Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2012, 06:57 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
In February, J.C. Penney introduced a new pricing scheme that largely did away with coupons and hundreds of sales events shoppers had come to expect, in favor of everyday prices. It launched an advertising campaign featuring comedian Ellen DeGeneres to coincide with the new approach.
The ads were hailed as hip, but critics faulted them for failing to explain the new pricing approach clearly enough. The company last month acknowledged that the ads had resulted in the loss of some longtime Penney shoppers who had looked for markdowns
JC Penney stock sinks a day after president exits | Reuters

Where does it say marketing with same sex couples failed?
It says the marketing failed to explain the new pricing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 06:57 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,998,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
You desparatly trying to tear down others by you negative comments make you look bitter. Try bringing something to the table. So you have a view on this issue, or do you come here just to sling mud?

Yeah, my view is this;
Your posts dont seem to have the vaguest clue how retail business works, so instead you point to Ellen and other side issues that have nothing to with what is actually going on with JCP.
They seem to be going down the same road as Wards.
Do you have any idea what went wrong at Wards?
Should I tell you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Unemployed interior design wannabees do that a lot, I've noticed. It's all they have.
That line is so old, and its a lie.
Get a new one.
Dont bother saying that your post isnt referring to me, because that would just be another lie.

Old 06-19-2012, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Yes, I believe companies place ads in gay mags, but JCP went "all-in" in the public arena.
So have many other companies. As I have already shown.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:00 PM

30,063 posts, read 18,663,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Just about every major company markets directly to gays. They don't seem to be having any problems.

Even Levis, Ford, Toyota, Chevy, Cadillac, American airlines, Delta, Progressive, Allstate, State farm, Kia, Subaru, Nike, Wrangler, Bud, Coors, Miller, and many many more market to gays. They aren't going anywhere.

Sure-

Show me the gay ad campaigns for those companies.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:00 PM

Quote:
It said THE ADS resulted in loss of core customers.

Are you calling the ad campaign a success? Yes, or no?
It says the ads failed to properly explain the pricing structure, which resulted in losing customers who have become accustomed to sales, and discounts. I said nothing about losing customers because there were gay people in ads.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Sure-

Show me the gay ad campaigns for those companies.
I have already shown some. If you want the rest go look them up.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:02 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Yeah, my view is this;
Your posts dont seem to have the vaguest clue how retail business works, so instead you point to Ellen and other side issues that have nothing to with what is actually going on with JCP.
They seem to be going down the same road as Wards.
Do you have any idea what went wrong at Wards?
Should I tell you?
Thanks for proving my point.

It's easy to bark "you are clueless", but when you fail to bring anything of any value to the table, all you manage to do is display your own lack of knowledge.

What I am getting from your meaningless replies, is that you think the gay ad campaign was a success, and if that is the case, you are in no position to call anyone else clueless. You are the clueless.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:03 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
It says the ads failed to properly explain the pricing structure, which resulted in losing customers who have become accustomed to sales, and discounts. I said nothing about losing customers because there were gay people in ads.
It said the ads caused the loss of customers.

Are you calling the ad campaign a success? Yes, or no?

Old 06-19-2012, 07:08 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,998,001 times
Quote:
Thanks for proving my point.

It's easy to bark "you are clueless", but when you fail to bring anything of any value to the table, all you manage to do is display your own lack of knowledge.

What I am getting from your meaningless replies, is that you think the gay ad campaign was a success, and if that is the case, you are in no position to call anyone else clueless. You are the clueless.
In other words, your post consists of "nanny-nanny-boo-boo.
I have yet to see anything of value from you on this thread, or, come to mention it, on that other thread where you got your butt kicked.
Now, I asked you if you knew what went wrong at Wards, which is where JCP seems to be headed, and if you cared to know what happened.
You didnt bother to answer.
Do you want to know or not?

Old 06-19-2012, 07:09 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,340,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
There is an old dictum in advertising: Show the product!
I think that the Fair and Square campaign would have succeeded if Penny had simply shown what could be bought at any time at a reduced price. They spent a bundle on ads that were so abstract that the clothes weren't even a part of the ads.

What is so surprising to me is that Target always shows the goods in a visually interesting and attractive manner. I would have thought that the former top notch Target guys Penny lured over would have realized this. Guess they weren't as top notch as Penny thought they were.

The fact is folks always like seasonal sales. The fair price strategy was a bust from the beginning, as there was no way to compare a regular priced item from one on sale. To make a comparison, a customer had to leave Penny's and go to another store!
It had nothing to do with gays- as often as not, a buyer who goes into a store by being attracted by a sale item often buys a regular priced item in addition to the one on sale.
You have some great points on marketing and merchandising. JCP coupons and sale events were like heroin for their shoppers. Kohls shoppers are cut from the same mold as the JCP shopper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies