Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you vote for an Openly Atheist President?
Yes 91 72.22%
No 35 27.78%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 05:09 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,367,033 times

Advertisements

It doesn't matter to me what a candidate's religious views are. I'd be looking at their views on many other subjects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2012, 05:09 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,494,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
I am ready to vote for a President who will uphold the Constitution and exercise his duties and obligations outlined in said document.

I don't care what religion she/he is...as long as he/she doesn't attempt to shove it down our throats.
Can't shove atheism down your throat. There's nothing to shove.

Old 06-24-2012, 05:10 PM

311 posts, read 604,359 times
Since over 90% of Americans believe in God, and around 80% of Americans are Christians - it would be very hard for an atheist to become a president. Maybe, note that I said **maybe** if the openly Atheist candidate promise to not abolish religion, remove 'In God We Trust' as motto, remove Christmas Day as federal holiday and Good Friday as state holiday, and do not take away freedom of religion from us, then some people will vote for the person if he/she is good.

Remember many members on C-D are nonbelievers or might come from a secular/non-religious country, so don't go after the votes if "yes" is the majority.
Sad but true, Atheists are among the most mistrusted people in the U.S.

Old 06-24-2012, 05:10 PM

1,440 posts, read 1,166,572 times
I'll vote for anyone who I think will do the best job.

Old 06-24-2012, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
It doesn't matter to me what a candidate's religious views are. I'd be looking at their views on many other subjects.
There religious views factor in on all of those other subjects. Dubya had "spiritual consultation" every morning and look where that got us.

Old 06-24-2012, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by In God We Trust View Post
Since over 90% of Americans believe in God, and around 80% of Americans are Christians - it would be very hard for an atheist to become a president. Maybe, note that I said **maybe** if the openly Atheist candidate promise to not abolish religion, remove 'In God We Trust' as motto, and do not take away freedom of religion from us, then some people will vote for him if he is good.

Remember many members on C-D are nonbelievers or might come from a secular/non-religious country, so don't go after the votes if "yes" is the majority.
How would he/she "abolish religion"? "In god we trust" has not always been on government currency and should be removed.

Most CD members like most people are believers.

Old 06-24-2012, 05:14 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,714,566 times
Default Atheist presidential candidates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
New poll indicates Americans ready for an atheist President | The Zingularity

I'm not only ready but hoping to be able to vote for an openly atheist Presidential candidate in my lifetime. It's going to be great when we can finally get superstision out of the White House.

I agree. Sometimes atheists are much kinder than those that use their Holy Bible and minister to tell them who to hate. Not all Christians are like that. But it seems to me a mean Christian emphasizes the penalties for sin and the nice Christians emphasize God's love and forgiveness.

I had an atheist professor in college. He said every person is of infinite worth.

Old 06-24-2012, 05:18 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,367,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
There religious views factor in on all of those other subjects. Dubya had "spiritual consultation" every morning and look where that got us.
Best we can do is take their word for it when they tell us "I'm for this, against that". Same as with an atheist candidate (except that at least the theists believe there is a higher power who frowns on dishonesty?) If you want a president that is for or against something specific, vote for one *shrugs*

Old 06-24-2012, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJJG2012 View Post
I agree. Sometimes atheists are much kinder than those that use their Holy Bible and minister to tell them who to hate. Not all Christians are like that. But it seems to me a mean Christian emphasizes the penalties for sin and the nice Christians emphasize God's love and forgiveness.

I had an atheist professor in college. He said every person is of infinite worth.
When a person doesn't expect an eternal massage after they die, they appear more likely to value the life they have and the lives of those around them as we are all interconnected by tangible means.

Old 06-24-2012, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Best we can do is take their word for it when they tell us "I'm for this, against that". Same as with an atheist candidate (except that at least the theists believe there is a higher power who frowns on dishonesty?) If you want a president that is for or against something specific, vote for one *shrugs*
I want a President that makes rational decisions based on facts alone who is not concerned with what he perceives an invisible man in the sky to be frowning at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies