Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 07:17 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,344,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post
It is soda pop, not a slippery slope.
So then what would be a slippery slope in your estimation? Give me some examples.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 07:19 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,344,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
What a marvelous distraction. No big deal because the denizens of Cambridge mostly drink expensive water anyway.
These are your fellow self proclaimed intellectually superior left wingers you're talking about, Greg.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:22 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post
It is soda pop, not a slippery slope.
The dust never even settled in NYC on the soda ban:

Quote:
Health panel talks about wider food ban - New York News | New York Breaking News | NYC Headlines

One member, Bruce Vladeck, thinks limiting the sizes for movie theater popcorn should be considered.

"The popcorn isn't a whole lot better than the soda," Vladeck said.

Another board member thinks milk drinks should fall under the size limits.

"There are certainly milkshakes and milk-coffee beverages that have monstrous amounts of calories," said board member Dr. Joel Forman.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:26 AM

4,866 posts, read 5,677,571 times
The government shouldn't be telling you what you can and cannot eat or drink. To include local governments

Land of the free? My a ss!

Old 06-19-2012, 07:30 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,985,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
The government shouldn't be telling you what you can and cannot eat or drink. To include local governments

Land of the free? My a ss!

Nor should they be telling restaurants what they can and can't serve.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:43 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Well, isn't this the "healthy food" movement that everyone was glad to see happen in the schools ?
Only now it's moved out of the schools and into your restaurants.

What happens when "they" decide that this stuff shouldn't be sold in supermarkets ?

Slippery slope my foot. Just open your eyes. First decide what the kids will eat in school. Now decide what everyone will eat in restaurants. Next will be what one can or cannot buy in supermarkets.

Go on..tell me I'm wrong.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:43 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,620,425 times
Chipping away at our freedom, one piece at a time.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:45 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,817,540 times
As the Nanny state matures and blossoms it turns from a benevolent old aunt to a vicious oppressive controlling hag..That is it's natural progression.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:57 AM

23,541 posts, read 17,219,108 times
I think the slippery slope began with the law that requires you call MA state police to report you are driving thru their state to go hunting in Maine and have a pistol in your vehicle.

After that, anything is game for the bastion of the Kennedys where laws are suspended for the state royalty.

Next thing you know MA will elect EW!

Wonder how many hunters and shooters passing thru MA ever call? You think Maine might be upset as a sportsman's paradise.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:02 AM

4,272 posts, read 3,787,082 times
I look at it this way. Strip joints are banned within the borders of my community by ordinance. However, I can easily find places to watch women stripping their clothes off (yeah, I'm a pervert). My community has not banned me from that activity.

The soda ban is analogous. The people in the community are not banned from drinking soda. They probably have a liter in their refrigerator. They just can't get it from certain establishments within the borders of the community.

So, is this a battle over the right to drink soda, or is this a battle to be able to buy soda in town?

If the city government banned soda from a person's home, that is a battle I would gladly take up. But iI see this as battle over the inconvenience of having to go out of town to get your soda... big deal!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies