Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2012, 11:30 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,640,397 times

Advertisements

Well of course, this is not the fault of the student. The entitlement generation expects--no, "deserves"--to be granted a special exemption from problems of their own creation.

This student should be commended for her heroism, assured that she is special and gifted, and returned proudly to the university without delay. She should also consider legal action against the homeowners who are truly at fault, because they purchased a house in the path of the student's drunken train wreck, and failed to lock the doors to avert this situation in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 11:40 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,371,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugality View Post
If getting shot is not a consequence, what is? Do you want a public stoning? Would that make you happy?
That is exactly the kind of "justice" these people want. Going overboard is an American tradition, and it doesn't stop short of infiltrating our so-called justice system. They want to put this girl in crime school- err, prison- sorry, because she's such a threat to society. After all, it's obvious she was trying to do harm because of the gun she was holding when she smashed the glass door in and started walking off with their television set... or is the attitude here just wanting us to view the crime in that way?

Old 06-21-2012, 12:07 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,684,799 times
I don't care if I took the door off the f***ing hinges someone wanders into my home (I give them a chance to leave), and if they decide not to leave guess what? I will start to (as the kids say) bust multiple caps in said intruder's a$$.

Old 06-21-2012, 02:37 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,321,678 times
Default Girl shot while drunkenly trespassing could serve time

Stupid people do stupid things but that doesn't excuse them from breaking the law, she not only endangered her life but that of others, a missed shot could have harmed an innocent person. she's not above the law.

Old 06-21-2012, 03:10 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,169,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
do you think this girl should do jail time??? i think being shot was enough punishment..but that is just me.. alcohol can make you do some really stupid stuff

Girl shot while drunkenly trespassing could serve time

if she took the time to get drunk and was not willing to take the consequences of being drunk, then she should have not been drunk in the 1st place. she deserves the felony charge. she should also be glad that she did not lose her life instead of being just wounded.

Old 06-21-2012, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Stupid people do stupid things but that doesn't excuse them from breaking the law, she not only endangered her life but that of others, a missed shot could have harmed an innocent person. she's not above the law.
Okay, that's overboard. A missed shot would've been the responsibility of whoever fired it.

No way to excuse her, even if that were what we were all trying to do. She's already been shot. Without a time machine, she's not getting off the hook for this. So everybody calm down

Last edited by Vic 2.0; 06-21-2012 at 04:06 PM..

Old 06-21-2012, 06:33 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,318,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post
Is not the purpose of punishment to teach a lesson?

I don't think that she deserves jail time per se, but she does deserve community service or a fine and she really needs to attend substance abuse classes.
Getting shot isn't a sufficient lesson?

Old 06-21-2012, 06:34 PM

2,548 posts, read 2,159,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Getting shot isn't a sufficient lesson?
Apparently not.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:49 PM

46,217 posts, read 26,974,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
. Like I said, we're talking about one drunken mistake vs a series of provocations while sober.

How do you know that was one drunken mistake? That is a whole lot of assumption.....

Old 06-21-2012, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
How do you know that was one drunken mistake? That is a whole lot of assumption.....
When I said "We're talking about one drunken mistake", I meant that this is what we're discussing. Sure, this might not be the first time; anything's possible. But to the best of our knowledge, it is the first time. And everyone's case seems to be all about this one time, not theories that she's done this sort of thing before.

And, directed at the poster I was speaking with as it was, that qoute was addressing the differences between this case and a group of people who intentionally went out and caused mischief while sober. Not only setting foot on someone else's property, but being destructive there as well.

Last edited by Vic 2.0; 06-21-2012 at 07:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies