Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 04:22 PM

59,029 posts, read 27,290,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
Your friends were scabs.
You don't know what a scab is!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 04:27 PM

56 posts, read 45,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Story #1

My neighbor is a union electrician. UNION PROUD bumper stickers on all three cars. (A Ford pickup and two Hyundai's)

Recently had a new deck built, house sided and new roof.

All Mexican labor.

When I asked him why he didn't use union labor, he said "It's too expensive".

Story #2

Another friend was a union President, before getting voted out.

Owns two franchises....non-union.

Another one with UNION STRONG bumper stickers on foreign cars.

When I asked him why they were non-union, he said "I can't afford it."

Story #3

A private club which I belong to is full of UNION PROUD guys.

Never once have we used or paid union rates for any work done at the new clubhouse.

My question is this....why do YOU demand union wages and benefits, but refuse to pay it yourselves?
Hmm, why do you demand minimum wage, and others to work for nothing in fields and classrooms, but refuse to pay it to yourselves?

Old 06-20-2012, 04:34 PM

56 posts, read 45,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I seen a lot of them critters.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:14 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,047,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I think I explained it pretty clearly and you know it too--try finding a union shop that will come to your house and build a deck. Good luck in your search.

It's just not what they do.

Another failure thread started by you.
There are over 66,000 search results for union roofers.

Roofers :: District Councils & Local Unions :: Directory Search

Here's just one of thousands of union carpenters who do residential work.

Local 20 Carpenters Union - Services

I could go on and on......

Old 06-20-2012, 06:19 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,047,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I think I explained it pretty clearly and you know it too--try finding a union shop that will come to your house and build a deck. Good luck in your search.

It's just not what they do.

Another failure thread started by you.
BTW....if you truly believe that union wages are fair, you should pay them to ANYONE who does work for you.

You won't.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:47 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,332,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
My point is this....if a union member demands union wages for his labor, shouldn't he pay the same when he hires labor?

There are union businesses that do small jobs.
Not many.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:51 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,332,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Technically it is someone who crosses a union picketline, but union guys working non union are scabs too.

Old 06-23-2012, 11:19 AM

59,029 posts, read 27,290,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
Technically it is someone who crosses a union picketline, but union guys working non union are scabs too.
You must have different dictionary then I do.

Old 06-23-2012, 12:12 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,104,724 times
The opening post is just an example of how much a union person loves being only on the receiving end of and idea that gives them an unfair advantage.

Old 06-23-2012, 06:28 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,458,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyngawf View Post
The opening post is just an example of how much a union person loves being only on the receiving end of and idea that gives them an unfair advantage.
Everyone is like that. People are looking after their interests firsts. The problem is that some groups have the power of unions behind, other are completely unprotected. Politicians are taking care of their personal interests first. Just see our congress. Military protect their veterans. Many government employees - the same.
But not unionized groups only. Dentists for example, would not allow a dentist from another country practice in the US. They are forced to go back and study 3 years(!) and then, pass a very difficult test. They say it for the public safety, but it is actually for the "safety" of the astronomical prices they charge. Same with accountants and lawyers. When I talk to our patent lawyer, they start a meter each time I call and charge us per minute. Can I do the same each time one of our customers call? They'll laugh in my face...
The point is that everyone does what they can to protect their ass and unions are ONE WAY. Those of us who don't benefit from such protection are left outside, at the mercy of the elements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies