Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you suffer from White Guilt?
Yes 16 5.65%
No 267 94.35%
Voters: 283. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 09:42 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,233,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
No such thing.........

I agree that you should not feel guilty for who you are, but you should at least acknowledge that whites do have privilege in this society.
Blacks have privileges too. Many would say they have more... those whites who didn't gain access to colleges because quotas had to be met... those who didn't get jobs because quotas had to be met.... A young Hispanic once propositioned me to go into business with him as a partner. He admitted that he didn't have the experience nor knowledge that I did, but his argument was that he was Hispanic, and that would get us extra business, especially from the government and from large corporations that had quotas to fill. It was a valid point, but I declined.

I don't really get this poor, poor pitiful me thinking. Life for me hasn't all been a big bowl of cherries, but I've never blamed that on any group or race of people. Life is life. I am who I am, and I'm thankful that I am. I've never seriously wished that I had been born to money nor fame nor a different heritage.

And no, I don't feel guilt for my ancestors nor whites in general. If I did, it would be more for how they treated the Native American Indians, but I feel no guilt there either. And I don't look for pity because my ancestors were poor Irish emigrants. They worked hard. My parents worked hard. I've worked hard. Not much has been handed to me on a silver platter, and I don't expect it ever will be.

Old 06-28-2012, 01:09 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Slaves weren't used on the railroads because they were valuable.

Again, how far back do we go? My ancestors were undoubtably the slaves of Romans, is that too far back? Why?
After Irish immigration became a flood and they worked for very little, southerners used gangs of Irish to dig the canals and other jobs which frequesntly killed and injured the workers. Slaves had value. The Irish were paid a small pitance so it was cheaper and they were easily replaced.

All along the railroads are graves where the bodies of those killed in explosions gone wrong or landslides were simply buried without benifit of marker or record. Disposable bodies to be used up.

If I'm supposed to feel guilty over my ancestores, does that include the one who came as an transported convict?

It sure would be nice if we talked about how during the time when black slavery evolved from white indenture, the general rule was to exploit the poor and unwanted. As far as the british were concerned that was most of Ireland and any of the poor in England and Scotland.

The 1600's to the 1800's were all about using the poor and unwanted being taken advantage of because they were not seen as having any real value except that. Whatever label was applied.

Last edited by nightbird47; 06-28-2012 at 01:39 AM..

Old 06-28-2012, 01:30 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,884,808 times
I think what most blacks fail to understand is most whites do not self-identify as white. Yes, if forced to check ethnicity on a form I will check white, but that is all I have in common with millions of others in this country. Blacks, due to their history, identify as black.

Whites included abolitionists and slave owners in the antebellum era. I feel no personal pride because some whites were abolitionists or shame because some whites were slaveowners.

Old 06-28-2012, 01:51 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Uh; take it up with Blacks people who came here as free men and women from Africa. They as a group blow the doors off American Blacks and many anglo whites and MOST Africans are quite dark skined.
I used to tutor in college and we had a number of immigrants, including a lot of asians. But it didn't matter where they came from. Without exception, they were the people who listened, and studied and put their all in excelling in school. Some of the vietnamese hadn't been here for more than a year and spoke beautiful, careful English. They were some of the better writers. The more 'ethnic' the citizens were, the less they wanted out of their comfort zone. I think this would be true of immigrants in general is that they *know* they have a good thing and wish to get all they can out of it.

Perspective is everything.

Old 06-28-2012, 04:06 AM

2,523 posts, read 2,202,828 times
I wish the people of this country would realize they have a lot more in common that what they think.

Old 06-28-2012, 05:11 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,751,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySwelly View Post
You're kidding, right?

I'm gonna assume you are white. That immediately takes you out of any consideration of whether or not those descriptions are true. That poster is white, if I remember correctly, but he has experienced these things with other black people.

I can say that these kind of things happened to me. I remember times of hearing my white friends say it was harder for them to get a scholarship after me telling them that I got a full-ride. I then told them that I worked my a$$ off to get that scholarship and scored in the top 99% of ALL students not just black. Every achievement is through AA, right? AFAIK, there has never been a single time when AA got me a position or accomplishment. I have walked into a store and been followed by owners, to the point where I started going with my white friends so they would leave me alone.

White guilt? Shouldn't exist. Most of the people living today didn't do anything, and IMO they shouldn't worry about their ancestors because they had no control over them. However, the white privilege does exist, just not for all white people. It helps to be wealthier and have a good location. But being white is definitely a good quality to have.

Bringing up coal miners in Appalachia is attempt to equate whites to the rest of minorities when we know that most suburban whites (which is most representative of the U.S. population) are faring decently in everyday life. There might be a few privileges to being black, but not nearly as many and not nearly as beneficial as being white.

White people who try and downplay it really just don't know what they are talking about. They do not know what it is like to be a minority, and really shouldn't speculate on what goes on with them.
I think white privilege is nothing more than minorities feeling insecure because they have to compete with a majority population , life is a hell of a lot different when viewed from the bottom up. If white privilege exists, I don't think there is much you can do about it, since white people go about their lives without even giving thought to it. If you want to wallow in victimhood, have at it, because we are moving on with or without you.

Old 06-28-2012, 06:12 AM

71 posts, read 73,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
I think white privilege is nothing more than minorities feeling insecure because they have to compete with a majority population , life is a hell of a lot different when viewed from the bottom up. If white privilege exists, I don't think there is much you can do about it, since white people go about their lives without even giving thought to it. If you want to wallow in victimhood, have at it, because we are moving on with or without you.
You hit it on the head. Yes, as long as there is majority and minority scenario, as it is in almost every modern country due to movements of population, minorities will feel insecure. It makes sens to remember however that if you are a minority you do not have a choice but to adapt to the majority.
Given that whites established, fought for and built this country I am afraid to see the day when whites stop being a majority in the US. Whatever it is worth it is the whites that led this country this country to success.
Let's not forget about it and stop the apologists and PC crazies revise the history and tell us otherwise.

Old 06-28-2012, 06:15 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,985,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
That's a funny post. White people (Government in particular) have caused blacks to have a culture with many ills because of oppression, discrimination and just flat out evil treatment, and you want to go back and blame black men.

It's 2012. I as a white person have done absolutely nothing to keep you or any other black people down. Please stop with the victim mentality.

Old 06-28-2012, 06:16 AM

71 posts, read 73,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Oh yes, the government makes them take drugs, and have many babies by many different women and they don't take care of them. I thought the government was the good guy who gave welfare and foodstamps and let them do as they want in their spare time .. by the liberals standard.

This policy of entitlement may be the worst thing that the government did to the Black population: welfare system created welfare mothers and promoted attitude of entitlement among Blacks. Some people, that ironically always present themselves as friends of Black population, would like to see the Blacks as prisoners of welfare funded poverty. There are however Black leaders who see the things the way they really area.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:23 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,899,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I used to tutor in college and we had a number of immigrants, including a lot of asians. But it didn't matter where they came from. Without exception, they were the people who listened, and studied and put their all in excelling in school. Some of the vietnamese hadn't been here for more than a year and spoke beautiful, careful English. They were some of the better writers. The more 'ethnic' the citizens were, the less they wanted out of their comfort zone. I think this would be true of immigrants in general is that they *know* they have a good thing and wish to get all they can out of it.

Perspective is everything.
I catch what you're saying. I used to know a lady from a country near Vietnam; came here when she was 10 and 30 years later def talked like a regular American. She had a teeny accent but sounded like she was more "Southern" than anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies