Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 09:26 PM

858 posts, read 707,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
You seem to believe that only a government program or five can provide health care... that private sector solutions haven't a prayer.

Is there some reason for that?

I didn't necessarily say that. I did ask what the Republican's plan is to help provide health care for the millions of people without it. Are they willing to keep the provision where kids can stay on their parents plan longer? How about not allowing health care companies deny plans for pre-existing conditions? These are all people benefitting from this law who Republicans are ready to throw back into the uninsured pile
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 09:48 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,458,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
If this part of the bill is not struck down by the court and the mandate is the Republicans will move for full repeal, the strange part is the Democrats will have no choice but support repeal unless they want to send the HC system into chaos. Both of those provisions hinge on the mandate, they cannot exist without it.

National Health Expenditure Projections: Modest Annual Growth Until Coverage Expands And Economic Growth Accelerates

Just triple all of that if the mandate is struck down.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:50 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,530,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahboy79 View Post
this will never happen. I've been waiting for 4 years for Republicans to offer their alternative. All I hear is repeal, repeal, repeal...with no offer to substitute, fix, or provide coverage to those benefiting from the health care law. I hear more of 'it's your own damn fault you don't have coverage' than what to do about millions of people trying to get coverage who are being denied every day.
They think it is affordable. Haven't you heard that it was only been going up since Obamacare.

Old 06-22-2012, 06:55 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
They think it is affordable. Haven't you heard that it was only been going up since Obamacare.

Everyone realizes that there is and has been an issue with HC expenses, you'd have to live under a rock to think otherwise and that is exactly the point. Obamacare does very little to attack those costs, it's adds a lot benefits but doesn't do anything to address the costs.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:40 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,781,638 times
Quote:
I didn't necessarily say that. I did ask what the Republican's plan is to help provide health care for the millions of people without it.
As I thought, you are seeking solutions only from government. No wonder you are so unhappy with every solution you find.

Quote:
How about not allowing health care companies deny plans for pre-existing conditions?
Some people seem to have a very strange view of what insurance companies do. They point to the problem of people who have a pre-existing condition, trying to sign up for new insurance, only to find the insurance companies won't pay for the the treatment for that pre-existing condition.

Of course they won't. That's not what insurance companies do. Whoever said they did?

Insurance is a gambling game where you bet on what will happen in the future. You "bet" that you will get sick or injured, and the company "bets" that you won't. If you get sick or injured, the company pays you the stipulated amount (paying for a portion of your medical treatment etc.), and if you don't, you pay them (premiums). The purpose is to shield you from the "shock" of suddenly and unexpectedly getting hit with huge medical bills... which is why you agreed to the contract.

A pre-existing condition cannot be insured against. It's like betting on the outcome of a horse race that's already been run - there is no "chance" involved, and no "unexpectedness" to the outcome (any more).

Insurance companies are in the business of selling security - the assurance that you won't be suddenly bankrupted by huge medical bills, rehab bills etc. in the future. They do it by insuring huge numbers of people and getting them to each pay relatively small amounts (their premiums) each. They and their clients all know that most of them will never incur the huge medical bills they are worried about. But since no one knows which few people WILL incur them, they are all happy to pay the premiums, for the knowledge they won't have to pay the huge amounts if they turn out to be the unlucky ones.

Insurance companies sell safety from FUTURE possible disasters. And that's all they sell. Asking them to cover pre-existing conditions, is like asking a submarine designer to design a supersonic jet - it's got nothing to do with his business or his area of expertise, and he never volunteered to design jets in the first place, for good reason.

If you want to set up some kind of universal pool to pay for pre-existing conditions, fine, go ahead. But why drag insurance companies into it? It's got nothing to do with their areas of expertise, and they never volunteered to do it in the first place - for good reason.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:00 AM

59,029 posts, read 27,290,738 times
Quote:
this will never happen. I've been waiting for 4 years for Republicans to offer their alternative. All I hear is repeal, repeal, repeal...with no offer to substitute, fix, or provide coverage to those benefiting from the health care law. I hear more of 'it's your own damn fault you don't have coverage' than what to do about millions of people trying to get coverage who are being denied every day.
Personally, I think the fed gov't should stay the hell out of PRIVATE health care. Period!

Old 06-22-2012, 08:22 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,813,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwebbster View Post
Republicans don't have an alternative plan. Even if they had one, they wouldn't bring it out until after this
election. Would be no political advantage for them to do so.
Federal Spending on healthcare, 2000: $467 billion
Federal Spending on healthcare, 2010: $821 billion
Change: +$354 billion

Federal Revenue, 2000: $2.56T
Federal Revenue, 2010: $2.13T
Change: -430 billion

That is a $780 billion turnaround. There is no incentive for a republican to do something about reducing health care costs, and no incentive to increase federal revenues. In fact, higher spending costs and lower revenues, hence greater deficits, are the perfect recipes for their continued push for: Starve the beast. The more they can argue "deficits", the more incentives they have towards their political agenda.

THAT is the republican plan.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:45 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
My health is not dependant on my employer so why should my health insurance?

Old 06-22-2012, 10:39 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,713,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
As I thought, you are seeking solutions only from government. No wonder you are so unhappy with every solution you find.

Some people seem to have a very strange view of what insurance companies do. They point to the problem of people who have a pre-existing condition, trying to sign up for new insurance, only to find the insurance companies won't pay for the the treatment for that pre-existing condition.

Of course they won't. That's not what insurance companies do. Whoever said they did?

Insurance is a gambling game where you bet on what will happen in the future. You "bet" that you will get sick or injured, and the company "bets" that you won't. If you get sick or injured, the company pays you the stipulated amount (paying for a portion of your medical treatment etc.), and if you don't, you pay them (premiums). The purpose is to shield you from the "shock" of suddenly and unexpectedly getting hit with huge medical bills... which is why you agreed to the contract.

A pre-existing condition cannot be insured against. It's like betting on the outcome of a horse race that's already been run - there is no "chance" involved, and no "unexpectedness" to the outcome (any more).

Insurance companies are in the business of selling security - the assurance that you won't be suddenly bankrupted by huge medical bills, rehab bills etc. in the future. They do it by insuring huge numbers of people and getting them to each pay relatively small amounts (their premiums) each. They and their clients all know that most of them will never incur the huge medical bills they are worried about. But since no one knows which few people WILL incur them, they are all happy to pay the premiums, for the knowledge they won't have to pay the huge amounts if they turn out to be the unlucky ones.

Insurance companies sell safety from FUTURE possible disasters. And that's all they sell. Asking them to cover pre-existing conditions, is like asking a submarine designer to design a supersonic jet - it's got nothing to do with his business or his area of expertise, and he never volunteered to design jets in the first place, for good reason.

If you want to set up some kind of universal pool to pay for pre-existing conditions, fine, go ahead. But why drag insurance companies into it? It's got nothing to do with their areas of expertise, and they never volunteered to do it in the first place - for good reason.
Who would you suggest could set these pools up - the government? And if not the government, what should happen to people with existing medical conditions - bankruptcy?

Old 06-22-2012, 10:57 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,166,596 times
Quote:
Then you haven't been listening. Several plan were discussed, the primary one being allowing insurance companies to cross state lines, and offer insurance in multiple states, Increased competition, drives down prices.

It's too bad that your listening with your ears covered, or you would have heard that plan and several other items discussed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies