Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 01:43 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,479,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomAndLiberty View Post
Home School.Simple as that or Public School at home...considering both right now either way I control what is taught and when.
That's been termed, with some justification, as "educational inbreeding."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 01:43 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
In Mississippi ab+ will be starting this year, but not in every school. Prior to this year it was ab only.

I am showing that ab only, and high teen birth rates go hand in hand.
The facts are that 50 plus years ago abstinence was the only thing taught and the rate of pregnancy and sexually transmitted diseases was far lower.

I am not advocating abstinence only sex ed. I am completely fine with kids getting the facts. But there is more to the rapid rate of teen pregnancy and STD's than a simple lack of education.

IMO it's cultural. It's that teen pregnancy has become the cool thing to do for so many and nobody tells them it isn't.

Old 06-15-2012, 01:46 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
The Principal made the wrong call here, no doubt about that. But comparing it to "rape" is worse. And calling for private school is silly since they come with their own set of problems inculding kids and teachers who were dumped by the public school system (as a product of private school I know what I'm talking about). Homeschool? Well thats probably not a good option for most people anyway. The best solution is to be involved in your childs school WHEREVER IT IS. I wonder how many parent volunteers were in the room that day and if there were none then why? Obviously just having a sex ed lesson would have required parental notification.

The lines on what were to be discussed should have been planned out before hand with questions anticipated and answers at the ready. If this is "standard procedure" then that community needs to review their procedures.

Old 06-15-2012, 01:48 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The facts are that 50 plus years ago abstinence was the only thing taught and the rate of pregnancy and sexually transmitted diseases was far lower.

I am not advocating abstinence only sex ed. I am completely fine with kids getting the facts. But there is more to the rapid rate of teen pregnancy and STD's than a simple lack of education.

IMO it's cultural. It's that teen pregnancy has become the cool thing to do for so many and nobody tells them it isn't.
This is true. Culture has a lot to do with it. But it is easier to educate than to change culture. Maybe with education, and time, the culture will change.

We had 18 girls who were pregnant in the HS that I sub in (those were just the visible ones). I don't know how many children of students were in the day care at the school, but it took up two full classrooms.

Old 06-15-2012, 01:52 PM

1,438 posts, read 1,146,151 times
Quote:
How would you explain the transmission of herpes from genitalia to the mouth without telling someone that sometimes people put genitalia in their mouths?

How do you explain the necessity of wearing a condom to prevent diseases that can pass anally if you don't tell someone to wear a condom while having anal sex?

The principal was asked a direct question, and they answered. Hiding, and avoiding questions does not help stop the transmission of STDs, or reduce teen pregnancy.
The point is that kids should be asking their parents these questions. If we stop sex ed in schools, the parents won't have that crutch and will be forced to tell them eventually. Teachers should not be used as nannies. The are there to teach children acedemics it is the parents job to teach them about life. I realize this is not how it is, but it is how it should be.

Last edited by personwhoisaperson; 06-15-2012 at 02:03 PM..

Old 06-15-2012, 01:53 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,479,163 times
Quote:
Teen pregnancy rates are lower now than 50 years ago. (Teen birth rates were at their peak in 1957, actually--although of course abortion was illegal almost everywhere in 1957, so that's only part of the story.)

Old 06-15-2012, 01:53 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:

Well of course not. The schools indirectly are condoning early sex and at earlier ages.
What no one is taking into account is the maturity level of these kids.

Everyone seems to think it's lack of education. BS..they know plenty these days including details. More than past generations of 12 year olds. And the number of teen pregnancies, as you noted, is NOT going down.

Why HS yearbooks now have a dedicated page for the "pregnant seniors".

Old 06-15-2012, 02:04 PM

[quote=personwhoisaperson;24760781]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The sch

The point is that kids should be asking their parents these questions. If we stop sex ed in schools, the parents won't have that crutch and will be forced to tell them eventually. Teachers should not be used as nannies. The are there to teach children acedemics it is the parents job to teach them about life. I realize this is not how it is, but it is how it should be.
I wonder how many parents were like mine? Good church going folk who told me "don't do it until you're married".
I had a thirst for knowledge and a library card, so I learned the facts for myself. How many kids do you think do that today? How many do you think will just listen to what the other kids tell them, and not go find the facts?

Old 06-15-2012, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Teen pregnancy rates are lower now than 50 years ago. (Teen birth rates were at their peak in 1957, actually--although of course abortion was illegal almost everywhere in 1957, so that's only part of the story.)
Thanks for the information. I didn't know that.

Old 06-15-2012, 02:07 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:

I wonder how many parents were like mine? Good church going folk who told me "don't do it until you're married".
I had a thirst for knowledge and a library card, so I learned the facts for myself. How many kids do you think do that today? How many do you think will just listen to what the other kids tell them, and not go find the facts?
Something went wrong with your quoted quote. That was not my post.
That was personwhoisaperson that posted that, not me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies