Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 08:29 AM

11,755 posts, read 14,639,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
It has to do with what sheep the liberals are. They are told to despise something so they do.
Setting aside the fact that the title of the thread is a lie, just for the sake of argument, maybe you could find us some evidence that we liberals are told to despise Mormons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 08:37 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,686,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
In all fairness, I was raised Roman Catholic and have 12 years of parochial school under my belt. Mormon beliefs are actually no more bizarre than those of mainstream Christianity. They're just different.
Granted mainstream Christianity has some bizarre beliefs, however do Catholics believe that the spirits of the Founding Fathers visited the Vatican?

"...The same president of the LDS church confirmed the Mormon belief that the Founding Fathers appeared as spirits in Utah's Saint George Temple to a previous president, Wilford Woodruff in 1877, and stayed for two days and nights in order to be properly saved by a Mormon baptism. ..."

Did Jesus Foresee The US Constitution? - The Dish | By Andrew Sullivan - The Daily Beast

As for the OP, greater public involvement will doubtless result in more people knowing what the Mormon church stands for. It is perfectly logical that after Prop 8 more people are wary of those who would deny equal rights to any American.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rick-j..._b_140804.html

Last edited by TigerLily24; 06-14-2012 at 08:46 AM..

Old 06-14-2012, 09:04 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,470,644 times
Mormons who believe in separation of church and state and other modern values are fine. Retrograde Mormons are not. Same as every other denomination.

Old 06-14-2012, 09:15 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,638,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Setting aside the fact that the title of the thread is a lie, just for the sake of argument, maybe you could find us some evidence that we liberals are told to despise Mormons.

I'd like to see that evidence, also.

It's amazing what people can dream up and then claim is truth...

Old 06-14-2012, 11:47 AM

29,409 posts, read 21,991,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
The evidence is in the link. I suggest you read it. Or you can also read the attacks in this very thread.

Old 06-14-2012, 01:56 PM

11,755 posts, read 14,639,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
The evidence is in the link. I suggest you read it. Or you can also read the attacks in this very thread.
I followed the link and read the article.

Starting from the top, quote to me from the article any evidence that I have been "told to despise Mormons", and by whom.

Old 06-14-2012, 02:38 PM

20,893 posts, read 16,067,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Granted mainstream Christianity has some bizarre beliefs, however do Catholics believe that the spirits of the Founding Fathers visited the Vatican?
No. They don't. But there is no Mormon belief that is more (or even arguable as) bizarre as the transubstantiation of the Eucharist. Ritual cannibalism is absolutely as weird as any religion ever gets.

Old 06-14-2012, 02:49 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,988,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
No. They don't. But there is no Mormon belief that is more (or even arguable as) bizarre as the transubstantiation of the Eucharist. Ritual cannibalism is absolutely as weird as any religion ever gets.
How do you come out with that one? The Eucharist (communion) is supposed to depict the Last Supper of JC. The priest gives a long narrative which describes what we are doing before we partake of the wafer and/or the blood (wine). Finding gold plates in New York? Wearing protective undergarments? God having carnal sex with the Virgin Mary? And many more unusual rituals. Now that's the sign of a cult.

Old 06-14-2012, 02:54 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,638,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
How do you come out with that one? The Eucharist (communion) is supposed to depict the Last Supper of JC. The priest gives a long narrative which describes what we are doing before we partake of the wafer and/or the blood (wine). Finding gold plates in New York? Wearing protective undergarments? God having carnal sex with the Virgin Mary? And many more unusual rituals. Now that's the sign of a cult.
Uh, no.

The wafer and wine are 'the body and blood' of JC.

Rather cannibalistic, IMO.

(and I was raised catholic so I know what I'm talking about)

Old 06-14-2012, 02:55 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,989,630 times
Default the anti-Mormon attacks have been coordinated by the pro-Obama media

From January of this year-

Associated Press's Plan Is To Mormon-Bash Mitt Romney

From April-

The Liberal Media Has a Religion Problem
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies