Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 12:24 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times

Advertisements

I can believe the OP article since I was told I couldn't get a job due to not speaking Spanish before when I was younger (Je parle francais en peu). It really p'd me off too, it was here in Atlanta and was at a hotel not far from where I lived at the time. I thought it ridiculous.

Personally I don't have an issue with people speaking their native languages but I do think it is a strange to allow companies to discriminate against people who don't speak a minority language when that language is not necessary to complete the requirements of a job - like a cashier, or front desk clerk of a major hotel. I do feel it takes away jobs that non-Spanish people could qualify for just because a lot of people in this country won't take the time to learn conversational English, which is our official language.

And FWIW I worked for a major bank as well for about 5 years and we had branches in Miami and S. Florida and not all of our employees in those branches spoke Spanish, I would say the majority did not. I had frequent contact with them due to the nature of my position and I had to take over a lot of their duties when hurricanes, or the threat of hurricanes came through FL (which SOOOOOOO got on my nerves because most of the time it was just a thunderstorm and we'd be swamped with two departments full of work and people in Miami got paid days off for this).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 12:50 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,193,173 times
Regardless of who is what race or how they got here, it is sad and ridiculous that there are places in the US where one can be turned down for a job simply because they don't speak Spanish.

Old 06-14-2012, 12:53 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,007,212 times
What if anything can be done about it? Until the US identifies English as an "official language" employers can demand whatever language that they want.

Old 06-14-2012, 01:06 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,105,634 times
One man's prediction

U.S. Will Be Biggest Spanish-Speaking Country by 2050, Says Scholar - New America Media

Old 06-17-2012, 10:25 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
Regardless of who is what race or how they got here, it is sad and ridiculous that there are places in the US where one can be turned down for a job simply because they don't speak Spanish.
This is what America is turning into. Yes, speaking Spanish is becoming high priority because of the growth of Hispanic Americans.

Old 06-17-2012, 10:29 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
You clearly don’t know what you’re talking about! How does voting Democrat have anything to do Hispanics taking over our “ghetto” neighborhoods in California? Our numbers in America has never been the reason for our issues over time. That has been because of racism and oppression by guess who, whites. We will never vote in any meaningful numbers against our own interest you suggest. So stop trying to sell a pig with lipstick. All of these black vs. brown arguments are an attempt by racist for us to fight their battles. It’s just not going to work! We get along with other races and I suggest you do the same…
You simply can't be this naive. It's not going to be much of a fight. Hispanics are slowly usurping Black political capital. Blacks will have little power to influence policy going forward as a result. Defending one's political capital does not mean you hate someone else. You need to get that out of your head before it's too late.

Harlem Faces a Historic Shift - WSJ.com
Quote:
For seven decades, two African-American politicians—first Adam Clayton Powell Jr., then Charles Rangel—have represented Harlem in Congress, symbolizing the New York City neighborhood's status as the de facto capital of black America.

Now, redistricting under way by the state legislature combined with a fast-rising Hispanic population are threatening to overturn that history. There are more Hispanics than blacks in Mr. Rangel's district, raising the prospect that Harlem's roughly 200,000 African-Americans will lose their dominant role in choosing the district's member of Congress.

Similar issues are emerging in several areas around the country, including Southern California, where the growing Hispanic population ...
More

http://nbclatino.tumblr.com/post/230...a-challenge-to

Quote:
As demographics shift and political districts are redrawn, Latino politicians are challenging traditionally black or white incumbents. This is altering the political landscape - and threatening established political careers, especially those of African American elected officials.
In New York City, one of the most well-known African American congressmen, 81-year-old Charles Rangel, is battling to keep his forty-year Congressional seat in a newly redrawn district. The district includes Harlem, one of the country’s most powerful symbols of black political and cultural importance.

But there’s a catch - the newly drawn district is only one-third African American, and it is 55 percent Latino. Rangel is facing primary challenges from two other African Americans, as well as from a Dominican state senator, Adriano Espaillat.

“You can’t hold the world at a standstill; things change,” says political scientist Angelo Falcon, of the National Institute of Latino Politics. ”The challenge is how communities handle it,” he adds.

Old 06-17-2012, 10:34 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,895,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
You probably didn't see it, but you insulted two different groups in one post, one of which you supposedly are concerned about.

Bravo.
Insult? More like tim's telling the TRUTH. Sheesh!

Old 06-17-2012, 10:36 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,895,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Like you really care about Black unemployment.

Save your crocodile tears for gullible suckers who hate Hispanics.
Savior Faire: I DON'T like ILLEGAL aliens and I DON'T like people who protect them from being picked up and deported. I don't care what country the illegal alien is from. They could be Irish from Ireland and I'd still want them out of the US.

Old 06-17-2012, 10:37 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I can believe the OP article since I was told I couldn't get a job due to not speaking Spanish before when I was younger (Je parle francais en peu). It really p'd me off too, it was here in Atlanta and was at a hotel not far from where I lived at the time. I thought it ridiculous.

Personally I don't have an issue with people speaking their native languages but I do think it is a strange to allow companies to discriminate against people who don't speak a minority language when that language is not necessary to complete the requirements of a job - like a cashier, or front desk clerk of a major hotel. I do feel it takes away jobs that non-Spanish people could qualify for just because a lot of people in this country won't take the time to learn conversational English, which is our official language.

And FWIW I worked for a major bank as well for about 5 years and we had branches in Miami and S. Florida and not all of our employees in those branches spoke Spanish, I would say the majority did not. I had frequent contact with them due to the nature of my position and I had to take over a lot of their duties when hurricanes, or the threat of hurricanes came through FL (which SOOOOOOO got on my nerves because most of the time it was just a thunderstorm and we'd be swamped with two departments full of work and people in Miami got paid days off for this).
Yes -- and there is really no excuse to turn Americans away from these jobs, black or white. A bank can easily enough hire ONE Spanish speaker, or a store hire ONE cashier that speaks Spanish. A restaurant can certainly have one waiter or waitress that can be hired to accomodate these non-English speakers. The Mexican tourists and of course illegals and others who refuse to learn English can still be accomodated. There can be a sign put up for the Spanish speaking bank teller, or the Spanish speaking check out line.

You can see the language requirement for language translators but the skills required for most of these jobs are easily met by most Americans. Many of these black Americans looking for jobs are associated with the military -- there is absolutely no excuse to discriminate against them but it's blatantly being done. Their inability to speak fluent Spanish is just an excuse.

They are deliberately discriminating against both black and white Americans by insisting that 100% of employees must speak fluent native Spanish. You will see places with many employees, but 100% of them are Mexican.

Old 06-17-2012, 10:40 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
It's NOT just the banks. Schools are doing this too. "Bilingual preferred" is in postings for teaching positions at all levels of K-12. FWIW "bilingual" stops at grade 5 and it's English only from 6-12 so why are they looking for bilingual HS math and science teachers ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies