Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 11:44 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,010,414 times

Advertisements

Barack is biracial. Thinking otherwise is simply to elevate another agenda.

BTW mtDNA is passed maternally, meaning that his mother's genetic ancestry can be traced biologically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 11:45 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Culturally, Obama has never been black. He might be of the negroid race (well half anyway), but there is a heck of a lot more to being black than skin color. You can bet his lily white granny never whipped him up a batch of pigs feet and greens. He might be black on the outside, but lordie, lordie he be WHITE on the inside, don't you know.

20yrsinBranson
Pig's feet and greens don't make you black. I've never had pig's feet or chitlins or any of hundreds of other foods associated with black people, while I am sure that many whites - maybe even you - have.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:48 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,010,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Does it matter? He was born in 1961, and three years later he would have been able to sit anywhere he wanted. The balance of his life has not been subjected to "white only" anything. In fact, the balance of his life has been subject to "Affirmative Action," which we all know who benefited from that.

Try again. Invalid argument.
Good post. Whenever this topic comes up, all of a sudden people become allergic to common sense and logic.

Old 06-15-2012, 12:03 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,260,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
LOL. The first black president had to first "become" black.

How Obama became black - The Washington Post
Obama himself described how he became "black" in his 1995 memoir entitled, "Dreams From My Father: A Story of Race and Inheritance." David Maraniss's article is "over a decade late and a couple of million dollars short"....

Old 06-15-2012, 12:09 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,306,908 times
I called it here a few years back.

He will be black at the start and when the idiot becomes known as the worst President in our history those same people will do the normal ******* thing and change his color for him.

Once he leaves the WH as a total failure that he is watch the media slobs like Pyscho Ed and Loser Larry Odonnell change his color and be looking for the 1st black President again. Ed Schultz has already shown his true ways by mentioning last week about his white Mother when I cannot recall him ever mentioning her being white before.

I have already seen it with some posters here trying to move him from being black to mixed race after years of making sure he was the black President.

One of his own daughters told him if you do well it will be a huge step for African Americans and if you fail you will set them back years. Well his daughter needs to let him know he was a total let down and has been an utter nightmare for all Americans.

Old 06-15-2012, 12:28 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
He's half white too. What's wrong with being white? Why did he choose to not identify with his whiteness? Was it racism? Entitlement? Opportunity?

Barack Obama is cold and calculating. He knew exactly what he was doing when he decided that being half white wasn't the Golden Ticket that being a victimized affirmative action black guy was/is.
Did he ever say anything was wrong with being white? If he has let me know (other than the typical white woman comment about his grandma but even that is not something I see as being wrong with white people, I know a few typical black people).

I don't understand why you would think he chose to be black. He was born of mixed race and does not look white. To most people in this country, if you don't look white or Asian and you don't have straight hair (hispanic) then you are black. The country picked his blackness for him.

A few of my family members have married white people and I have bi-racial cousins, a couple of whom are now young adults and they say they are black too. Probably because it would look ridiculous for someone who is the skin color of Jill Scott or Cornell West to say they are white and the fact that our country bases race on looks. I have a friend who is half black as well but she looks white, basically could (pass) and she is presumed to be white all the time. She doesn't correct people when they think she is white but she does say she is bi-racial. It would be ridiculous (to a lot of people in our country, but not necessarily black people because most of us have family who look white but who were deemed black due to the "one drop" rule) for her to tell white people especially that she is black, she has sandy brown hair and green eyes and fair skin. The race people identify with is primarily attached to the way they look.

Quote:
No, it doesn't matter at all. He was born in 1961. He was 3 years old when the CRA was passed. He moved to Indonesia in 1967. Barack Obama NEVER had to deal with segregation.

Your argument is as corrupt as the guy you're defending.
I am black and also never experienced segregation, does that not mean I am black? I have white ancestors as well and I would bet I am over 40% European (there was a lot of mixing in my family and the majority of my ancestors were listed as "mullato" on censuses since the 1880s). I was born in the late 70s but am still black even though I never dealt with the oppression faced by black Americans pre-Civil Rights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet_ohara View Post
Does this mean you are content with others defining you, and on your skin tone no less.
It doesn't matter if someone is content with others defining them on skin tone, that is what happens, welcome to reality.

Quote:
Culturally, Obama has never been black. He might be of the negroid race (well half anyway), but there is a heck of a lot more to being black than skin color. You can bet his lily white granny never whipped him up a batch of pigs feet and greens. He might be black on the outside, but lordie, lordie he be WHITE on the inside, don't you know.

20yrsinBranson
This is freaking hilarious!!! Always can get some good laughs from CD POC room! My grandma never made pigs feet, I have had greens though (and damn good ones at that!) but we didn't eat pigs feet or pig ears or chicken feet or chitlins or any other nasty crap that you seem to think we eat all the time. My great grandma didn't even cook stuff like that and she was born in 1912.

And culturally, all black people are Americans. Contrary to what many of you believe, we really don't have too many differences culturally from white Americans except language in regards to the black vernacular. I know a lot of white people who eat greens and fried chicken and watermelon (mmmmmm, watermelon, I will have to cut mine up later for a good treat!) and other supposedly black cultural things.

Old 06-15-2012, 01:16 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,112,677 times
Quote:

20yrsinBranson
Let's face it... that's probably your most PC opinion about Blacks. I can't wait to hear what other traits you think Blacks have in common...

Old 06-15-2012, 03:02 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post

This is freaking hilarious!!! Always can get some good laughs from CD POC room! My grandma never made pigs feet, I have had greens though (and damn good ones at that!) but we didn't eat pigs feet or pig ears or chicken feet or chitlins or any other nasty crap that you seem to think we eat all the time. My great grandma didn't even cook stuff like that and she was born in 1912.

And culturally, all black people are Americans. Contrary to what many of you believe, we really don't have too many differences culturally from white Americans except language in regards to the black vernacular. I know a lot of white people who eat greens and fried chicken and watermelon (mmmmmm, watermelon, I will have to cut mine up later for a good treat!) and other supposedly black cultural things.
you say yourself, earlier in the same post....
Quote:
I am black and also never experienced segregation, does that not mean I am black? I have white ancestors as well and I would bet I am over 40% European (there was a lot of mixing in my family and the majority of my ancestors were listed as "mullato" on censuses since the 1880s). I was born in the late 70s but am still black even though I never dealt with the oppression faced by black Americans pre-Civil Rights.
This is probably why you do not do the "traditional black things" that I (and you) mention. You aren't any more black than Mr. Obama is.

20yrsinBranson

Old 06-15-2012, 03:48 PM

1,677 posts, read 1,668,459 times
Quote:
It doesn't matter if someone is content with others defining them on skin tone, that is what happens, welcome to reality.
Name one thing that 'black' people do to change that. When people group themselves that way and identify themselves by skin color, society will generally follow suit. See how simple that is?

Those little boxes and categories that others construct in their minds for you (or the poster I was responding to) are not based in reality unless you allow it become your reality. It is, however, human nature (to some extent) and is not limited to skin color. It is true for every aspect of life - dress, demeanor, economic status, education level, etc.

Quote:
A few of my family members have married white people and I have bi-racial cousins, a couple of whom are now young adults and they say they are black too. Probably because it would look ridiculous for someone who is the skin color of Jill Scott or Cornell West to say they are white and the fact that our country bases race on looks. I have a friend who is half black as well but she looks white, basically could (pass) and she is presumed to be white all the time. She doesn't correct people when they think she is white but she does say she is bi-racial. It would be ridiculous (to a lot of people in our country, but not necessarily black people because most of us have family who look white but who were deemed black due to the "one drop" rule) for her to tell white people especially that she is black, she has sandy brown hair and green eyes and fair skin. The race people identify with is primarily attached to the way they look.
You left out some pertinent information.

Most 'blacks' would consider her 'black'. This is not limited to 'white' people. Based upon my experience (and that of my family) many 'blacks' adhere to One Drop Rule. Many 'blacks' do not accept the concept of mixed identity - they expect an individual to choose; no, they insist upon choosing 'black' - even for the blue-eyed blondes.

Old 06-15-2012, 05:28 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
you say yourself, earlier in the same post....

This is probably why you do not do the "traditional black things" that I (and you) mention. You aren't any more black than Mr. Obama is.

20yrsinBranson
Her story is no different from that of most blacks in this country. Since when do you determine who or what is black in this society?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies