Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 09:11 AM

17,290 posts, read 29,349,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick2dascript View Post
Discrimination over a job then yes you have a point but if a group of people came to America and started having sex with animals should they protest and be able to make the government make a law acceptable for all Americans to have sex with animals?

Everyone cant take just come here and do as they please and bully the government into giving them their way.

What an absurd argument.

Animals cannot consent to sex with humans!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 09:17 AM

18,408 posts, read 31,529,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adiosToreador View Post
Incorrect. Marriage is a SECULAR arrangement with a CIVIL CONTRACT issued forth by the GOVERNMENT. Religion didn't come along until WELL after marriage was around.

It is a legal contract to be recognized as this or that person's life partner whether they be straight or gay and you only have an issue with it because "it's icky".

Please.

exactly !!!

forget the religion crapola

it is for security of 2 people.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:17 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,163,029 times
Quote:
Discrimination over a job then yes you have a point but if a group of people came to America and started having sex with animals should they protest and be able to make the government make a law acceptable for all Americans to have sex with animals?

Everyone cant take just come here and do as they please and bully the government into giving them their way.
It is the legal ability to enter into a contract. A man can enter into a marriage contract with a woman, but a woman can't.
An animal can't enter into a contract with anyone as it is:
1) not a legal citizen. and
2) not legally able to consent.

The same goes for Toasters, lawn mowers, trees, fences, national monuments, any other inanimate object, and those who are unable to give legal consent due to age.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:22 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,890,984 times
Quote:

In 29 states it is legal to fire a person for being gay.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/13/opinion/13sun2.html

Old 06-27-2012, 09:35 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,378,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I'd like to see how firmly you'd hold yourself to this belief if it were your rights being denied.
What right are you being denied? Are you referring to having your perversion codified in law?

Old 06-27-2012, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
What right are you being denied? Are you referring to having your perversion codified in law?

If you haven't figured it out by this point, you're either willfully ignorant or just plain dumb.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:43 AM

799 posts, read 1,030,888 times
Again, it's a WORD. Religious people don't want their word corrupted. So use a different one that provides all of the same benefits. Appease both parties. One side gets to keep the word they want sacred. The other side gets all the benefits of being in a "marriage/union/together/whatever".

Old 06-27-2012, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySwelly View Post
Again, it's a WORD. Religious people don't want their word corrupted.
SOME religious people, of certain religions.

The institution of marriage predates the Abrahamic religions. They didn't invent it. They don't own it. That they're the loudest bunch of whiners with huge persecution and martyrdom complexes does not confer any special authority on THEIR definition of marriage vs. OTHER definitions of marriage!

It's why we call it "CIVIL" Marriage in the first place.... and AS IF everyone in the world (outside the stubborn religious) isn't going to refer to a "civil union" as a MARRIAGE anyway! Or as if people don't ALREADY refer to Ellen's wife, or Neil Patrick Harris' husband! Why fight a battle where the ending is clear? Brownie points to get into heaven? Feel good being a righteous soldier of GAWD?

Old 06-27-2012, 10:12 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,745,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySwelly View Post
What laws? These are three words that will describe the same thing. Laws will state that these are all equal in the eyes of the government, all will receive the same benefits, etc.

What is hard about calling it marriage is that several religious people don't want their definition of marriage "corrupted." As I said before, I am Christian and I don't care. It does not corrupt it for me. If I do get married, marriage will be a word that strictly defines what exists between me and my wife. Nothing else matters IMO.

If a multitude of new laws can end this senseless bickering, I am all for it. Right now, we are fighting over a word. Take the word out of the equation and set up an institution that caters to all. If marriage is a religious word then gays should not care if a different word is used but the same benefits are given. If they do, well, then we are back to square one. Again, personally I could care less.
Every law that exists that in any way describes marriage or confers rights and/or privileges to married couples would have to be rewritten to include an new terms for marriage. For instance, the laws and IRS regulations that allow a couple to file their taxes as married would all have to be rewritten and the tax form itself would have to be altered. The immigration laws that allow a person to sponsor a spouse that allows said spouse to move to this country would have to be rewritten as well as any and all laws/regulations that go along with it. And those are just the beginning. Do you realize the time it would take to reword all of the laws in this country that have anything to do with marriage? Not to mention the expense. I'm Christian as well and I see no problem with simply allowing adults to make up their own minds who they want to marry. And calling it marriage will in no way affect, much less invalidate, the 28 years of marriage my late husband and I enjoyed.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:28 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,404,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexiana View Post
A commonly held (and quickly diminishing) opinion, this belief has had wide and far-reaching implications on the lives of millions upon millions of LGBT people across the world.

I don't think anyone can understand what it is like to be discriminated against unless they have been discriminated against themselves. Most of the people that practice discrimination have not experienced the discrimination they dish out.

I know what it is like to be discriminated against for being a woman, black, and gay. Although I have no idea what's it's like for older people, people with physical or mental disabilities, or immigrants. However, because of my baseline experiences as triple minority, I can understand what it is like to be discriminated against in general.

We are treated as lesser beings than those that are supposedly the "right" people, those that have the right skin color, national origin, physical attributes, mental faculties, sexual orientation, religion, etc. in the USA, the "right" people are white, straight, and Christian. All the rest of us are "less" than they are.

Those that are "right", don't have a clear understanding, to say the least, of what it is like to be considered "less" than they are. They have experienced most everything good that our society has to offer just because they were born with all the "right" stuff and have all the "right" beliefs. The laws and norms are all in their favor.

It is amazing to me that those that think less of others so often are the perpetrators of the discriminatory behavior, the violence, hatred, bigotry--all of which is regularly posted on this forum--that will maintain their power over all those that are not "right".

How often do the ones that are discriminated against create the violence as opposed to those that feel they are the "right" ones? The "right" ones are most often the ones that start the vitriolic speech and do the violent acts against those that are not "right".

I am sick and tired of a government that panders to a mouth breathing, backwards, and hypocritical "religious right", while bullied gay teens commit suicide. These kids are killing themselves because everyone is tacitly endorsing these homophobes by not taking a stand against them.
Based on how you prefer to have sex and which gender you prefer to have sex with you're a sexual minority? Sexual minority. OK. Name all the other sexual minorities on the planet, that's where you fit in.

By the way, all kinds of people commit suicide, gay teens, non-gay teens, fat teens, skinny teens, punked out teens, surfer teens, etc. If you don't know how to cope with life you believe that's the way out. It's got nothing to do with the poor tortured "gay" teen.

Why are gays constantly backing themselves into a corner proclaiming that their rights have been infringed upon?

Nobody would care if you weren't shouting about how gay you are 24 hours a day. Why the love affair with narcissism? Why the "look at me, I'm gay" 24 hours a day?

We know you're gay, you've told us over 100,000 times in the last hour. We get it.

So the "left" thinks you're all a-o.k. while the "right" wants to take away your rights to screw the same sex?

You're kidding right?

When you speak of "rights" you mean "right to marry". Correct? Because there's no rights that heteros have that gays don't already have.

Quote:
Does a homosexual person have less “rights” than a heterosexual person in virtue of their sexual desire? Of course not. A heterosexual person can marry an eligible member of the opposite sex of their choice. The same-sex attracted person has the exact same “right”. If they say they don’t want to marry someone of the opposite sex, then my response is that they don’t have to.
Do Homosexuals Have Equal Rights?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies