Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 12:36 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,813,297 times

Advertisements

You guys crack me up when you think that Jesse hasn't done and said things like this before or that Al Sharpton doesn't either. They talk about this topic and even have marches and events quite regularly in regards to black on black violent crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 12:40 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,690,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArchitect View Post
With a subject like this it is very easy for right-wing morons to hijack the thread with nonsense, hence the Trayvon Martin posts and old tired Jesse jackson bashing rhetoric.

But there is a problem here that liberals...black liberals in particular, have a disinclination to acknowledge. And that problem is the CULTURE that is the driving force behind the gang activity and violence. This degenerate ghetto culture, which rap music has long propagated and backward notions of "blackness" has enabled is the root.

Unfortunately the post-modernist relitavism influence current in liberal thought makes many loath to criticize the cultural flaws of historically abused groups for fear of "blaming the victim". This is a flaw strongest in minority intellectuals and is something that cripples them from being able to adequately address the problem that you see in Chicago. Which allows for it to fester and get worse.

I am myself black and progressive. I am also very independent and not given to intellectual fadism, and am happy to see when guys like Cosby stand up & say things that are not popular with many. Its good to see Jackson taking action. I hope his efforts get traction. I also hope he goes even further and addresses the underlying internal cultural and mentality problems, along with economic ones.
Agreed, particularly with the bolded paragraphs. It is an odd paradigm that causes people to defend the very words and actions that they should be condemning for no reason other than that it is somehow 'theirs."
I applaud Rev. Jackson for yet again trying to call attention to this issue. Unfortunately, his is not a voice apt to speak to those who need to hear it most. Unless/until some of those who profit most from this "culture" - I am thinking pro basketball stars, rappers, etc. - start to share the stage with the good reverend, his efforts will most likely fall on deaf ears.

Old 06-14-2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
The only difference is that they were better shots 20yrs ago (now they hold that gun sideways like little wayne told them) and faster response and medical tech

The attitude has not changed one bit..... and it is because liberals have been enabling this kind of behavior..... blame whitey, tkaing guns out of law abiding citizens hands, tying the hands of police trying to do their jobs etc.
You must be young. WAY before lil wayne there were images of black men holding guns sideways (think the movie "Friday" or any movie with Ice Cube in it and any of his videos and Menace to Society with Larenz Tate and countless other movies in the 90s and even early 80s rap videos).

Old 06-14-2012, 12:45 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,634,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
There wouldn't be a George Zimmerman case if black people put that kind of time, effort and emotion into their families and communities.
Yes, I agree. Zimmerman's black great-grandfather down in Peru shouldn't have raised his progeny to be a gun-toting macho vigilante killer.

Old 06-14-2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArchitect View Post
With a subject like this it is very easy for right-wing morons to hijack the thread with nonsense, hence the Trayvon Martin posts and old tired Jesse jackson bashing rhetoric.

But there is a problem here that liberals...black liberals in particular, have a disinclination to acknowledge. And that problem is the CULTURE that is the driving force behind the gang activity and violence. This degenerate ghetto culture, which rap music has long propagated and backward notions of "blackness" has enabled is the root.

Unfortunately the post-modernist relitavism influence current in liberal thought makes many loath to criticize the cultural flaws of historically abused groups for fear of "blaming the victim". This is a flaw strongest in minority intellectuals and is something that cripples them from being able to adequately address the problem that you see in Chicago. Which allows for it to fester and get worse.

I am myself black and progressive. I am also very independent and not given to intellectual fadism, and am happy to see when guys like Cosby stand up & say things that are not popular with many. Its good to see Jackson taking action. I hope his efforts get traction. I also hope he goes even further and addresses the underlying internal cultural and mentality problems, along with economic ones.
I do think there is a culture of violence in certain segments of this country but I do feel that you with your words will fuel those prejudicial posters here who will "agree" that black people have a culture of violence, that it is a part of our culture. Violence is not a part of black culture. The fact that less than 1% of black people commit violent acts is proof of this. There is a culture of violence in gangs, which I do feel are an issue, but one that is getting better, for black youths in certain areas (large Midwest cities, west coast, and east coast especially).

But to equate violence with black culture is a lie, black people do not have a culture of violence. I also am a black person and am an independent, nowhere near a liberal. I don't put much into what people say either (like I said above Al and Jesse have spoken on this subject before and even have had rallies and such but I don't put much into what they say and a rally or march will do nothing IMO to combat the issue) I like to see what people are doing, what sort of mobilization is going on if nothing is going on I don't take those people, groups, or organizations seriously.

Old 06-14-2012, 01:46 PM

10 posts, read 20,511 times
Well since the majority of crimes in America are committed by WHITES,whats the excuse for all of the white crime?

Old 06-14-2012, 03:56 PM

78,326 posts, read 60,517,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
You guys crack me up when you think that Jesse hasn't done and said things like this before or that Al Sharpton doesn't either. They talk about this topic and even have marches and events quite regularly in regards to black on black violent crime.
No they don't. They have anti-gun marches.

There is a distinct difference. If you don't understand this, perhaps you should ask Bill Cosby what happens when you don't just blame the guns....that have obvious mind control powers.....

Old 06-14-2012, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Black street crime is a jobs issue.

Too many black males are unemployed and under-employed. This creates a situation were too many guys are hanging in the streets more than they should while trying to earn illegal money because of a lack of jobs.

Jesse and others need to put a bigger emphases on the need for more blacks to invest in their communities to create more jobs for themselves. Black communities need to focus on becoming more economiclly self-sustaining. With a Trillion dollars in spending power Blacks have the money to do this more.
Um, many blacks with potentially investing might aren't desperate enough to invest in predominantly black communities. They let the Koreans, Jews and others do that....and get called blood suckers (by jesse) in return.

Oh wait, yeah...the LA riots...burn baby burn apparantly.

Please, be my guest....buy a 7-11 franchise and plop it down in a bad part of Chicago or LA.

My guesses:
-Time until flash mob....less than a year.
-Robbings per year....4+...and yes thats armed robbings.
-Assaults
-etc.

People with means are not desperate enough to invest in those types of communities. You need people risking everything including their lives.....and black people that got out with good degrees etc. are not in a big hurry to throw themselves back into that shat...they are NOT stupid. They got out for a reason.

Old 06-14-2012, 04:16 PM

2,003 posts, read 1,544,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
No they don't. They have anti-gun marches.

There is a distinct difference. If you don't understand this, perhaps you should ask Bill Cosby what happens when you don't just blame the guns....that have obvious mind control powers.....
Hilariously, when Bill Cosby was asked about the Trayvon Martin killing, he immediately blamed Zimmerman's gun for making him act recklessly.

Seriously, a lot of folks that like to comment on black people, show no knowledge of black people, and no desirefor any such knowledge.

Old 06-14-2012, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken View Post
Hilariously, when Bill Cosby was asked about the Trayvon Martin killing, he immediately blamed Zimmerman's gun for making him act recklessly.

Seriously, a lot of folks that like to comment on black people, show no knowledge of black people, and no desirefor any such knowledge.
Nice deflection but Cosby was talking about a specific individual emboldened by carrying a gun (and I agree with him).

He was not blaming the rampant amount of black on black shootings on guns which are largely gang and drug related and correspond to financial and family structure issues (and not skin color).

Essentially, you completely missed the point.

Seriously? Sigh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies