Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 11:33 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,564,791 times

Advertisements

Ranchers are so used to being coddled; they have no motivation or incentives to change their practices in order to reduce predator losses. Why should they change animal husbandry practices when they can get the big bad government that they like to despise and disparage to come in and kill predators for them for free and even get environmental groups like Defenders of Wildlife to support paying for predator losses that are entirely avoidable?

But beyond those figures, wolf-hunting ignores a growing body of research that suggests that indiscriminate killing—which hunting is—actually exacerbates livestock/predator conflicts. The mantra of pro wolf-hunting community is that wolves should be “managed” like “other” wildlife. This ignores the findings that suggest that predators are not like other wildlife. They are behaviorally different from say elk and deer. Random killing of predators including bears, mountain lions and wolves creates social chaos that destabilizes predator social structure. Hunting of wolves can skew wolf populations towards younger animals. Younger animals are less skillful hunters. As a consequence, they will be more inclined to kill livestock.

Destabilized and small wolf packs also have more difficulty in holding territories and even defending their kills from scavengers and other predators which in end means they are more likely to kill new prey animal.

As a result of these behavioral consequences, persecution of predators through hunting has a self fulfilling feedback mechanism whereby hunters kill more predators, which in turn leads to greater social chaos, and more livestock kills, and results in more demands for hunting as the presumed solution.
Wolf Hunts Morally Corrupt | George Wuerthner | Community Blogs | NewWest.Net
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2012, 11:39 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
Oh, I agree that moose can be violent. They are huge, and very protective of their little ones.

In the U.P. they are usually in the deep woods. But they do come into towns from time to time. Not good to mess with them.

Overpopulation has become a thought for our Department of Environmental Quality (Michigan)

We have already begun a controlled moose hunting season.
Moose come into town in Anchorage, and everywhere else in Alaska. In fact, approximately 1,200 Moose live within the city limits of Anchorage year round. There have been a lot of moose stompings this year (including a 6 year-old girl), but fortunately no deaths.

Alaska residents warned about aggressive moose...

Moose hunting season begins September 1st and lasts 20 calendar days and the rack on the bull must be at least 54" across. The first rule about moose hunting: Never shoot a moose standing in water!

Unlike deer and elk, moose are so massive that you must field dress them where they drop, and you do not want to be cleaning them in knee-deep water.

Old 06-08-2012, 11:45 PM

4,428 posts, read 4,482,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Ranchers are so used to being coddled; they have no motivation or incentives to change their practices in order to reduce predator losses. Why should they change animal husbandry practices when they can get the big bad government that they like to despise and disparage to come in and kill predators for them for free and even get environmental groups like Defenders of Wildlife to support paying for predator losses that are entirely avoidable?

But beyond those figures, wolf-hunting ignores a growing body of research that suggests that indiscriminate killing—which hunting is—actually exacerbates livestock/predator conflicts. The mantra of pro wolf-hunting community is that wolves should be “managed” like “other” wildlife. This ignores the findings that suggest that predators are not like other wildlife. They are behaviorally different from say elk and deer. Random killing of predators including bears, mountain lions and wolves creates social chaos that destabilizes predator social structure. Hunting of wolves can skew wolf populations towards younger animals. Younger animals are less skillful hunters. As a consequence, they will be more inclined to kill livestock.

Destabilized and small wolf packs also have more difficulty in holding territories and even defending their kills from scavengers and other predators which in end means they are more likely to kill new prey animal.

As a result of these behavioral consequences, persecution of predators through hunting has a self fulfilling feedback mechanism whereby hunters kill more predators, which in turn leads to greater social chaos, and more livestock kills, and results in more demands for hunting as the presumed solution.
But in the end aren't they just animals? Don't let your heart go before your head. Killing a few wolves does not wipe them out. And no matter how free you would like them to be - people still occupy the land. And you can't go back. Humans are faced with encroachment from the wild. It's always been that way.

Old 06-08-2012, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post

While much of what you posted is true when it concerns wolves and their behavior, that is not the case with bears and mountain lions. Both bears and mountain lions are solitary critters, with very few exceptions. Unlike wolves, which are very social. That is why there are no bear packs or mountain lion packs, but there are wolf packs.

Hunting is not indiscriminate. As I previously mentioned, only a certain number of critters in certain areas are allowed to be hunted, and with very few exceptions they must always be male and of a certain minimum size and only hunted on certain days. Trapping may be indiscriminate, but hunting is not.

Old 06-09-2012, 12:08 AM

4,428 posts, read 4,482,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Trapping may be indiscriminate, but hunting is not.
Wow, I'm glad you brought up trapping.

Now I know Michigan's Upper Peninsula isn't Alaska, but we do have a wealth of nature that most of the lower 48 states don't. There is a ruggedness accorded to us as part of the Canadian Shield. Hundreds of waterfalls and such - you know, look up and there's a bald eagle. The U.P. is one of the most heavily forested areas in the country. So I say with pride, that I know what wilderness is.

Speaking of trapping, we have a very thriving mink trapping season. I know you have to leave the traps alone and then come back. It happens in October here. But if you're lucky, you might still be able to catch some beautiful rainbow trout with your fly rod while treading up the stream.

Old 06-09-2012, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Wow, I'm glad you brought up trapping.

Now I know Michigan's Upper Peninsula isn't Alaska, but we do have a wealth of nature that most of the lower 48 states don't. There is a ruggedness accorded to us as part of the Canadian Shield. Hundreds of waterfalls and such - you know, look up and there's a bald eagle. The U.P. is one of the most heavily forested areas in the country. So I say with pride, that I know what wilderness is.

Speaking of trapping, we have a very thriving mink trapping season. I know you have to leave the traps alone and then come back. It happens in October here. But if you're lucky, you might still be able to catch some beautiful rainbow trout with your fly rod while treading up the stream.
We also have lots of mink and ermine (a.k.a. stoats). Our rainbows/steelhead are world-record in size. You cannot even keep a rainbow if is it under 20" in length. 28" to 32" rainbows are not uncommon. As to bald eagles:

Eagles having lunch. - YouTube

Old 06-09-2012, 04:54 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Why doesn't anybody get upset over the cold-hearted slaughter of rats and/or mice?

Old 06-09-2012, 06:23 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
Quote:
Western States Killing Wolves By the Hundreds | Care2 Causes

From the article:
"Who are we to decide exactly how many wolves should be able to live? The gray wolf population isn’t even a fraction of its historic size back when they inhabited most regions of United States. State governments needs to let go of this unnecessary and merciless desire to control the population of animals who are just trying to simply survive."

How would you like 100 million buffaloes running through your neighborhood?

Wolves. I say kill 'em.

I live in a state where wolves are becoming a problem. Kill 'em.

Cattle Mutilation/Predator Kill Comparison Pictures - UFOlogy & Paranormal Field Investigation – UFO Nut.com – Unconventional Flying Objects Nonhuman Unidentifiable Technologies

I bet that Liberals will take the wrong position on this.
Last line is total proof this is a troll thread.

Especially since there is NO proof that only Liberals do or don't want to kill wolves.

The photo, if it's trying to prove anything terrible about wolves, only shows a predator doing what it's creator programmed it to do and that thing at it's feet is a dead DEER not a Hereford (or a UFO).

Personally , I wish we had wolves here to bring down the unnatural and destructive population of deer (AKA rats with long legs)

Old 06-09-2012, 06:28 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post
Only liberals think they can control nature.
No, they don't. Repugs think you can ignore nature and wilderness and the animals in it or use it and abuse it and it will just go on forever. That's because they are really stupid.

I think the OP is NOT a Liberal and he wants to CONTROL NATURE by killing all the wolves....weren't you paying attention???

Old 06-09-2012, 06:49 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,442,882 times
A controlled, sustainable population of wolves would be a good program. We can't go back to 1830, when the wolf numbers were high in many locales around the country and nature kept things in balance. Our environment today is vastly different and we're in charge of it to a large extent. If we manage it wisely, we'll continue to prosper. If we're irresponsible, our grandchildren will curse us for our negligence.

Wolves are a remnant of the pristine wilderness. And it's something that we as Americans feel a connection to, since our nation is so young in comparison to most. Just over a century ago, huge areas of the western states were still mostly untouched. Large predators like wolves, cougars, and bears serve to remind us of that recent heritage. I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking they should be protected from elimination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies