Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 08:00 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,042,570 times

Advertisements

Story #1

My neighbor is a union electrician. UNION PROUD bumper stickers on all three cars. (A Ford pickup and two Hyundai's)

Recently had a new deck built, house sided and new roof.

All Mexican labor.

When I asked him why he didn't use union labor, he said "It's too expensive".

Story #2

Another friend was a union President, before getting voted out.

Owns two franchises....non-union.

Another one with UNION STRONG bumper stickers on foreign cars.

When I asked him why they were non-union, he said "I can't afford it."

Story #3

A private club which I belong to is full of UNION PROUD guys.

Never once have we used or paid union rates for any work done at the new clubhouse.

My question is this....why do YOU demand union wages and benefits, but refuse to pay it yourselves?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 08:29 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,972,499 times
Here are the most unionized countries in the World

Trade union membership statistics - Countries Compared - NationMaster

Here are the countries with the highest standard of living in the World

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_D...adjusted_HDI_2

You see how those list are very similar?

So you can go by the right wing OP's anecdotal stories or you can go with hard cold facts.

Old 06-18-2012, 08:44 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Story #1

My neighbor is a union electrician. UNION PROUD bumper stickers on all three cars. (A Ford pickup and two Hyundai's)

Recently had a new deck built, house sided and new roof.

All Mexican labor.

When I asked him why he didn't use union labor, he said "It's too expensive".

Story #2

Another friend was a union President, before getting voted out.

Owns two franchises....non-union.

Another one with UNION STRONG bumper stickers on foreign cars.

When I asked him why they were non-union, he said "I can't afford it."

Story #3

A private club which I belong to is full of UNION PROUD guys.

Never once have we used or paid union rates for any work done at the new clubhouse.

My question is this....why do YOU demand union wages and benefits, but refuse to pay it yourselves?

Why are you so personally angry at Unions?
let the free market decide.

Old 06-18-2012, 08:52 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,972,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Pure jealousy. Right wing propaganda has turned the US worker into someone who resents somebody on his own street who works to provide for his family via bargaining power through unions. These same people cry and whine when you want taxes raised modestly on the rich to help pay down the deficit.

I don't think it's going to ever register this generation at all. What's going to happen is when 9 out of 10 white kids are on the skids because there are no more middle class jobs, then they'll wake up.

They all are whistling past the graveyard now, thinking Junior needs to just fix his character flaws and he'll land a good job, unlike those "brown people".

Only then, when they see the damage their ignorance caused, they might start thinking unions aren't all that bad, despite what their parents said.

Last edited by padcrasher; 06-18-2012 at 09:36 PM..

Old 06-18-2012, 09:03 PM

1,001 posts, read 1,989,082 times
I'd like to share a quick and simple Story. The reason for the story is to explain what will happen to us as we dismantle the American Labor class one piece at a time.

My uncle has a farm. He has some produce and also has a Horse business that is run on his land. He recently undertook digging a retention pond to help with water supply next summer and so on. He place ad's on a local agra website as well as craigs list. He is old school and told me he only responded to "American names" because he was afraid he would get in trouble for hiring an illegal. He was paying 10$ an hour cash, under the table.

NONE of his white employes lasted more than a week. They all had stories about being laid off and will take any work and work harder than anyone else. They all either quit or stipe showing up. He called his feed supplier who put him in touch with another local guy that had about 25 migrant workers with visa's on his tomato farm. He hired one Guatemalan dude who somehow managed to show up every day on time with no car. He worked until the work was done......did not talk or give any fuss and was generally pleasant. It is now Mid june and he is still there every day since April.

I want to believe that Americans can still do the menial labor....but it is getting harder.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:04 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times
What's sad and ironic is they are raging against fellow Americans, which is exactly what the 1% wants. This$$$ is how Walker won in WI.

Yet they are voting against their interests and it will come to fruition, as they realize there are no decent jobs left for their kids, and no healthcare.

In the south, many white kids are presently interviewing for garbage wages with degrees from decent colleges, I used to recruit for B of A until it moved its major customer service to India.
Their corporate business model is 200% attrition, so no one gets any benefits or guaranteed salary. This is what "right to work" corporations want for America.

the rage against unions is apparently a right wing brainwashing tactic that some have ingested, hook, line and sinker.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:05 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Anecdotes...
Yep, thats incontestable prooof, yessirrebob.
If you pretend that doesnt take place, you're clearly wrong. There was a grocery store here that union employees hired non union employees at minimum wage to picket. They couldnt even be bothered to stand out there themself..

Old 06-18-2012, 09:07 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
What makes the OP sound angry? Or are you just making things up?

Old 06-18-2012, 09:23 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,881,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by to570717 View Post
I'd like to share a quick and simple Story. The reason for the story is to explain what will happen to us as we dismantle the American Labor class one piece at a time.

My uncle has a farm. He has some produce and also has a Horse business that is run on his land. He recently undertook digging a retention pond to help with water supply next summer and so on. He place ad's on a local agra website as well as craigs list. He is old school and told me he only responded to "American names" because he was afraid he would get in trouble for hiring an illegal. He was paying 10$ an hour cash, under the table.

NONE of his white employes lasted more than a week. They all had stories about being laid off and will take any work and work harder than anyone else. They all either quit or stipe showing up. He called his feed supplier who put him in touch with another local guy that had about 25 migrant workers with visa's on his tomato farm. He hired one Guatemalan dude who somehow managed to show up every day on time with no car. He worked until the work was done......did not talk or give any fuss and was generally pleasant. It is now Mid june and he is still there every day since April.

I want to believe that Americans can still do the menial labor....but it is getting harder.
Beyond the fact that your uncle is participating in the dismantlement of the American working class for his personal profit, what am I supposed to take away from this?

Old 06-18-2012, 09:25 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,755,730 times
I don't know how much this says about unions. I think your neighbor is an old fashioned hypocrite who wants to have his cake and eat it too. Like many in America. How many people complain about the economy (no one is buying my products, services, boo hoo), while they buy all their goods at Wal-Mart. That guy can't have it both ways, nor can the rest of us. We either race to the bottom, each looking out for the short-term, or we stand for something. I struggle with this because, I see a lot of "boutique" "hand-crafted" businesses in my town with pretty good products, but the prices are outrageous. Insulting actually. Or I can go to the big boxes and buy cheap trash. I really appreciate a fair value for well-made goods. I would like to think that is a good business model anywhere, but in America, the cheap trash usually seems to win.

Go ahead, get rid of unions, see wages drop, and see how many people can buy your services.

Last edited by Fiddlehead; 06-18-2012 at 09:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies