Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2012, 08:44 AM

5,466 posts, read 4,422,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post

How do you know that this is so common? Do you know many welfare recipients or are you just expressing a vague notion that you believe without evidence?

My experience is that poor people live on a lower standard than others -- living in a lower standard of housing; either have no car or a very old one; eat cheaper food; and do not spend on luxuries, as a rule
My experience is that they eat very well, and they loooove the sweets. Like someone told me, his girlfriend eats well, good steaks and all for about 3 weeks, on the 4th week they are out of money and the complaining you hear.... geeze. The other friend commented they should not know what steak tastes like. They pass their mentality on to the young ones where when getting of age then reproduce and then go on welfare too as a way of life.

I do know one girl, pedicures, manicures, regular visits to the salon while they were on welfare, steaks on the grill.

but she did go to Nursing school and is now an RN and no longer collects. From what I see it is a rare case. The best people to ask about this is landlords. I've been told some pretty crazy stories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 09:43 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,320,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eRayP View Post
My experience is that they eat very well, and they loooove the sweets. Like someone told me, his girlfriend eats well, good steaks and all for about 3 weeks, on the 4th week they are out of money and the complaining you hear.... geeze. The other friend commented they should not know what steak tastes like. They pass their mentality on to the young ones where when getting of age then reproduce and then go on welfare too as a way of life.

I do know one girl, pedicures, manicures, regular visits to the salon while they were on welfare, steaks on the grill.

but she did go to Nursing school and is now an RN and no longer collects. From what I see it is a rare case. The best people to ask about this is landlords. I've been told some pretty crazy stories.

I love when people talk about the poor like they are some foreign identity from another planet and the information that they do get come from some rich bastard who has never been poor or collect food stamps or came upon hard times. As a caseworker I found the biggest probelm that the poor have is that they have never been taught how to manage their money and never had enough to invest in anything. So if you parents did not know how to do it what makes anyone think that they could. Personal financial training is not being taught in public schools and the first time many people hear of it is in college, which many cannot afford to attend

Old 06-21-2012, 09:50 AM

Quote:
yet Obama and people would expect them to stay. But they will leave and they will employ people in other countries. Whats so hard for people to understand.
They are going to do that anyway under mitt but more because there will no incenitive for them not to leave. At least under the current president he might be able to entice them to hire here with tax cuts and other incenitives

Old 06-21-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
As a caseworker I found the biggest probelm that the poor have is that they have never been taught how to manage their money and never had enough to invest in anything. So if you parents did not know how to do it what makes anyone think that they could. Personal financial training is not being taught in public schools and the first time many people hear of it is in college, which many cannot afford to attend
Yes, I have been saying this all along and on many post. You are right, personal finance is not being taught in school. Soooo when I realized it was important I taught myself. I didn't have to be spoon fed. Its no ones elses fault but the one who expects to be spoon fed, its not the educational systems fault either. There is plenty of literature available on the subject.

Someone who somewhat financially educated is usually does so much better in life and lives better. You don't need to know everything but if you take a hard look at your own personal income and expense statement you will make better decisions based on that information. Your life would be much better for it.

The problem is, the poor tend to want to blame everyone and everything else. Right now, I will bet that rather than really taking a moment to really think about what I am saying, someone will post an "I'm a victim or its someone else's fault post.

Unfortunately the people who are not educated in basic finance are easily led by rhetoric.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Yes, I have been saying this all along and on many post. You are right, personal finance is not being taught in school. Soooo when I realized it was important I taught myself. I didn't have to be spoon fed. Its no ones elses fault but the one who expects to be spoon fed, its not the educational systems fault either. There is plenty of literature available on the subject.

Someone who somewhat financially educated is usually does so much better in life and lives better. You don't need to know everything but if you take a hard look at your own personal income and expense statement you will make better decisions based on that information. Your life would be much better for it.

The problem is, the poor tend to want to blame everyone and everything else. Right now, I will bet that rather than really taking a moment to really think about what I am saying, someone will post an "I'm a victim or its someone else's fault post.

Unfortunately the people who are not educated in basic finance are easily led by rhetoric.

But how can you get educated on something that you are not aware that you don't know in the first place. The poor as well as many of the working middle class are on "automatic mode" which is I go to work and I come home and repeat, and on the weekend I party. This is the mindset that the wealthy wants us to be in. If you are not educated in finances you will never get ahead, if you don't know your history you will repeat it (victimization?), if you are not well versed in political science you will have no idea what is going on.

I don't blame the educational system I blame the politicians for not funding or endorsing our educators to do their jobs. I really think that this is not by chance either, keep people stupid and have them to rely on faux and cnbc for all of their information about whats going on arounfd them

Old 06-21-2012, 12:33 PM

YOUR KIDDING! How can you NOT be aware! Are people really that stupid?

They know that the welfare check comes in -> Income
Bills are paid -> Expenses
Hense they know that personal finance exist -> Ask them when the welfare check is late.

And here we go again, blame everyone else. Yes, everyone agrees our educational system did not keep up with times. BUT! The bottom line is no one is responsible for anyone but themselves. If they would quit blaming everyone else maybe they can OPEN THEIR MIND ask themselves a reasonable question --->>>What can "I" do to make my life better.

So you are saying that they are not aware its ok to enable them to continue?

Step 1.
Learn basic personal finance -> Stay home from the party and crack a book open!

Last edited by eRayP; 06-21-2012 at 12:46 PM..

Old 06-21-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
I don't blame the educational system I blame the politicians for not funding or endorsing our educators to do their jobs. I really think that this is not by chance either, keep people stupid and have them to rely on faux and cnbc for all of their information about whats going on arounfd them
So instead of changing the curriculum, removing courses that don't matter and adding courses such as finance 101 making the most of these kids time, your answer is just throw more money at it. Unbelievable thinking

Last edited by eRayP; 06-21-2012 at 12:54 PM..

Old 06-21-2012, 12:59 PM

Quote:
YOUR KIDDING! How can you NOT be aware! Are people really that stupid?

They know that the welfare check comes in -> Income
Bills are paid -> Expenses
Hense they know that personal finance exist -> Ask them when the welfare check is late.
To further the basics

If income does not exceed expenses --> reduce the expenses OR since they can't make people give them more money like this POTUS and robbing will land them in jail, get an education for skills that are marketable for a higher income. Then again, with this POTUS there will be no jobs and we will either have to move and follow the jobs or be on welfare.

Learn that bad debt makes you poor. Most people do not know the difference between good debt and bad debt so I won't go over their heads with more.

Last edited by eRayP; 06-21-2012 at 01:16 PM..

Old 06-21-2012, 02:07 PM

3,417 posts, read 3,073,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I happened to catch this from Mark Levin the other day, found it striking, and decided to look it up on line when I got home.
Mark Levin

Economist Mark J Perry found this interesting factoid. According to 2009 IRS data, the 400 top taxpayers in 2009 shelled out $16.1 billion, while the bottom 50% of taxpayers totaled $19.5 billion in taxes, or less than 25% more.

Something to cite next time someone claims that the rich don't pay their fair share in taxes.

Note also how inherently unstable this structure is. What happens if just a few of those 400 decide to take their money and go to some small offshore tax haven? Wouldn't it be more stable to have a much more broad-based structure instead of trying to drain so much dough from such a tiny group?
They already do this.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:54 PM

59,059 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
But how can you get educated on something that you are not aware that you don't know in the first place. The poor as well as many of the working middle class are on "automatic mode" which is I go to work and I come home and repeat, and on the weekend I party. This is the mindset that the wealthy wants us to be in. If you are not educated in finances you will never get ahead, if you don't know your history you will repeat it (victimization?), if you are not well versed in political science you will have no idea what is going on.

The same people that say what you just said are the same ones defending our public education system and the wealthy have nothing to do with it.

why aren't the teachers and principles and the the other administrator's screeming for these types of subjects?

We hear about sex education, gays and lesbiens all the time. The local politicians cry about jobs yet they don't talk about the issues you bring up.

Where is Jesse Jackson and Sharpton on these issues? Where is Pelosi and the head of the DNC, I can't think of her name.

They find time to on TV and whine about everything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies