Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 01:26 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,663,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Piffle. I am a cancer survivor. I have family and friends who have had breast cancer and are surviving.

I believe this woman has an agenda. Of the variety of swim suits available, she was unable to find one that didn't hurt her scars? A tankini with the underbra cut out should not "hurt her scars". She doesn't walk around the neighborhood topless, does she? She seemed quite comfortable in the tank top she was wearing when interviewed on the film clip. For my money, I don't care if she swims topless. But her reason is specious and I won't let her tell me she is trying to make a case for every mastectomee.
Finally, a sensible post that speaks of experience.

To me, the topless bit and the no nipple bit are irrelevant. She's on some kind of ridiculous mission.

I'm sure there are swimming pools in rehab places where she could swim topless to her heart's content.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 01:41 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,945,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
I don't think she's infallible or above criticism. I just don't think it's that big a deal to go topless if you don't have any breasts to show to begin with. Does that mean that female-to-male transsexuals who have had top surgery can't go topless either? I take issue with the fact she's held to a different standards from the numerous breast-less men that walk around topless. Her chemo-related nerve pain is just an added reason to the list, but I would argue the same even if she were pain-free.
nim,I think you may have misunderstood my position. I don't care that she swims topless if she so chooses. My opinion is that she is looking for something more than an opportunity to swim topless in a public pool with the permission of the people who are in charge of the facility because once her petition to do so was approved, she reversed her stance and decided that she would reject their approval of her proposal so she could make a case for all women cancer victims. Run-on sentence or not, it states my opinion, my opinion, succinctly.

And that's all I have to say. Reading through the comments here, I am led to believe that many people only got as far as "the decision to prevent her from swimming topless was reversed". And I also believe that many people decided I was cruel and heartless and couldn't possibly understand what cancer and pain were like.(I've had both) Whether they really believed that or just pretended to, I am none of those things. I am in all things very fair and measured. And entitled to my opinion, whether or not it agrees with everyone else.

Old 06-26-2012, 01:53 PM

1,922 posts, read 3,984,168 times
Quote:
nim,I think you may have misunderstood my position. I don't care that she swims topless if she so chooses. My opinion is that she is looking for something more than an opportunity to swim topless in a public pool with the permission of the people who are in charge of the facility because once her petition to do so was approved, she reversed her stance and decided that she would reject their approval of her proposal so she could make a case for all women cancer victims. Run-on sentence or not, it states my opinion, my opinion, succinctly.
Was any of this in the article? I have to re-read it. I missed that part.

Old 06-26-2012, 01:57 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,980,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj21 View Post
Only people with "special" glasses that allow them to read things that arent there got to read that part.

Old 06-26-2012, 02:52 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,456,176 times
Quote:

And that's all I have to say. Reading through the comments here, I am led to believe that many people only got as far as "the decision to prevent her from swimming topless was reversed". And I also believe that many people decided I was cruel and heartless and couldn't possibly understand what cancer and pain were like.(I've had both) Whether they really believed that or just pretended to, I am none of those things. I am in all things very fair and measured. And entitled to my opinion, whether or not it agrees with everyone else.
I get what you're saying. I respect your opinion. I was just clarifying that for me it's not about the cancer--it's about the double standards between men and women.

Maybe for her it really is about the cancer, though. I don't really know or care because either way, I think she should be allowed to swim topless if she doesn't have breasts.

Old 06-26-2012, 03:30 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,602,741 times
Quote:
My opinion is that she is looking for something more than an opportunity to swim topless in a public pool with the permission of the people who are in charge of the facility because once her petition to do so was approved, she reversed her stance and decided that she would reject their approval of her proposal so she could make a case for all women cancer victims.
This was NOT stated anywhere in the article.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post

I'm sure there are swimming pools in rehab places where she could swim topless to her heart's content.
Really? Can you provide a link to one of these rehab places where people are free to do laps in the pool for exercise without being there for rehab?

Last edited by helenejen; 06-26-2012 at 03:40 PM..

Old 06-26-2012, 04:20 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,945,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj21 View Post
You can follow the link in post #146. I did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Only people with "special" glasses that allow them to read things that arent there got to read that part.
I don't wear special glasses, just plain old ordinary ones. And I used them when I followed the link in post #146.

[quote=helenejen;24914655]This was NOT stated anywhere in the article.
quote]

The original article was not the only one referenced in this thread. Try going back to post #146, follow the link to the ABC news article. I did.

Old 06-26-2012, 04:33 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,602,741 times
Quote:

The original article was not the only one referenced in this thread. Try going back to post #146, follow the link to the ABC news article. I did.
Good for her! She doesn't want everyone with a double mastectomy to have to deal with the Parks and Rec Department like she did. Sounds like just might succeed in having a policy put in place:

""If I want to approach the parks department personally again to see if I can have a meeting with them to try to sway them to try to make it more of a policy decision instead of just unique to me." And Seattle Parks and Recreation could possibly be doing just that. "We'd like to hear from people who have had surgeries and hear what they think might be an appropriate approach and listen to that and possibly shape a policy out of that," Dewey said. "But in the meantime we will look at the policy case by case."

Nice of her to think of others!!!!

Old 06-26-2012, 05:44 PM

30,306 posts, read 51,908,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
No it shows you think public places should cater to EVERY INDIVIDUAL. That is not possible. That is whey we have private pools for a situation like this. Not really rocket science.
Yes, sometimes individuals and their circumstances ARE considered in public places... dogs aren't allowed in restaurants, but they make exceptions for service dogs. Right? I work in a public library myself, and just today made an individual exception. Whoa!! This kid needed to work on a summer school project, but had lost his library card and didn't have a parent present to show ID (for issuing a replacement) - so I made him a guest computer pass for the day, which we're only supposed to do for adults.

It's called using your best judgment, and having some compassion & understanding for unique situations. I know these pools are often staffed by teens, but I'm sure they can still handle using a shred of common sense. Or maybe I'm giving them too much credit, if the lack of sense by certain adults here is any indication.

P.S. Parks & Recreation is typically "governed" by the same department as library services, so I know for a fact that exceptions are allowed at the employees' discretion - especially when we're referring to somebody with a disability or medical condition.

Last edited by gizmo980; 06-26-2012 at 07:08 PM..

Old 06-26-2012, 05:55 PM

30,306 posts, read 51,908,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Finally, a sensible post that speaks of experience.

To me, the topless bit and the no nipple bit are irrelevant. She's on some kind of ridiculous mission.
Yeah, it's incredibly ridiculous for her to want cancer survivors/patients to be free to exercise without unnecessary pain, caused solely by an illogical rule which shouldn't even apply to her. How ridiculous!!

Do you guys listen to (read) yourselves ever? Hard to believe this makes sense to somebody who's clearly not stupid.

Last edited by gizmo980; 06-26-2012 at 07:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies