Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 09:00 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,893,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redroses777 View Post
I am a Christian and don't hate the poor. I support helping people who are "down on their luck." These people are not "down on their luck" or just unable to find a job. These are individuals who are becoming permanently dependent on government through their own irresponsible choices.

I think we need a welfare system where the parents are forced to work with a case worker to get off welfare. For example, let's have a pregnant woman who settled for that jerk go get the counseling she needs. Many women who settle for jerks have other issues. Work with these people on developing some career goals. Help them find jobs or volunteer work. Make them get a GED because most jobs require one. Make these people volunteer for their welfare checks. Most of these people get childcare assistance anyway. Help welfare recipients start businesses and work with them to find talents they could market to the general public. Make them attend parenting classes. And of course, give them a course on birth control. Even though I am a Christian who doesn't believe is sex before marriage, I still think people need to know about birth control.
So many misconceptions -- so little time ... where to start?
Thread on fire in the California forum that relates to this same topic of welfare dependency and who is worthy and who isn't and who takes advantage and who doesn't etc.

As I have been contributing there:
• we DO have a welfare system where the parents are forced to work -- within a time-limited frame of two-years ... it's called TANF and has been the federal replacement for AFDC since Clinton signed it into law in 1996

• most welfare now goes to children (by far) and not to adults

• the majority of welfare families, including families with single mothers, include at least one working parent ... in other words: welfare support is going to mostly families that simply can't rise to federal poverty levels even when a parent is employed ...

• there have been studies made that conclude that welfare does NOT encourage increased family size ... that is: people are not making babies to collect welfare ... especially since welfare doesn't cover usually but less than 1/3 poverty level income and only lasts for the adults for two years ... although it lasts longer for the kids (as it should, they can't work)

• the number of familes receiving welfare rose from about 1 million in 1960 to a peak of 5.1 million in March of 1994, and then fell steadily to a low of 1.7 million in July of 2008. In the current economic crisis, it rose slightly again from 2008 to 1.9 million families served in Dec. of 2010 ... last data I have available.

• thus we see that there are 2/3 fewer families served by TANF welfare today than at welfare's height prior to TANF in 1994.

Summary: there is not any culture of dependency being fostered by the government.

Any questions?
sourced from the Congressional Research Service:
https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...Dhn61iXkIm_dKA

Bonus factoids (in case you hadn't noticed):
• there are 12.7 million people looking for work in the U.S. right now ...
• there are 3.5 million job positions open for hiring
So, no matter how much "motivation and hard work" 9.2 million people apply to getting off their "lazy"(?) butts, there aren't enough jobs to go around ... WHICH means there are a lot of hungry children right about now.

Double bonus point: welfare recipients, typically reviled and admonished by the arrogant working population as being one of the worst root problems facing the nation today, don't cause any of the truly dangerous, destructive, world or nation threatening problems ... you know, like war and poisoning the populations' minds and bodies and environment with toxic manufacturing, products, foods, etc, and they don't create fraudulent financial schemes that bring down national and world economies, etc. (I could go on all night) ... Those most destructive actions are the province of certain very sophisticated, highly educated, and generally very wealthy members of society's upper echelons.

So? You want to go around whining and bit*hing and complaining and vilifying destructive forces? Go pick on the real players and leave the poor and uneducated to their own brand of mere self-destructiveness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 09:34 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,800,800 times
Another example of one father, many children, and abuse of welfarel

Sister Wives, food stamps to fame. - YouTube!

Old 06-17-2012, 11:29 PM

9,006 posts, read 13,831,283 times
Castrate the men,that's all there is too it. I actually think they should be in prison for that,because they know good and damn well what they are doing.

Fathers who don't take care of their kids should go to prison,or better yet,be made to serve in the military for free. The kids are already taken care of with welfare,in some cases anyway.

Old 06-17-2012, 11:30 PM

9,006 posts, read 13,831,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund_Burke View Post
Convert welfare into a hard good system with work contingencies. Establish a system where women can check if the man they're seeing already has a litter.
Yes,men lie.
But some on here act like men are saints.

Old 06-18-2012, 08:06 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,414,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Fail.
Still didn't address me, and still blamed a different poster.
Great argument skills!
The failure is the collective mindset that sterilizing newborn males is acceptable.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:25 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,142,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
The failure is the collective mindset that sterilizing newborn males is acceptable.
The failure is the mindset that insists someone posted that sterilizing newborn males is acceptable....when they didn't.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:26 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,335,421 times
Quote:
Please link to the post that advocated the sterilizing of newborn males.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
The failure is the mindset that insists someone posted that sterilizing newborn males is acceptable....when they didn't.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:43 AM

4,921 posts, read 7,687,088 times
I remember watching a documentary about gangs. They mentioned one black woman who was a lifelong welfare recipient who spew forth sixteen offspring in seventeen years by multiple donors. The three oldest were in prison and all the others over the age of six were involved in gangs to one degree or another. These children have no more value to this women than welfare income and to the fathers these children have less value than a used condom. Even monkeys don't behave this badly.

If something isn't done soon, forced abortion, sterilization, or other method we had better start building far more prisons.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:08 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,109,464 times
In all the posts in this topic, has anyone come close to posting a reasonable "solution" to this problem?

Of course not b/c there isn't a reasonable solution to this problem. These men are obviously unfit to be fathers. The women are have their own issues. We wouldn't be teaching these women anything by denying benefits to raise their children. We'd be creating a more certain cycle of poverty & crime by denying these kids benefits. There are no solutions to this problem that don't disproportionately punish the children for their parents' bad choices.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:18 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Quote:
It was no collective mindset, it was ME. I was also very clear in saying that I would not push my fantasy on anyone.

Who is this "collective" of my mindset?

Holey sheiss try some reading comprehension.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies