Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2012, 12:32 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,452,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderAgeVoterRussian View Post
I believe in God and I value what he has said in his own words written in the Bible. Do you not believe in God?
No, I don't believe in God. God doesn't decide what's right, IMO.

Quote:
I finished for this year
Okay. For some reason, I thought you said something about having graduated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 12:33 AM

68 posts, read 41,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Homosexual isn't normal for me, but it is for some people... and I don't care if they want to marry each other, regardless. A better question might be, why do you care?
You don't want their lifestyle preference to start affecting everybody elses lifestyle, which they are doing through media and laws.

Old 06-17-2012, 12:35 AM

30,306 posts, read 51,908,733 times
Quote:
I believe in God and I value what he has said in his own words written in the Bible. Do you not believe in God?
As an Agnostic Reform Jew, I literally cannot answer that question.

But as an American and Libertarian, I also cannot use the Bible in debates over legal rights... the only text that should be relevant there is the Constitution, and even then logic (and equality) can occasionally overrule.

Old 06-17-2012, 12:37 AM

Quote:

But as an American and Libertarian, I also cannot use the Bible in debates over legal rights... the only text that should be relevant there is the Constitution, and even then logic (and equality) can occasionally overrule.
Not many people in the government right now are following the constitution. The government is trying to alter the constitution more than ever. But God's word is eternal so I have much more faith in his words more than our government

Old 06-17-2012, 12:37 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,942,534 times
Quote:

O.K. you lost me. How can you be both an Agnostic and a Reform Jew. Maybe I will learn two things tonight. I know you can be an agnostic Jew, but how do you become an agnostic reform Jew. Isn't that similar to saying you are an agnostic orthodox jew. Seriously, I don't get it.

Old 06-17-2012, 12:38 AM

Quote:
You don't want their lifestyle preference to start affecting everybody elses lifestyle, which they are doing through media and laws.
Who says I don't? There is no "gay lifestyle," as most of them are just like anyone else... and if they (or the media) have the ability to affect anyone's behaviors, that person was probably gay or bi in the first place.

I am a heterosexual woman who grew up in the San Francisco area, literally surrounded by the gay community - from my parent's friends, to my ice skating coaches, teachers, and my own friends, I probably knew almost as many gay people as straight. We even attended gay-themed plays/shows together, and read many gay-themed books in my private high school. None of that managed to turn me gay, so what's the harm? Everyone should be free to love who they choose, and if you can't handle their openness that is YOUR problem - not theirs.

Old 06-17-2012, 12:42 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,452,408 times
Quote:
Not many people in the government right now are following the constitution. The government is trying to alter the constitution more than ever. But God's word is eternal so I have much more faith in his words more than our government
Altering the Constitution requires a constitutional amendment. Have they been trying to circumvent the Constitution? To some extent, yes, but in many different areas. That's not exactly new. Laws put into place and actions taken by government have been ruled unconstitutional by courts for over two centuries.

Should you always have faith in the government? Of course not. Should you always have faith in God? Yes, if you believe in God and you feel that God's word is eternal. Should you believe that everyone else should put all their faith in God? No.

I'm out. Good night to all of you.

Quote:
Who says I don't? There is no "gay lifestyle," as most of them are just like anyone else... and if they (or the media) have the ability to affect anyone's behaviors, that person was probably gay or bi in the first place.

I am a heterosexual woman who grew up in the San Francisco area, literally surrounded by the gay community - from my parent's friends, to my ice skating coaches, teachers, and my own friends, I probably knew almost as many gay people as straight. None of that managed to turn me gay, so what's the harm? Everyone should be free to love who they choose, and if you can't handle their openness that is YOUR problem - not theirs.
The "gay lifestyle" is pushing laws and pushing it through the mass media. Many people don't accept gays as it is against God's words. Why would they keep trying to push their "lifestyle" into the public which is mainly straight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
O.K. you lost me. How can you be both an Agnostic and a Reform Jew. Maybe I will learn two things tonight.
Reform Judaism does not "require" a belief in G-d to participate... actually, they don't require anything besides respect for and a desire to learn the Torah. Most Reform synagogues teach the Bible/Torah as more of a learning tool, as opposed to the strict word of G-d, while also focusing on the historical and cultural aspects of being Jewish. Judaism is much more than a religion, as we've debated numerous times on this forum.

Last edited by gizmo980; 06-17-2012 at 12:54 AM..

Old 06-17-2012, 12:45 AM

Quote:
The "gay lifestyle" is pushing laws and pushing it through the mass media. Many people don't accept gays as it is against God's words. Why would they keep trying to push their "lifestyle" into the public which is mainly straight.
I can tell you're new here, as we've already discussed this ad nauseum throughout the forum... try a forum search, and I'm sure you will come up with some answers. LOL

But to summarize, nobody is "pushing their lifestyle," they are only being more publicly recognized these days. And with all the pushing of heterosexual images in the media, I think it's only fair! If you don't like it, there are plenty of other ads, shows, movies, etc, that you can read instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies