Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2012, 09:05 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,652,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Still tradition.

Where is your problem with God on your money?
What is your problem with the tradition before "under god" was insterted into the Pledge and god was added to the money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 09:07 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,667,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
guess that means most of congress and almost all of the politicians in the USA.
Explain.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
What is your problem with the tradition before "under god" was insterted into the Pledge and god was added to the money?

Whats yours?

Why is it a big fuss now, because God is on our symbolism? Are we not majority Christian?

Old 06-13-2012, 09:12 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,652,372 times
My big fuss is that the government has no business promoting religion. The court decisions that uphold the presence of "under god" in the pledge are wrong, plain and simple. While it is true that the Pledge of Allegiance as a whole is a civic exercise and not a religious observance, there is absolutely no legitimacy to the claim that the insertion of "under god" and the recitation of that phrase is anything but a religious statement.

The same is true of putting religious phrases on our currency.

What is more, the fact that you keep arguing that it belongs there based on the religion of a majority of the population actually supports my contention that it is all about religion, no matter what the Supreme Court says. You would strenuously object if I proposed and successfully agitated for the language of the Pledge to be changed to "one nation, subject to no god, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all." You would be right, and not because atheists are a minority but because we have no business asking the government to endorse or oppose religion.

The same principles applies to any other group who tries to get the government, which is not based on religion or religious principles in any way, to endorse your religion.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:23 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,147,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
He rules over all of creation.
Oh, look! a non-answer!

IF he rules over all creation he sure is doing a lousy job!...You missed some of my post you quoted...here's the rest you avoided:

So you don't believe in a democracy, you prefer a theocracy run by someone who no longer exists?

Who speaks for Jesus....the Pope? The Presbyterian ministers? The head of the Mormons?

Or does he just text you???

Old 06-13-2012, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinArmageddons View Post
The original settlers from Europe may have been Christian, but the founders were Deists who wanted our government to be secular.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:27 AM

Quote:
My big fuss is that the government has no business promoting religion. The court decisions that uphold the presence of "under god" in the pledge are wrong, plain and simple. While it is true that the Pledge of Allegiance as a whole is a civic exercise and not a religious observance, there is absolutely no legitimacy to the claim that the insertion of "under god" and the recitation of that phrase is anything but a religious statement.

The same is true of putting religious phrases on our currency.

What is more, the fact that you keep arguing that it belongs there based on the religion of a majority of the population actually supports my contention that it is all about religion, no matter what the Supreme Court says. You would strenuously object if I proposed and successfully agitated for the language of the Pledge to be changed to "one nation, subject to no god, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all." You would be right, and not because atheists are a minority but because we have no business asking the government to endorse or oppose religion.

The same principles applies to any other group who tries to get the government, which is not based on religion or religious principles in any way, to endorse your religion.

No one is promoting religion.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:28 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,147,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Whats yours?

Why is it a big fuss now, because God is on our symbolism? Are we not majority Christian?
Here's some more question you'll avoid answering:

IF "under god" is taken out of the Pledge what will happen?

IF no one ever said the Pledge again what would happen?

IF the Pledge was only said in it's original form what would happen?

IF "god" was taken off our money what would happen?

Why do like "god" symbolized on money? Does that represent the heart of christians? (Nevermind, I KNOW the answer to that!)

Old 06-13-2012, 09:30 AM

13,422 posts, read 9,950,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Blah blah blah.

We are a majority Christian nation. I shouldn't have to (and won't) dig up the statistics to prove this to you. Just because your feelings are hurt doesn't mean that I, or anyone else, will cater to you. Fortunately, the Court decided you and your ilk aren't winning the "under God" debate. Go back to your corner and cry some more with the other vile, disgusting atheists who find solace in empty platitudes.
Vile, disgusting atheist here! Just want to remind you that as a vile, disgusting atheist, it's not possible to hate God, as I don't believe there is one, per se.

As far as Jesus goes, I think he was a pretty cool mortal dude with some fine things to say, so I don't hate him either.

No tears shed on my end. If it makes you happy to have under God in your pledge, then I'm happy for you.

I'm not sure what Jesus would have to say regarding your gross mis-categorization of people who don't believe the exact same thing as you, but no skin off my nose.

I'm off to find some solace in empty platitudes. I know I had some around here somewhere.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:33 AM

Quote:
You see, your problem is that you have started a battle of wits but you're unarmed.

I never midquoted you, I was just trying to make some kind of sense of your bizarre discussion of the difference between apples and oranges and how the differences lie in their color and flavor. Sadly, that entire digression had nothing to do with the discussion of the Pledge of Allegiance.
You did misquote me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies