Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 03:59 PM

8,131 posts, read 4,326,602 times

Advertisements

Crime and Drugs (Walter Block Interviewed on WDSU, New Orleans) - YouTube

Go to 4:45 mark to see start of the debate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 04:41 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,124,530 times
Didn't watch the video but I've researched this issue and have made my own assessments.

Drug task enforcement is costing us billions a year and it is still doing nothing to stop Americans from getting drugs. Drugs are widely available in this country and they're still reasonably cheap compared to prescription drugs. So if you take a step back, and evaluate whether our current drug enforcement is working, you'd realize that we have a failed policy.

In addition to the fact that our policies aren't keeping drugs out of Americans hands (at risk of jail, fines, and death) they are also the reason we have such a high crime rate. The amount of violence associated with the drug trade is out of control. America has some of the most violent cities in the world. And within those cities, are neighborhoods, a collection of streets, with even much higher violent crime rates.

By legalizing drugs, and eliminating the criminal element, you could lower your murder rate and lower your expense for law enforcement. No doubt that it would probably be better for law enforcement as well because they wouldn't have to fear getting their head blown off over drugs or money. I can't speak for them, but I'd assume they'd prefer directing traffic and public providing public service to going on militarized and covert operations against gangs or cartels.

If we took the money that we saved from a reduction in enforcement costs and applied it to the drug rehabilitation of our population we might help lower our costs associated with drugs long-term. (law enforcement, court system, incarceration, public destruction, etc).

I organized the above into the reduction in costs.

By legalizing drugs, we'd also be able to raise a lot of additional revenue. We would probably never legalize certain drugs (crack, meth, etc) but by by taxing the drugs we do legalize we could raise billions in tax revenue. I'm assuming marijuana would be the 1st drug legalized, and there are tens of millions of marijuana users. The tax revenue we could raise by marijuana alone could be in excess of 1 Trillion dollars per year!!! Might not be enough to cut the deficit overnight, but could be a great start at paying off our debt and once again having budget surpluses.

Not only would we have additional tax revenue from a "sin" tax. But we'd also have additional tax revenue from businesses that could start legitimately in this country. Those businesses would have to pay taxes too which would generate even more revenue. Dispenseries and businesses associated with the new laws could provide a boost to the economy and a boost to the job market.

There's huge benefits to legalization in this country. I don't believe the concept that legalization or decriminalization encourages drug use. Usually, negative effects of certain drugs discourage drug use. Most people don't drink till they're stupid because of hangovers and/or what they do when they are drunk. Most people don't do crack or meth because they know it will control your life and kill you. I believe those factors will keep people from doing drugs, not some law that most Americans break anyway.

Economically its a good idea to legalize and decriminalize drugs instead of prohibiting them.

Old 06-17-2012, 04:44 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,271,710 times
The war on drugs has been lost. Period.

A smart society will think of another way of dealing with the problem. A smart government will think of a way to tax currently tax-free illegal drugs.

My theory has ALWAYS been to view drug addiction as a disease not a crime and treat it that way...it's taking a while for everyone else to catch up with me....

Old 06-17-2012, 04:45 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,857,391 times
SO we have spent billions on the war on drugs and achieved nothing.
Legalization will not fix people from wasting their lives nor will the war on drugs.

People will make stupid choices no matter which direction. If legal we will not see the cartels killing people in order to make profits. their business model will simple not exist any more.... For this alone we should legalize.

Prisons are filled with people that don't need to be there. We simply can't house the people doing illegal acts. The society simply can't afford to keep them illegal. I think it is cheaper to deal with the addicton issues than another war for nothing.

Old 06-17-2012, 04:48 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,857,172 times
Dope dealers should not be taxed.

The dealer will pump the money back into the economy; whereas, the government will give the money to shameful green energy companies, or Jamie Dimon.

Old 06-17-2012, 04:50 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
I thnik its really like saying that we would be better offf with out defense spending;because it cost money. Alos say let people keeep self desructing and tax them. It makes no sense if you really beleive that smkig cost society. Add the fiscal cost of treating addiction in medical cost to the social problems they cause and its a great toll overall.i have to really wander where people think that people addcited are goig to get that money for the tax. Proably the same place they fund their habit now by; crime or depriving themselves and their families.Make drug easily avialble isn't the soluaiton ;it just makes drug whch are a growig problem easlily avialable. Anyone want to tax bath salts and forget the problems with it?Anyone want their neighbors in the marijuana business'cocaine business? I don't thnik so as we ahve seen what its doen to California commiunties already.

Old 06-17-2012, 04:54 PM

12,265 posts, read 6,469,490 times
I think that a law that makes criminals of tens of millions of otherwise law abiding citizens needs another look.
I wouldn`t over estimate the anticipated revenue however. Marijuana grows in all 50 states.

Old 06-17-2012, 05:05 PM

45,230 posts, read 26,431,296 times
We need to end the drug war ASAP by decriminalizing them, not taxing them and giving the creepy criminal government another revenue stream to abuse.
Some of you drug warriors won't be happy until there is a cop in everyone's home (except yours of course) monitoring what a person puts into their body.
I wonder if the drug war were ended would you all start doing crack, meth, etc?

Last edited by Frank DeForrest; 06-17-2012 at 05:25 PM..

Old 06-17-2012, 05:19 PM

1,389 posts, read 1,312,670 times
Legalize drugs

Old 06-17-2012, 05:25 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,124,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I thnik its really like saying that we would be better offf with out defense spending;because it cost money. Alos say let people keeep self desructing and tax them. It makes no sense if you really beleive that smkig cost society. Add the fiscal cost of treating addiction in medical cost to the social problems they cause and its a great toll overall.i have to really wander where people think that people addcited are goig to get that money for the tax. Proably the same place they fund their habit now by; crime or depriving themselves and their families.Make drug easily avialble isn't the soluaiton ;it just makes drug whch are a growig problem easlily avialable. Anyone want to tax bath salts and forget the problems with it?Anyone want their neighbors in the marijuana business'cocaine business? I don't thnik so as we ahve seen what its doen to California commiunties already.
Your whole post is made on the assumption that legalization will increase consumption, increase crime, and cause more social problems.

I understand your reasoning, I just feel that its greatly, greatly flawed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies