Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 06:35 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,800,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
Where teachers educate their own children

Public schools no place for teachers' kids - Washington Times

that enough or you want more?

more than just slight proof, wouldnt you say?
FYI, 25% is not considered a majority. LOL!

Quote:
More than 25 percent of public school teachers in Washington and Baltimore send their children to private schools, a new study reports.
September 22, 2004
Public schools no place for teachers’ kids
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 06:35 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,312,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Isn't that the truth. Always seems the most ignorant people are the ones that are the most vocal advocates of homeschooling. Very frightening!!!!!
Yeah, they're a bunch of dummies alright.

Homeschool freshmen earned a higher grade points average (3.37) their first semester in college compared with the other freshmen (3.08).
Homeschool students finished their freshmen year with a better GPA (3.41) than the rest of their class (3.12).

Can Homeschoolers Do Well in College? - CBS News

Old 06-13-2012, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxBlueMan View Post
Thank you. Mission accomplished.

Although since you brought it up, I have to be honest with you. I was really going for sarcasm, and condescention. But, I guess I can settle for insulting. Just as long as you got the point.

As I said, Mission Accomplished.
Condescension. FYI. I learned that word in private, religious, school.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:36 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,527,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
The truth as defined by who? You?
OMGosh! Bill Clinton, is that YOU?! Coming over for a beer, if so!

Old 06-13-2012, 06:41 PM

336 posts, read 449,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
And the government doesn't "feed the kool aid"???
Who are YOU to decide what my kids should- or shouldn't- learn??
Why do you assume that an education given in a religious institution wouldn't be academically rigorous? Have you checked the state of our government schools??

I agree that the public schools aren't as good as they should be.

I suggest that ideally, ALL students go to the same public schools. That puts everyone in the same boat, and would insure that everyone pitches in to ensure all schools are good, for all students.

Every student, regardless of school district, parent wealth, area of the County deserves the same excellent quality education. (see Finland)

With all of the private, magnet, charter, and home school options, too many students have opted out of the sysytem, and no longer care about the quality of the public schools. We are becoming a Nation of haves and have nots. That's not good.

To answer your other question, I do not feel that parents have the right to keep their own children from learning basic science principles, math, and actual history, just because those facts may conflict with their religious teachings. So, in that respect, I am against any religious school that refuses to teach those basic facts, regardless of how rigorous it may be. However, if these religious schools actually teach the science and history, then I have no problem with them. (until we adopt the Finland model)

Old 06-13-2012, 06:47 PM

639 posts, read 827,942 times
sheer hypocrisy, I hate those "liberal" elitists

Old 06-13-2012, 06:47 PM

Quote:
I agree that the public schools aren't as good as they should be.

I suggest that ideally, ALL students go to the same public schools. That puts everyone in the same boat, and would insure that everyone pitches in to ensure all schools are good, for all students.

Every student, regardless of school district, parent wealth, area of the County deserves the same excellent quality education. (see Finland)

With all of the private, magnet, charter, and home school options, too many students have opted out of the sysytem, and no longer care about the quality of the public schools. We are becoming a Nation of haves and have nots. That's not good.

To answer your other question, I do not feel that parents have the right to keep their own children from learning basic science principles, math, and actual history, just because those facts may conflict with their religious teachings. So, in that respect, I am against any religious school that refuses to teach those basic facts, regardless of how rigorous it may be. However, if these religious schools actually teach the science and history, then I have no problem with them. (until we adopt the Finland model)
So, you are the expert. How would you feel if I told you that in my opinion, every child should get a religious education? Why is your opinion more valid than mine? Parents are the best experts when it comes to educating their children- not the government.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:51 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,191,594 times
Quote:
Oh my God. This is your proof? The first article doesn't even give a percentage, and the second gives this quote.

Nationwide, public school teachers are almost twice as likely as other parents to choose private schools for their own children, the study by the Thomas B. Fordham Institute found. More than 1 in 5 public school teachers said their children attend private schools.

So, let me get my electron calculator out and see if I can figure out what percentage '1 in 5' is.

I guess we already know that it must be more than 50% since that's the definition of majority, and you were so proud to get this 'proof' over to me right away.

Just give me a minute................

OK, I must have done something wrong the first time, because I got 20%. OK, let me try it again. Nope. Got the same answer again. Oh I see, I must be using one of those liberal calculators. You know, the one's that give you the truth, whether to like it or not?

Typical wingnuts. You've made up your minds, and now you refuse to be confused by the actual facts.

1st, i am not a wing nut.

2nd, you asked for the slightest proof, and when i provied that slight proof, all you can do is complain that it isnt enough. even though all you asked for was slight proof. 25% is not slight.

if romney won the potus by 25% over obama, people would be yelling from the rooftops about a landslide victory.

25% is alot more than even people like you would have believed.

how slight is it now?

somehow i think if would have provided proof that said 99% instead of 25% did it, you would have still said it was too little.

you did not want proof, you just wanted to spout off about how people could not provide you with proof and when someone did provide proof, all you are doing is trying to get out from under what you said as slight.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:54 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,527,574 times
Here's one of many reports from MSM about the fact that most homeschoolers excel above their govt. schooled counterparts.

Home Schooling goes mainstream - YouTube

Next is a peek into a typical homeschooling family, through the MSM. (I dig the park scene because we not only met with groups of families, monthly but took our curriculum just as a family and schooled at the park on beautiful, Hawaiian days, too.)

CNN Discovers Many Americans Are Home Schooling! - YouTube

Old 06-13-2012, 06:58 PM

336 posts, read 449,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
So, you are the expert. How would you feel if I told you that in my opinion, every child should get a religious education? Why is your opinion more valid than mine? Parents are the best experts when it comes to educating their children- not the government.

Nope, you aren't keeping up.

For 30 hours a week, we get to teach all children the same science, history, math, and actual facts. You know, stuff that's actually useful in everyday life

You would still have the ability to 'teach' your kids whatever mumbo jumbo you want for the other 138 hours of the week. As I said before, if this isn't enough time for you to permanently implant the chip, then you should re-examine the validity of your own beliefs.

And no, I don't think that parents are the best experts.

It wasn't until we allowed parents so many options (magnet, private, Charter, home) that the public schools started being dismantled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies