Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 12:43 PM

31,288 posts, read 20,662,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
And really, soda bans are simply a symptom of the larger problem, and that is that governments at all levels are becoming increasingly intrusive in the every day lives of the people. What Cambridge is doing under the pretense of public health is really an attempt to regulate consumer behavior. The government will always find a way to justify this sort of thing so long as the people allow it. That is why being indifferent to it is a problem. Goverment clearly does not fear the people anymore, and indifference amongst the people is a big part of why.

Exactly!!!!!!!!!!

And this is how Hitler started. He imposed restrictions "under the pretense of public health" just as you say.

Here is an example;

"The first modern attempt at restricting smoking was imposed by the then German government in every university, post office, military hospital, and Nazi Party office, under the auspices of Karl Astel's Institute for Tobacco Hazards Research, created in 1941 under orders from Adolf Hitler. Major anti-tobacco campaigns were widely broadcast by the Nazis until the demise of the regime in 1945."

Smoking ban - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Nazis also banned certain musical instruments "under the pretense of public health"....

NYC and Cambridge are no different than Nazi Germany in that regard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 12:45 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,776,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
It is totally worthy of a battle. Any government that is powerful enough to tell us what we can drink at a restaurant is powerful to do about anything it chooses.
If government BANNED soda from your home, I would completely back you up. I will not waste my energy and resources battling for the right to be SERVED soda anywhere I go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Yes, it is a slippery slope.

Government has no right to tell us what to eat, drink or smoke.

You may like the Nanny State telling you what to drink, but most of us don't.
You can smoke, drink, or eat anything legal to your heart's desire. So what if there are places that you can't do some things. You can't have everything, but you have more than you think you have regarding this issue.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
I have never seen such an uproar of idiocy over overly sweetened carbonation.

Why don't you people that are having a fit over the pushback of the corpoprate food industry ever make this much noise about the additives and toxic junk entering the food supply for the sake of Food Inc.'s bottom line?

Quite simple, really. I have a choice as to what food I buy. If company A puts trash in their food as you suggest, I can go to company B.

But I don't have a choice if Big Government passes these Nanny State restrictions.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:46 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,246,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post
If government BANNED soda from your home, I would completely back you up. I will not waste my energy and resources battling for the right to be SERVED soda anywhere I go.

You can smoke, drink, or eat anything legal to your heart's desire. So what if there are places that you can't do some things. You can't have everything, but you have more than you think you have regarding this issue.
But you have less today than what you had yesterday.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Why should we limit "regulating consumer behavior" to the advertizing industry?

How is the advertizing industry regulating my behavior?

Old 06-19-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Drinking soda sweetened with High Fructose Corn Syrup with out any regard to what it does to you. Similar behavior to smoking tobacco. You are trading a short term feel good for a long term health problem.

So what? And I doubt that you have any evidence that says one soda per week at a restaurant has caused health problems.

But even if it did, we don't need Big Government telling us what to eat, drink or smoke.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
OH THE HORROR! We have a right to make these decisions ourselves. I do not recommend drinking a case of soda a day, or a six pack of beer, or smoking a pack of cigarettes. But I profoundly believe in the next guy's right to do so if that's what he chooses.

Correct!

I drink about 2 sodas per year, so it would not affect me personally to ban them outright. But I will fight for the next guy's right to choose to drink sodas every day or every hour.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:51 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,776,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
But you have less today than what you had yesterday.
It is insignificant.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:53 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,246,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post
It is insignificant.
Maybe to you, but not to others. They see it as principal, not "so I'll buy my soda somewhere else".

Old 06-19-2012, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
This is most likely geared towrds kids who will inadvertently drink more when the size is larger, when in reality, they will be more than satisfied with less to begin with.

The link's info is misleading as I just heard this discussed on the radio and they are not banning soda, they are serving it in smaller size cups just as NYC will be doing. Much ado about nothing...again!

Hmmm.... the link is to the City Council web site and is quite clear.

And the issue is the same even if you were correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies