Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 09:27 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,440,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Just so I can be sure I'm understanding you, what do you mean by "terrible" and what do you mean by "lower"?

I stand by everything I said. 90% of the people on this thread should be ashamed, for talking about race AT ALL. It's about being in poverty, which affects everything from the quality/absorption of your education to how likely you are to join a gang. On average, Blacks and Hispanics are making much less than white people, so that and that alone would explain their higher likelihood of involvement in crime. It's just plain annoying to hear of "black people keeping each other down" (no matter who it comes from), when tons of broke white people are doing the exact same thing. Doesn't matter what color you are. If you grew up in a ghetto, you're not as likely to have parents that are doing an all around good job with you as kids in upper-class families. If you grew up in the projects, you've probably seen and been involved in more criminal activity than 99% of the people living in nicer neighborhoods.

That's why people might just call all this "racist", because the attention is being brought to race unnecessarily.
Why do you think there is such an overlap between race and socioeconomic status to begin with?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
You have a lot of racial baggage.

Plus the beaches in NJ are full of whites trying to get a nice deep tan..
Lol, um how? I'm white in America and immigrated to this country in 1993.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:29 PM

33,510 posts, read 18,080,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Just so I can be sure I'm understanding you, what do you mean by "terrible" and what do you mean by "lower"?

I stand by everything I said. 90% of the people on this thread should be ashamed, for talking about race AT ALL. It's about being in poverty, which affects everything from the quality/absorption of your education to how likely you are to join a gang. On average, Blacks and Hispanics are making much less than white people, so that and that alone would explain their higher likelihood of involvement in crime. It's just plain annoying to hear of "black people keeping each other down" (no matter who it comes from), when tons of broke white people are doing the exact same thing. Doesn't matter what color you are. If you grew up in a ghetto, you're not as likely to have parents that are doing an all around good job with you as kids in upper-class families. If you grew up in the projects, you've probably seen and been involved in more criminal activity than 99% of the people living in nicer neighborhoods.

That's why people might just call all this "racist", because the attention is being brought to race unnecessarily.
I grew up poor but we worked hard not to be poor. Since when does being poor give a license to steal or take drugs. I have also known blacks who were afraid of their own and wish to live in a white neighborhood because of that fact.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:31 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,212,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
But how can you take responsibility for anyone who doesn't even live in your neighborhood? Something I have to tell you. When my father moved his family and me out of a bad neighborhood, he didn't look back. He didn't want his children growing up around that kind of environment. He had to take responsibility for his family. He moved us into a different neighborhood so that we could get away from "hoodrats".

But here is something to ask: Please explain taking responsibility for the race? Why not the individual?
Your father is someone I would like to meet and talk about the problems the races have with one another. I do think that I would have more respect for him, from the sound of your story than most other men of either race. He did what he had to do for his family and that is the place to begin.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Not at all, constantly comparing Blacks and Hispanics to Whites and citing stats about the crime rate among Blacks makes you pro-Black.

People should call you Shaft!!!!
Why don't you just do that? Maybe my race is a good reason for not doing that. Shaft wasn't an Uncle Tom was he?

Old 06-25-2012, 09:35 PM

33,510 posts, read 18,080,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Lol, um how? I'm white in America and immigrated to this country in 1993.
You are remarking about shades of skin. I think a very dark black person is quite beautiful and rare. Black is very beautiful and with a beautiful spirit inside is very valuable, more precious than diamonds and pearls. I don't understand why anyone would think that lighter skin is better. We are all beautiful.

Some just need a better spirit and live a more positive life.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
I opened this thread and KNEW it was going to be about something 'black this or black that.' don't these people ever get tired of talking about blacks?? Why don't they get onto another minority for once, seriously. I am tired of all this unnecessary and often ridiculous attention placed on our communities and skin color. Every other day we have to be reminded by whites or others that we're black.

Newsflash: we know.
Did you read the link in the OP? I really wonder since I didn't see a lot of what you are saying there. I opened the thread thinking that finally we could discuss some of the ideas in it but certain people just never manage to avoid threads like this and it becomes what you say you see.

If you like I will post only in the threads about homosexuals. I avoid those things because I don't like to be called a homophobe. I really don't like to be called a racist just because I don't like Obama but it happens all the time. I just don't know many black people who I don't like as much as any others because those I do get around are mostly from rural settings like the one I live in. HOwever, some black people just won't try to discuss things that need discussing and some don't read thread opening links.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:41 PM

Quote:
You are remarking about shades of skin. I think a very dark black person is quite beautiful and rare. Black is very beautiful and with a beautiful spirit inside is very valuable, more precious than diamonds and pearls. I don't understand why anyone would think that lighter skin is better. We are all beautiful.

Some just need a better spirit and live a more positive life.
That's great. The point is most people don't, and the institutional-level mentality that "lighter is better" is damaging to a lot of Black people. The people who view Black as Beautiful are still in the minority and do not have enough of a voice in the media and product design to fairly represent people of all skin complexions. As a result, there are a lot of dark-skinned people who are still incredibly self-conscious about their darker features because they are constantly subconsciously bombarded with the message that "lighter is better" every time they shop or watch TV.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Hard to say "racism" when it's the TRUTH.
I think you have used that reply on me before.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:42 PM

72,875 posts, read 62,373,317 times
Quote:
All kind of people steal. One doesn't have to be poor to steal. I have been poor and never thought of stealing.. I would rather do without than steal and have my dignity and not worry about a cop knocking at my door .

And if one is so poor how come the people in ghettos buy drugs? Yes , they steal.
People who love money and things more than they do people will steal. In this instance, the "look out for number 1 and forget everyone else" mentality kicks in, and at the worst possible time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies