Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 08:42 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,087,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
i'll take you off ignore long enough to give you a reply:

you act like there's a finite supply of money.

i'll let you in on a little secret: there's not. The Federal Reserve can print money out of thin air. The government and the private sector are not in competition with one another for dollars.
Haha, you never had me on ignore, or you wouldnt have seen my reply.. haha

Hey Cletus, what you dont understand is if I buy something off of you, you get cash, and you can take that cash and pay someone to cut your grass, who then takes that money out to buy food, and the owner of the company and waitress go out and pay rent etc..
Quote:
Private sector banks can borrow from the federal reserve regardless of whether the federal government runs deficits or not.
Actually the banks loan money to the federal reserve in exchange for 6% return. Tell me Cletus, why would they loan money to you at 4%, if the federal reserve is paying them 6%?

You display your lack of comprehension of economics almost non stop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 08:42 AM

79,914 posts, read 44,174,531 times
Quote:
I agree. There is very little Obama could have done to avoid the situation we're in, of deflating private sector debt / inflating public sector debt.
We could have raised rates as opposed to cutting them. People would then have had even more of an incentive to save while making extra money to spend all without going into more debt.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:44 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,604,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
But thats not good news at all. If I cant take on more debt, then I cant invest, I cant buy, which doesnt create jobs, doesnt boost the economy, doesnt boost housing prices etc.

To pretend all debt is bad is just silly.
I could spend on my credit cards, or borrow form the bank, so to say it is impossible to borrow, is simply not true. Most people simply choose not to take on more debt at this time. If they did, then consumer spending would rise, so I am not saying debt is evil. I don't know why you think someone said all debt is bad. I think spending and debt taking will pick up as soon as housing market picks up. Spending will expand the economy, and shrink the national debt vs GDP ratio.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Hey, I'm just describing how the system works. You can accept reality or not.
But you arent at all describing how the system works.
Quote:
And yes, this private sector "money printing" caused rampant inflation (in some asset classes) between 1980 and 2008.
It did not. Stop just making things up

Old 06-11-2012, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
We could have raised rates as opposed to cutting them. People would then have had even more of an incentive to save while making extra money to spend all without going into more debt.
But the federal government cant afford rates being raised. For every 1 point increase its another $160B in yearly deficits.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:47 AM

Just for the record, that graph shows what the government claims is the inflation rate, not what it actual is/was.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:47 AM

39,861 posts, read 26,489,397 times
Individuals and businesses are waking up to the fact that crushing, unsustainable debt is devestating to their future. Unfortunately, the people in our government aren't that bright and are living in lala land.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
But the federal government cant afford rates being raised. For every 1 point increase its another $160B in yearly deficits.
Quit creating massive deficits.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I could spend on my credit cards, or borrow form the bank, so to say it is impossible to borrow, is simply not true. Most people simply choose not to take on more debt at this time. If they did, then consumer spending would rise, so I am not saying debt is evil. I don't know why you think someone said all debt is bad. I think spending and debt taking will pick up as soon as housing market picks up. Spending will expand the economy, and shrink the national debt vs GDP ratio.
Your credt card spending isnt going to bump up the economy because you have to take money out of the economy in order to pay it back. It just changes when it gets spent.

And no one said it was impossible, but its clearly far more difficult to borrow now than a few years ago. Dont pretend its not.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Quit creating massive deficits.
I agree, but you wont find liberals here saying that. They think higher deficits jump start the economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies