Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 02:07 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturmgeist View Post
Does the fact that they're White have anything to do with it or is it mainly the money? Would you willingly trade places with a White man similar in looks and socioeconomic status as yourself?
I wouldn't wish that on anyone, not even a White guy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 06:30 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,462,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I wouldn't wish that on anyone, not even a White guy.
I am white and I would never want to be a person of color and the reason I say that is because I am already tired of the horizontal oppression and internalization that happens within the other minority communities I'm a member of. I would never want to add another minority to my plate. I've seen the kind of self-policing that happens within the Black community and wouldn't want to get caught up in all that drama. I know it's not every Black person or person of color who buys into that drama, but enough do, and it's pervasive enough that it's something I wouldn't want to deal with. I'd venture to guess that most of the white people who say they wouldn't mind being black aren't aware of this kind of horizontal oppression that results in communities that have been vertically oppressed. Just today a white person I know well was listening to a story two women of color were having about their elementary school memories of this one girl being teased for being dark-skinned. He was genuinely shocked to find out there is racism within the Black community. IMO I think most white people are clueless about issues within the Black community and among other racial minorities, and hence, don't realize the implications of claiming "I wouldn't mind swapping places with a Black person."

Old 07-24-2012, 06:40 PM

659 posts, read 1,014,782 times
I would never want to be white, they age faster and get fat.

Old 07-25-2012, 03:25 PM

2,699 posts, read 2,411,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ming Ming View Post
I would never want to be white, they age faster and get fat.
Anyone with poor diet and exercising habits will get fat. There are fat blacks, Hispanics, and Asians too, you know.

Old 08-17-2012, 03:28 PM

667 posts, read 516,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimRider View Post
Explore the concept of "manifest destiny" and what affect it had upon our spanish-speaking neighbors of the south.

Explore the concept of slavery and the million upon millions of lives destroyed and the aftermath, just might even be worse yet.
Explore the mutulations in Sudan.

Old 08-17-2012, 03:33 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,573,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Last i remember, the folks in Spain are white. Very white.
I suppose this must mean the folks (volk?) in Scandinavia are very, very, very, very white.

Old 08-17-2012, 03:34 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,573,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimRider View Post
Explore the concept of "manifest destiny" and what affect it had upon our spanish-speaking neighbors of the south.

Explore the concept that "affect" and "effect" mean different things.

Old 08-17-2012, 03:50 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
I'm half white and half hispanic but people regularly assume I'm white because I don't "look" Hispanic. I wouldn't be surprised if that's given me some privilege in day-to-day life.
I'm mixed, too, with a "White-sounding" last name but I totally look like a minority. The last name has limited my encounters with the police during traffic stops to simple tickets and saved me from beatdowns and shakeups many times!!

[i'm kidding - maybe]

Old 08-17-2012, 03:52 PM

5,653 posts, read 5,153,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRisingAgain View Post
I say, if you're white and you hate it, why not just kill yourself?
Because you can learn to live with pretty much everything except your own death?

Old 08-17-2012, 06:47 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,482,709 times
The farther your effect goes over there the further you're affecting their ability to count to two too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies