Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2012, 11:50 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,317,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
No they will not. Just stop, your fears are all unfounded. Stop being scared all the time. Go to Puerto Rico, which is even more Hispanic in culture and language than the southern border, and yet about half of us WANT to become a state, and the other almost half like living in the U.S. and learn English when we move to the States.
Out of sight, out of mind. Puerto Rico isn't on the mainland so we don't have to listen to them talking in Spanish all the time. Big difference!

Old 06-14-2012, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
He doesn't seem very bright on courtesy, ethics and morals
He earned no "right" to give his speech in Spanish. He could speak English and so could every other graduate at the ceremony or they wouldn't have graduated from a U.S. high school. All he did was snub those who weren't bi-lingual and their parents. The graduation was about the graduates, not his parents. He could have told them in private any special words he had just for them.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:55 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Again, with the defeatist attitude! Why would you accept this unnatural and unlawful change to our country's national language? Spanish is only "important" in the southwest. It holds no significance in any other part of our country. I can't stand it when Americans won't fight for their own country but roll over and say "oh, well" instead. It makes me very suspicious of their true agenda.
I'm not a defeatist. And I do give my opinion of it when asked. And I have written my Congressman (only he's pro "undocumented worker").

And I do see the creep happening in the US as I pointed out in other posts.
And when I am in the schools subbing I constantly say "English only in this room". And then I have 12 year olds telling me I'm discriminating against them because they are Mexican. Gee, where do 12 year olds hear this from ? Then I go one step further with them and ask..How do I know you are Mexican? You could be Cuban or Puerto Rican or Spanish from Spain. They can't answer that one. They only know one phrase "You're discriminating against me because I'm Mexican".

I'm not a defeatist, but until our government does something about this, I have to live with it and deal with it daily.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
If the valedictorian speaks Xhosa, then he or she earned it. There was Hebrew spoken at my college graduation, and our class speaker (voted on by the administration) addressed her family in Haitian Creole to a standing ovation. I don't speak either, but I didn't throw a hissy fit about being left out.

Valedictorian earns the right. Furthermore, you better believe I'm an entitled Spanish speaker. I have dedicated 10 years to speaking it, and am still far from fluent. It's always the monolingual who made it through 4 years of high school foreign language tops who seem to think that English comprehension and fluency happens overnight.
He "earned" no such thing. You don't earn the right to snub your fellow graduates just because you are valedictorian. Just who in the graduating class wouldn't have been fluent in English? Are you kiddiing me? They wouldn't have graduated then.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Assimilation and melting pot may have built this country up with each new wave of immigrants coming here but that is not what we practice today.

Today it's multicultural vs assimilation and salad bowl vs melting pot.
Diverse cultures can keep what they brought here and we can all co-exist together under the umbrella of "diversity"..you know, rainbows, lollipops, unicorns in the land of Utopia.

Personally I'd prefer the assimilation and melting pot and just let the food/holidays/customs prevail.
You know, like everyone becomes Irish on St. Paddy's day. Or a good Italian pizza, German pastry, etc.
Meanwhile we all speak English..the common "uniter".
Of this we can agree.

Old 06-14-2012, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Either it's stealth amnesty, or maybe the North American Union may be true after all, getting us used to living with Spanish speakers side by side, like Canadians have to do with Québec. Almost no one in the GOP cares, so it's no use for me to pop a blood vessel and worry about it if none of the politicians do.
It is the GOP that has bills pending about making English our official language not the Democrats. The last time is was brought up Harry Reid the Democrat called it racist.

We have every reason to pop a blood vessel when our national language is changing to Spanish via illegal immigration and other non-assimilating Hispanics. Language is one of a nation's cultural prides and we have every right to see that it is protected and respected. Do you actually think that the Mexicans and Mexico would welcome their national language being changed from Spanish to Mandarin for example due to an unnatural occurance of illegal immigration into their country? Why the double standards for us?

Old 06-14-2012, 12:07 PM

Quote:
We don't assimilate anymore..we co-exist.
Multiculturalism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's not a melting pot anymore..it's a salad bowl.
Salad bowl (cultural idea) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Yes, and that is sad but you seem to be ok with that?

Old 06-14-2012, 12:10 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,667,069 times
Quote:
I'm not a defeatist. And I do give my opinion of it when asked. And I have written my Congressman (only he's pro "undocumented worker").

And when I am in the schools subbing I constantly say "English only in this room". And then I have 12 year olds telling me I'm discriminating against them because they are Mexican. Gee, where do 12 year olds hear this from ? Then I go one step further with them and ask..How do I know you are Mexican? You could be Cuban or Puerto Rican or Spanish from Spain. They can't answer that one. They only know one phrase "You're discriminating against me because I'm Mexican".

I'm not a defeatist, but until our government does something about this, I have to live with it and deal with it daily.
If they are legally here they are American, not Mexican, Cuban or any other nationality.
They should definitely understand English.

Old 06-14-2012, 12:11 PM

Quote:

NO, you don't have to live with it or deal with it and that is where you go wrong. You are accepting of this by throwing up your arms in defeat and that very alarming.

Old 06-14-2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:
"English as the national language" bills have been brought forward in Congress since 2005.

But, they seem to disappear into "committees", never to be seen from again.
That's because the PC, bleeding heart Democrats don't want it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies