Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 09:42 AM

8,299 posts, read 8,606,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Could you please explain your logic behind your support for drug tests for employees who work for their money, but not for welfare recipients. It just makes no sense to me.
Yes, let's go ahead and throw more money into the money pit that is our welfare system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 09:43 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,898,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyraBrian View Post
Why do fiscal conservatives want to start another huge government program like drug testing?
I don't know. We should just abolish all welfare and this won't be an issue, eh?

Old 06-12-2012, 09:44 AM

1,063 posts, read 1,777,355 times
Quote:
We wouldn't drug test everyone. Just a random sample.
Move to north Korea...

Old 06-12-2012, 09:44 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyraBrian View Post
Why do fiscal conservatives want to start another huge government program like drug testing?
"Fiscal conservatism" has NOTHING to do with being fiscally responsible. It is simply "conservatism" by just another name.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:51 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,898,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorfml View Post
Move to north Korea...
I'm not a Democrat so I wouldn't find that country appealing.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:55 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
I'm not a Democrat so I wouldn't find that country appealing.
No democrat, liberal/progressive will. Chances are, they are into strict testing and social laws.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:04 AM

1,063 posts, read 1,777,355 times
Today's conservatives are all authoritarian followers. They would fit in perfect in north Korea...

Old 06-12-2012, 10:20 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
I do not see where "Liberals" support Private sector drug testing? Drug testing as it constitutes an invasion of my privacy. IMHO all an employer should know is I show up on tine and do my work in a proper manner. I also do not support drug testing welfare recipients.

Why do you RWNJ's assume Liberals support governments invading privacy? Liberals like me do not. Why do you support employers doing so? Why do employers concentrate their testing on workers and not executives? Why does signing an employment agreement strip away most of your rights as a citizen? Why do you let the corporations have so much power over individuals?

Old 06-12-2012, 10:23 AM

3,045 posts, read 3,193,246 times
Quote:
Could you please explain your logic behind your support for drug tests for employees who work for their money, but not for welfare recipients. It just makes no sense to me.
Why would liberals have to answer this? The question isn't a political one. Drug testing is done in the workplace for people with BFOQ's that require it. It's typically done where people are operating heavy machinery. Companies don't want the hassle of doing it for all employees.

I'm assuming your post here is about welfare. The problem with that is that there's a big expense to do it. There's also expenses you encounter when those people have to spend time with a doctor justifying medications or appealing anything that gets found. Something as easy as eating a poppyseed bagel can make you fail a drug test.

Then you find someone who has taken drugs. What do you do? Give them nothing? Give them treatment? In the case where you give them nothing, what is that desperate person going to do? Probably steal. Then you're left with another issue. Property damage costs money. Violence costs money. Arresting someone and charging them costs....a lot. As does housing a prisoner.

Most people's motivation here for drug testing is EMOTIONAL. They feel that someone else is getting ahead of their, usually not so great, lot in life and they get angry about it.

Perhaps instead of asking 'liberals' about this you could show some personal responsibility and find the information that's out there on the topic.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:25 AM

4,049 posts, read 5,032,096 times
Drug testing welfare recipients would be for a completely different reason than testing employees. You are equating apples and oranges. Employment drug tests are about safety, while welfare drug tests are to punish welfare recipients who use drugs. It 'makes no sense to you' because you are erroneously thinking they have the same purpose and outcome.

For the record, I disagree with preliminary drug tests for anyone. They are a waste of money. Sobriety tests on the job would be much more effective if there is suspicion someone is working intoxicated. If they're not intoxicated at work but just on their own time, it's not the employer's business anyway. This is supposed to be the land of the free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies