Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 02:39 PM

798 posts, read 1,034,432 times

Advertisements

2 opinions on why America is not as intellectually sound as it should be:

1. Education: I went to grade school in the 2000s. From what my parents and those older than me have described, the current system is shameful. Kids get away with way too much and parents defend the kid rather than the teacher. I remember a number of instances when kids were fighting for the lowest grade. And you would guess that parents don't care that their kids are failing, doing drugs, having kids, etc.

2. Media: No one thinks for themselves anymore. They just grab onto a media station and then stroke their own ego from what they hear. If something goes wrong, it's the other side's fault. Instead of looking at the situation as a whole, people are just quick to point fingers and throw out insults. The politicians and the media know what they are doing. They spit out this stuff because people eat it up like french fries -- one side to defend it and the other side to dispute it.

IMO people need to stop voting "Republican" or "Democrat." Not sure how to change that, but I think that would be a sure sign of intellectual promise. Rather than voting for party, we need to vote for ideas...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 02:42 PM

640 posts, read 717,612 times
I think the answer is more complex than a simple, "it's politics", the Left or the Right. I do however think that the polarization of America is a component. I remember reading about George Wallace in the south and his sort of "everyman", populist campaigning style and that was well before the rise of talk radio.

Popular culture certainly hasn't helped. I'd imagine it's pretty rare to find a musical composition over 4 minutes, a trend that probably started with bebop jazz and early rock. Obviously the content of much of that fare isn't usually intellectual by any means.

Television is, at best, pablum...pick a sitcom and pick your stereotypes all conveniently boiled down into quick, non-thought provoking sections.

Advances in technology can often equate to advances in self-centeredness. Time is of finite quantity and all the time spent exploring the wonderously vapid world of Facebook means less time spent engaging oneself intellectually.

People like to compartmentalize things and there are quite a few opportunities to do so without having to be bothered to look up anything resembling facts or information. By no means do I mean to come off like some Luddite in a cave but basically humans are Garbage In-Garbage Out creations and folks should be aware of what they're feeding themselves.

Old 06-26-2012, 02:53 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,857,513 times
Pseudo-intellectualism is funnier than anti-intellectualism.

At least anti-intellectuals don't pretend to be intelligent. Pseudo-intellectuals create things like global warming and Fareed Zakaria.

Old 06-26-2012, 03:24 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,280,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
It is a little sad to see the rise of anti-intellectualism in the U.S.

You see it everyday on CD and on Television. The villanization of true science and the hate directed toward academia.

Politicians act as the champions of the common folk while at the same time portraying educated individuals as being elitist and detached from the real world.

We have seen this before and it did not have a happy ending.

It is very common with the rise of Authoritarian regimes such as:

Cambodia - Under the Khmer Rhouge where teachers were gathered together and executed.
Italy - under fascism
Germany - under Hitler

Even more alarming is the arrogance about that lack of knowledge. The problem is not just the things we do not know (consider the one in five American adults who, according to the National Science Foundation, thinks the sun revolves around the Earth); it's the alarming number of Americans who have smugly concluded that they do not need to know such things in the first place.

Our culture seems to be going in the wrong direction.
And of course your post is the result of a lengthy and comprehensive scientific study.

Old 06-26-2012, 05:03 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,289,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post
Pseudo-intellectualism is funnier than anti-intellectualism.

At least anti-intellectuals don't pretend to be intelligent. Pseudo-intellectuals create things like global warming and Fareed Zakaria.
Anti-intellectuals embrace their ignorance and wear it like a badge of honor.

The dumber, the better. Pseudo-intellectuals are pretentious snobs. Both can kiss my Ghanian behind.

GOP presidential candidates claim that Satan has taken over higher education, so let's stay stupid

Santorum: Satan is Systematically Destroying America - YouTube

Old 06-26-2012, 05:26 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,304,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
It is a little sad to see the rise of anti-intellectualism in the U.S.

You see it everyday on CD and on Television. The villanization of true science and the hate directed toward academia.

Politicians act as the champions of the common folk while at the same time portraying educated individuals as being elitist and detached from the real world.

We have seen this before and it did not have a happy ending.

It is very common with the rise of Authoritarian regimes such as:

Cambodia - Under the Khmer Rhouge where teachers were gathered together and executed.
Italy - under fascism
Germany - under Hitler

Even more alarming is the arrogance about that lack of knowledge. The problem is not just the things we do not know (consider the one in five American adults who, according to the National Science Foundation, thinks the sun revolves around the Earth); it's the alarming number of Americans who have smugly concluded that they do not need to know such things in the first place.

Our culture seems to be going in the wrong direction.
I knew it! How could I have guessed?

An itellectual to you is someone who believes as you do. An "anti-intellectual" is one who rejects someting like "global warming"!

An "intellectual" always accepts what is popular. They never question anything.

An "anti-intellectual" questions boldly. We don't just accept something because "you" say it is so.

Thanks for posting this. It is just more proof of the arrogance of the left!

Old 06-27-2012, 06:22 AM

798 posts, read 1,034,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
I knew it! How could I have guessed?

An itellectual to you is someone who believes as you do. An "anti-intellectual" is one who rejects someting like "global warming"!

An "intellectual" always accepts what is popular. They never question anything.

An "anti-intellectual" questions boldly. We don't just accept something because "you" say it is so.

Thanks for posting this. It is just more proof of the arrogance of the left!
What is sad is that a person can make a political argument out of just about anything. There was absolutely NOTHING in the original post about global warming. I couldn't get a feel for the OP's political view at all. For all we know, they could be calling the current POTUS an "authoritarian regime."

I think this is part of what they are getting at. People shouldn't be thinking "left vs. right". There is a much bigger picture here than just the traditional view of "that's the opposing party." We should consider all options and look at all the fact presented; that is what an intellectual does.

Old 06-27-2012, 06:52 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
It's the left that has dumbed down the schools because it's not fair to expect every student to learn calculus and physics in order to graduate. It's not fair to have admission standards in the universities because then not everyone can get a college degree so they can have a high paying job. The left is more in favor of tenure, and teachers unions that keep incompetent teachers and professors in their jobs.

Old 06-27-2012, 06:55 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,196,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
More young Americans are completing high school and pursuing higher education now than ever before, though education standards do seem to have dumbed down quite a bit. Really, I think you are a little paranoid.
There is also the irritating trend of labeling people that you don't agree with as delusional.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:07 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,818,961 times
When "intellectuals" can actually get a good idea across to the common man that is helpful they will stop their own decline. So far egg heads with great degrees and lots of credits as for their intelligence- have not done much good- If they could maybe refine their speech and simplify it...take those ideas and have them utilized in a pragmatic manner- then- these men and woman might be of some use- other than just being intellectuals they might actually become a thing called WISE- wisdom is sorely needed and we are not getting it.

Perfect example of a useful intellectual was Jesus the Christ- this guy knew how to communicate- how to tell a story using a parable if need be. His intellect proved useful for the next 2000 years- It built empires...but of course the typical intellectual believes that his first means of gaining credibility is to discredit who ever they can through so-called debate- argument never solved a problem...nor does debate- It would be nice if intellectuals could become statesmen and woman- and make useful statements.

Nothing more disgusting than a group of intellectuals who are all making six figure salaries - who debate- then pat each other on the back and walk away with no real solution to anything...You intellectuals get what you deserve- obscurity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies