Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 07:32 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,452,677 times

Advertisements

‘Deliberate Distortions’ and ‘Mythmaking’

Quote:
In early May we were introduced to an upcoming biography of Barack Obama by Washington Post writer David Maraniss. Back then, Maraniss advanced the idea that Obama’s memoir, “Dreams From My Father,” was riddled with fiction and composite characters. Now the book is out, and that narrative is quite clear and leading to some stunning conclusions.
Quote:
The latest news regarding the Maraniss book, “Barack Obama: The Story,” is swirling around how Obama described his grandfather, a central figure in “Dreams.” Obama has always portrayed him as an oppressed figure that was taken away by the British and held captive, and other family members have even said he was torture. That, it seems, is not true.
David Maraniss‘ New Book ’Barack Obama: The Story‘ Reveals ’Deliberate Distortions’ | TheBlaze.com

Yep, I know, the faithful won't take any interest in this and will just shoot the messenger. I find it completely expected of him to fabricate just about everything about his past, present and future.. What a sham this guy really is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 07:42 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
This President has advanced through his life and career by living a lie. He's a walking, talking fraud of epic proportions. American's have caught on to this. He's done in November. Not a doubt in my mind.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
This President has advanced through his life and career by living a lie. He's a walking, talking fraud of epic proportions. American's have caught on to this. He's done in November. Not a doubt in my mind.
No doubt here either. I do see that many have finally caught on also.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:46 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,859,732 times
So you adopted a critique as real? Because someone who doesn't like Obama says something makes it true? You don't like him so you adopt that as supporting your desired beliefs and therefor true....

Interesting way to validate.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:48 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
So you adopted a critique as real? Because someone who doesn't like Obama says something makes it true? You don't like him so you adopt that as supporting your desired beliefs and therefor true....

A nation of birthers will be changing the administration in November.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:50 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
I think it's cheeky for someone who is still young to write their autobiography. That goes for you too, Marco Rubio.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:03 AM

13,685 posts, read 9,009,247 times
Interesting. If Grandfather died in 1979, then he may have met his grandson. If he told his grandson about his torture, and the grandson included it into his book, who is at fault?

The link also cites Sarah Obama, who also talked about the torture in 2008. Where did she get the story from?

The grandfather may well have made up the whole story, much like we have some 50 million Vietnam vets running around.

Anyway, those who are capable of critical thinking will neither reject, nor embrace, such stories immediately, but will think and wait for any new evidence, if any.

I will note that I have not seen any 'animus' of President Obama's toward the British government as the article claims. Perhaps the writer was referring to the removal of the Churchill bust?

Old 06-20-2012, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post

A critique? There are people who knew him that said it never happened. You Obama nuts will believe anything the guy says without ANY proof at all.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Interesting. If Grandfather died in 1979, then he may have met his grandson. If he told his grandson about his torture, and the grandson included it into his book, who is at fault?

The link also cites Sarah Obama, who also talked about the torture in 2008. Where did she get the story from?

The grandfather may well have made up the whole story, much like we have some 50 million Vietnam vets running around.

Anyway, those who are capable of critical thinking will neither reject, nor embrace, such stories immediately, but will think and wait for any new evidence, if any.

I will note that I have not seen any 'animus' of President Obama's toward the British government as the article claims. Perhaps the writer was referring to the removal of the Churchill bust?
Obama himself is at fault if he was told a lie and never confirmed it before putting it into writing, that's a no brainer. I guess if your Obama, you don't have to fact check, which is quite obvious by now, and you are supposed to be believed. As far as his disdain for the British goes, it's well known and that IS the reason he sent the bust back.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:48 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,077,572 times
Am I the only one not stunned by these "stunning conclusions?"

Anyone who has ever done family history will recognize the phenomenon of differing recollections of the same event after decades (or in this case more than half a century). All family stories, even first hand accounts are a mosaic of real and imagined details. In my own case for example I have two completely different (and mutually exclusive) stories of how my grandfather lost his eye as a small child. There is (as in this case) no documentation to prove one over the other.

Among the "stunning conclusions" of this circumstance, deliberate myth making or falsification of the facts does not make the short list.

These "stunning conclusions" are yawners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies