Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 12:21 PM

2,765 posts, read 2,792,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
No you have thought nothing out. You completely forgot a little ***** in your battle plan called teachers unions among others. That would be the first hurdle to clear. Good luck getting them on board. lol
I am in favor of teachers unions. I am very sensitive to the world of teaching. Some teachers may object to the loss of the interpersonal contact between student and teacher but the plan would be to preserve all of the monetary compensations and tenure benefits that they enjoy now. If they really feel the idea is a threat to the kind of teaching they like to do, maybe the idea can be offered as an option instead of being enforced on all? So I'm flexible. That way, as school attendance drops and online learning rises, resources can be allocated according to how many use online learning and how many still prefer attending school. that way everybody gets what they need to do their job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 12:32 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankapotomus View Post
maybe the idea can be offered as an option instead of being enforced on all?
I'd agree as an option to the parent but this would not work for everyone.

Old 06-15-2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
So if the op system crashes the parents have to pay for it?? LOL. Good luck getting that to fly. Computers break a lot, software has to be re-installed, constant upgrades need to be made etc. You think the parents will do all that or should be expected to? Half the "users" can't even figure out how to turn the things on. Our local school has one IT guy on site. How many will be needed to run around plugging in the computer for folks to turn em on. How long will the teacher have to wait until everybody gets their password reset etc. and logged into the virtual classroom. Your plan has so many flaws just on the tech side alone. How do you stop the parents from taking the tests for their kids or hire somebody too. It will be odd all the 4.0 GPA's popping up on the radar.
Why do you keep coming back with these stupid minor problems as serious objections?

Oh my god, what if somebody's pencil point breaks??? What are we going to do then??? Oh my god, oh my god oh my god. We can't do this! We can't do this!

People buy and fix their own computers all the time. I bring up using computers for school and all of a sudden nobody has ever bought or fixed their computer before!

Are your serious with this? Where am I?

Old 06-15-2012, 12:34 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,000,960 times
Cheating is a minor problem? IT support and infrastructure a minor problem? Teachers unions a minor problem? LOL

Old 06-15-2012, 12:35 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,803,058 times
Quote:
Why do you keep coming back with these stupid minor problems as serious objections?
Why do you keep ignoring the BIG problems like the one I pointed out in post #59?

Old 06-15-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Threads like this make me shake my head sadly. One one side we have people who think govt can solve everything and make everything equal, no effort needed. These are the people running Democrats. Then we have ones like the OP who are so desperate to not pay any taxes they are willing to sacrifice everyone else because they seem to believe there is NO such thing as a common good. These are the people running the GOP.

Hint: Over half of what children learn in school is socialization, and while some would learn it elsewhere; this idea would create an innumerable number of unsocialized misanthropes, some of them violent. Yes, I know, you have your gun ready.
Well, it depends on what kind of socialization you get. Some socialization leads to violent people because it's so bad. But I am sensitive to the importance of socialization. It must be maintained. I certainly don't want to sacrifice people to save tax money,...I'm am a liberal. And just as school attendance is mandatory so should the extracurricular social activities we offer them be. So no argument there.

Old 06-15-2012, 12:42 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,000,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Why do you keep ignoring the BIG problems like the one I pointed out in post #59?
Well hell that's just another minor problem.

Old 06-15-2012, 12:43 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,937,765 times
Quote:
Well, if you live in the city or a big neighborhood where your child already has a lot of friends, you can forego the paid activities. Most kids have friends they do stuff with. if your kid has no friends, maybe you should work on that.
Most kids meet their friends at school because not every neighbor or neighborhood is loaded with children of the same age. Not all neighborhoods have a bunch of kids period but guess what? When you look for a house a Realtor may not be able to disclose familial status because of Fair Housing Act laws.

Old 06-15-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Let's look at an example of how reducing school taxes, but hiring a babysitter (assuming I could actually find one) would work out for me:

NC mandates a school year must be 180 days.

180 days x 8 hours = 1,440 hours per year

1,440 hours x $ 7.25 (minimun wage in NC) = $ 10,440.

In addition since I've paid the sitter in excess of $ 1,800 I would, as their employer, be required to pay 6.2% of all their wages in SS/Medicare taxes.

$ 10,440 x .062 = $ 647.28

My bill for online schooling would be $ 11,087.28. Just a bit more than twice what I pay in property taxes per year.

Yeah, I LOVE your plan.
Okay the baby sitter thing doesn't work. I'll think about this one.

of course, for the millions of students old enough to stay home alone, this is not a problem.

Edit: Okay, got it. Schools outside of home will only be used and built for students too young to stay home alone. We they reach the minimum legal age where they are allowed to stay home alone, they will be transitioned out of school into online education. Still saves an enormous amount of tax money when you think of how much high schools and college campuses cost to construct.

Last edited by Shankapotomus; 06-15-2012 at 01:02 PM..

Old 06-15-2012, 01:06 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,803,058 times
Quote:
Okay the baby sitter thing doesn't work. I'll think about this one.

of course, for the millions of students old enough to stay home alone, this is not a problem.

Edit: Okay, got it. Schools outside of home will only be used and built for students too young to stay home alone. We they reach the minimum legal age where they are allowed to stay home alone, they will be transitioned out of school into online education. Still saves an enormous amount of tax money when you think of how much high schools and college campuses cost to construct.
Except for the fact that you still haven't solved the issue that many kids won't do their school work in favor of watching TV or playing video games unless they have supervision.

Being old enough to stay home alone doesn't equal being mature enough to make the right decisions.

Last edited by UNC4Me; 06-15-2012 at 01:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies