Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2012, 10:49 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Feel free to show me my own position. . . . Not the one you dreamt up in your pursuit of Mr. Strawman.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/24709860-post60.html

You quote it, and then add on digusting and vile and coward. Do you not agree with the thing you quoted and then added to?

Do you have an argument other than name calling and baseless personal attacks like accusing people of despising Jesus because they dare to point out the inconsistency of someone's position on changing the pledge?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 11:19 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,142,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
It was started by Native Americans actually. Do y'all want us to pray to the birds, rocks, and trees?
Why not? At least THEY, unlike "god" are real!!!!!

(BTW, NAs do not pray to them.)

Old 06-12-2012, 11:22 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Wrong. The "tradition" angle was tossed out in the OP:

(emphasis mine)

It was tradition to NOT have the "under God" line in the pledge for longer than it has been tradition to have it in there.

So, if he/she really believes the heart of the issue is upholding traditions, we should actually revert to the original wording. No?
I'm not defending "traditions." I'm defending the use of "One Nation Under God" in the Pledge. I'm not sure why you or the other poster are conflating my position with the position of another poster.

Old 06-12-2012, 11:25 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
http://www.city-data.com/forum/24709860-post60.html

You quote it, and then add on digusting and vile and coward. Do you not agree with the thing you quoted and then added to?

Do you have an argument other than name calling and baseless personal attacks like accusing people of despising Jesus because they dare to point out the inconsistency of someone's position on changing the pledge?
My argument is clear:

1) The family who filed a lawsuit in anonymity are COWARDS. If they have a problem with the pledge, then do it under the principle of sunlight instead of hiding from their unpopular position.

2) There's not a doubt in my mind that the family involved are far left liberal atheists who hate Jesus. Their ideology is vile, disgusting, and out of touch with the majority of Americans who have ZERO problem with the pledge.

3) You're not interested in tradition. You're interested in challenging the assertions pushed by the OP because you hate Jesus and his followers. Why else would you care? You seem to have taken up the cause of this family for them. If it walks like a duck.....if it quacks like a duck.............then most likely you are a God-hating far left atheist as well. The only difference is that they hide like cowards and you argue the point based on "tradition."

Old 06-12-2012, 11:35 AM

4,373 posts, read 3,227,364 times
When I was in high school (10 years ago now starting around 2001) I rarely if ever stood up and said the Pledge of Allegiance. It wasn't required at the time in the state of Virginia (I don't know if it is or not now) and I took a lot of flak or it. When questioned why I don't stand up for the Pledge, I had this to say towards a teacher:

"It is well within my Constitutional right whether or not I choose to stand up for the Pledge of Allegiance. While I have nothing wrong personally with the words and the whole deal itself, I am exercising my natural born and American rights by opting not to stand up for the words. I cause to trouble or mischief by doing this and I do observe the Moment of Silence."

It's poetic that I then entered the military for 4 years although I don't consider myself that much of a patriot back then and even now (OH NO! He served in the military and ISN'T a patriot of America?! That's Un-American! LOL) and did more to serve and protect my country than those who had a problem with me not standing for the pledge. Oh the irony

Old 06-12-2012, 11:43 AM

4,373 posts, read 3,227,364 times
Quote:
My argument is clear:

1) The family who filed a lawsuit in anonymity are COWARDS. If they have a problem with the pledge, then do it under the principle of sunlight instead of hiding from their unpopular position.
Thou Shalt not Judge. Or did you conveniently forget that and decided to do God's work for that goof up in the sky? Some religious follower you are.

Quote:
2) There's not a doubt in my mind that the family involved are far left liberal atheists who hate Jesus. Their ideology is vile, disgusting, and out of touch with the majority of Americans who have ZERO problem with the pledge.
Yes because you obviously know them personally. You're just assuming that's what they are because a family decided to challenge your precious little tradition with the words 'Under God' in the Pledge. We're a majority SECULAR nation, not a Christian one. Get your facts straight, thanks!

Quote:
3) You're not interested in tradition. You're interested in challenging the assertions pushed by the OP because you hate Jesus and his followers. Why else would you care? You seem to have taken up the cause of this family for them. If it walks like a duck.....if it quacks like a duck.............then most likely you are a God-hating far left atheist as well. The only difference is that they hide like cowards and you argue the point based on "tradition."
Thou Shalt not Judge, as I said earlier. You sure to do love spreading the 'word' of God, huh? That word being be one hatred and bigotry. I would call you a bigoted, unpatriotic, Anti-American since this family is exercising their RIGHT to challenge something, but that's beneath me. You know what you are and will have to live with it. I also feel sorry for you and I pity you. I pray (LOL) that your "God" will take mercy on your soul for spreading vile hatred in his name.

Old 06-12-2012, 11:46 AM

16,660 posts, read 15,654,903 times
Quote:
My argument is clear:

For a variety of reasons, the identity of a plaintiff is often concealed. It does not indicate cowardice. The lawsuit still takes place in public.

There is absolutely nothing at all to indicate the politics of a plaintiff that is trying to keep the government true to the Constitution be staying completely our of religion. As a matter of fact, the traditional definition of a Conservative was someone who read the Constitution from the viewpoint that forbids Congress from every actions unless explicitly allowed. Conservative and Liberal are not terms that have anything to do with whether someone hates Jesus. You are wayy out of line to accuse someone of something you have no evidence to support. Borderline personal attack.

Old 06-12-2012, 11:46 AM

11,755 posts, read 14,644,267 times
Quote:
My argument is clear.

. You're interested in challenging the assertions pushed by the OP because you hate Jesus and his followers. Why else would you care? You seem to have taken up the cause of this family for them. If it walks like a duck.....if it quacks like a duck.............then most likely you are a God-hating far left atheist as well. The only difference is that they hide like cowards and you argue the point based on "tradition."
Is it really possible that you are so ignorant? Atheists do not "hate jesus " or "hate god". We generally adhere to the principle that it is not possible to hate someone or something that does not exist.

We do hate the idea that theists should be allowed and eve encouraged to impose their misguided beliefs on the rest of us.

Old 06-12-2012, 11:48 AM

16,660 posts, read 15,654,903 times
Quote:
I'm not defending "traditions." I'm defending the use of "One Nation Under God" in the Pledge. I'm not sure why you or the other poster are conflating my position with the position of another poster.
Actually those are two phrases. "One Nation" was always in the Pledge. "Under God" was added 60-some years after the Pledge was adopted.

Old 06-12-2012, 11:53 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Really, these days it's not a big deal. I've been in classrooms over the past year in several school districts and pretty much none of the kids actually say the pledge..they just stand there, some do put their hands over their hearts but most don't.
In each classroom though they did stand; that is still required. But, given time, even that will be optional.

So you older folks..stop worrying. The kids don't say the pledge and I don't even know how many know the words to the pledge. It doesn't mean anything to kids today in public school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies