Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 03:25 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
No, it's not. I am majoring in ASL/English interpretation, which is a field that only exists because the two languages are completely unrelated. Not to mention, British Sign Language and American Sign Language are both completely mutually unintelligible to each other, even though both countries use English as the spoken language. Anyway, my point is, if we make English the only official language of the U.S., we not only leave out immigrants but also a whole group of native born-and-raised Americans.
Native Americans speak English and why don't you ever suggest that the immigrants learn some English?

They're the ones willing to abandon their own countries for the love of US money, you'd think they'd not mind learning a little English.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2012, 03:26 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,461,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Native Americans speak English and why don't you ever suggest that the immigrants learn some English?

They're the ones willing to abandon their own countries for the love of US money, you'd think they'd not mind learning a little English.
I've already suggested that about 5 times in this thread. Do you even read my posts? I have said time and time again, I think Spanish-speaking immigrants should learn English, and I think Americans should learn Spanish. Why not have both options?

Old 06-23-2012, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
What about those who are just visiting? Should they be expected to learn English for a week's vacation?
Sad that so many seem to prefer to personify the image of the "ugly American" right here at home.
Why not? Or if hearing English is such a hardship for them when they come to "visit" then there are plenty of Spanish speaking nations for them to visit. Just like if I were to go to Mexico, should I demand that I only hear English? Should I be shocked if all the clerks and mechanics, and store employees, bank tellers, waiters don't speak English?

Like I said -- if these employers hired Americans without discriminating against Americans, they could have enough employees to kiss the rear ends of the Spanish speaking and still hire some English speakers. A restaurant could have some English speaking, some Spanish speaking waiters to wait on just the Mexicans. Stores could have some clerks that speak English because like I said, there are some English speaking customers.

This is more than language discrimination because it's not necessary to require 100% of the employees have native Spanish fluency.

Old 06-23-2012, 03:35 PM

Quote:
I've already suggested that about 5 times in this thread. Do you even read my posts? I have said time and time again, I think Spanish-speaking immigrants should learn English, and I think Americans should learn Spanish. Why not have both options?
Why Spanish? Why not have Americans learn French, or German, or Russian, or Japanese? Is it because you believe that the Spanish speaking immigrants are the only immigrants to stupid or lazy to learn English unlike other immigrants and so you want to require that every American learn Spanish to cater to them?

Americans should have the choice to learn whatever foreign language they might want to learn, or learn something else.

Old 06-23-2012, 03:53 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,901,778 times
Quote:
No need for Americans to have to learn Spanish. English is the language of money and power. Spanish ain't. IF an American wants to learn Spanish; they should if they want to.

Old 04-18-2013, 02:06 AM

87 posts, read 97,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim6624 View Post
Keep voting Democrat "African-Americans" and you will continue your descent into obscurity. Hispanics are already the majority-minority, and their numbers are growing while yours are stagnating. Hispanics are already taking over your neighborhoods (ghettos) in California.

Keep up the good work!
As long as we can keep white men out of the highest office in the land. . . . .
I'm willing to take one for the team. It's not all that bad either, Latin women are hot and it seems Latin women gravitate to Black men and nowadays on the best coast "CALI" it seems we are creating a whole new race.

Gotta Love Minorities.

Old 04-18-2013, 06:03 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,648,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey3131 View Post
I'm willing to take one for the team. It's not all that bad either, Latin women are hot and it seems Latin women gravitate to Black men and nowadays on the best coast "CALI" it seems we are creating a whole new race.

Gotta Love Minorities.
This is true........if not I wouldn't be here.

Old 04-18-2013, 06:58 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,382,777 times
Didn't read the article but I was just thinking the other day that it may be a good investment at some point to really learn Spanish. My area isn't predomintely Spanish-speaking but who knows what could happen down the line.

Course if I lived in an area that was more Spanish-speaking, I'd definitely consider it. You have to constantly be learning, growing, improving if you want to stay gainfully employed.

Old 04-18-2013, 07:11 AM

3,740 posts, read 3,070,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I do think Blacks are getting the short end of the stick here. They keep getting thrown to the bottom of the pile by one group or another over the course of history.
Its called competition. Most are able to climb back up to or near the tops. Other(s), not so much.

Old 04-18-2013, 07:21 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,901,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey3131 View Post

Gotta Love Minorities.
Back in the day us "Irish" were NOT "white". LOL

Just be careful what you wish for; the US might get an Asian as POTUS and they have the rep of NOT being PC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies