook and saw newly printed photos of this best friend sitting in a bar that was just up the street from where this woman lived...LOL.

The OP was p**sed.

They sound like teenagers. How about picking up the phone and just asking "are you coming to see me while you're in my city or not".

Instead they go around spying on each other to see what they're up to, and are actually doing what they say they're doing, and the others are so stupid they post pictures of we're they're at. Even after they lied about what they would be doing.

If you say you're too sick to go out, then don't post pictures of yourself at Joe's Bar and Grill drinking a beer...LOL.
My brother's adult kids are on Facebook A LOT. One son and daughter-in-law just a their second child earlier this year. Instead of spending time with the family, the two adults spent all day (and half the night) on Facebook - mostly playing games, but also posting to each other (and the world {each had no less than 400 friends}) about how much they loved each other and how they loved to sleep together and blah, blah, blah.
I find that behavior sad. Say it aloud to each other, not on a computer screen.
It also makes me sad that neither of them can spell or write. I can see what the schools of the 90s and 2000s taught - or didn't.
Now they both have full time jobs and then come home and get on Facebook.
I just don't get what the excitement is all about.

As to the rest of your post. It is sad and funny all at the same time. It happens a lot and there is just no way to stop Stupid!

Old 06-09-2012, 01:50 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
Oh, well, I think at least message boards with heavy traffic, like city-data's will keep going strong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies