Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 10:04 AM

8,131 posts, read 4,328,096 times

Advertisements

My Dad and I kicked around an interesting quandary. . .

Obama has gone on record supporting gay marriage. This is in direct contradiction to fundamental Christian principles and beliefs. Does a Christian support someone who openly defies what God has directed?

Some would say homosexuality is no more of a sin than lying, cheating or stealing. I would tend to agree with that sentiment.
-- But there are no political agendas for the liars, cheaters or thieves of the world. There certainly isn't a presidential candidate endorsing that these sinners have RIGHTS either..

Others would say that the other candidate is likely sinful and has agendas that aren't 'Christ Like'. I would tend to agree with that sentiment as well.
-- But there are no other candidates publicly expressing their support for non-Christian values. Putting there on front street for the world to see and for the Christian to disdain. . .

In short, does a christian vote for the black man who does not respect a core Christian value? Or does he take a chance on the 'other guy' who isn't niave enough to express such divisive beliefs?

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 10:13 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,003,340 times
Vote on the issues as your conscience dictates. I'm not sure where "the black man" even has a place in this discussion. If the color of the candidate's skin factors into a person's vote, that person is too ignorant to be voting. Stick to the issues, leave color out of it.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:19 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
I thought the OP was about gay marriage, not race. How do they always manage to conflate the two?

What about the other Christian values, like charity, not casting the first stone, accepting outcasts like Jesus did? Why are fundies so selective about the Christian values they practice?

Old 06-13-2012, 10:21 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Vote on the issues as your conscience dictates. I'm not sure where "the black man" even has a place in this discussion. If the color of the candidate's skin factors into a person's vote, that person is too ignorant to be voting. Stick to the issues, leave color out of it.
Actually, color has lots to do with it considering that African American's are Christians by astoundingly large majorities, yet they voted at a rate of 95% for Barack Obama in 2008. There's no denying (NONE) that race was a factor in their decision to vote for the first (half) black President. As such, a particular quandry is put forth: Do African American voters pull the lever for their Christian beliefs, or will they stay loyal to the race?

Old 06-13-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Actually, color has lots to do with it considering that African American's are Christians by astoundingly large majorities, yet they voted at a rate of 95% for Barack Obama in 2008. There's no denying (NONE) that race was a factor in their decision to vote for the first (half) black President. As such, a particular quandry is put forth: Do African American voters pull the lever for their Christian beliefs, or will they stay loyal to the race?
No, it just means their brand of Christianity includes all the Christian values, like the Christianity practiced by most educated White people, many of whom also voted for Obama.

Christian fundamentalists have a lot in common with Islamic fundamentalists. Both groups are hysterical about gays. You have interesting company.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:28 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,003,340 times
Quote:
As such, a particular quandry is put forth: Do African American voters pull the lever for their Christian beliefs, or will they stay loyal to the race?
It's a good question. I know devout Christians of African American descent, some of which went for color and others for values. I'm sure we'll see more of that in 2012. My point was simply a matter of "should be" not of "how it really is." Should race factor into a vote? Anyone's vote?

Old 06-13-2012, 10:32 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
Some would say homosexuality is no more of a sin than lying, cheating or stealing. I would tend to agree with that sentiment.
-- But there are no political agendas for the liars, cheaters or thieves of the world. There certainly isn't a presidential candidate endorsing that these sinners have RIGHTS either..
Huh???? This isn't correct. I'm not aware of a presidential candidate calling for liars, cheaters, and thieves to be disallowed from contracting a civil marriage. Are you?

Old 06-13-2012, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
No, it just means their brand of Christianity includes all the Christian values, like the Christianity practiced by most educated White people, many of whom also voted for Obama.

Christian fundamentalists have a lot in common with Islamic fundamentalists. Both groups are hysterical about gays. You have interesting company.
You clearly know nothing about the gay marriage debate in African American churches across this country. African American's have been among the most vehement opponents of gay marriage. Only now are some beginning to hedge on their beliefs. Why? Because they still slobber over Barack Obama and hang on his every word. Others are still holding on to their beliefs, and are faced with a quandry.

Your post is laughable at best, and ignorant at worst.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
It's a good question. I know devout Christians of African American descent, some of which went for color and others for values. I'm sure we'll see more of that in 2012. My point was simply a matter of "should be" not of "how it really is." Should race factor into a vote? Anyone's vote?
Valid points.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:
You clearly know nothing about the gay marriage debate in African American churches across this country. African American's have been among the most vehement opponents of gay marriage. Only now are some beginning to hedge on their beliefs. Why? Because they still slobber over Barack Obama and hang on his every word. Others are still holding on to their beliefs, and are faced with a quandry.

Your post is laughable at best, and ignorant at worst.
So you don't deny you share views with Islamic fundamentalists.

fyi, it's spelled q-u-a-n-d-a-r-y.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies