Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 05:30 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,151,593 times

Advertisements

Well.... did it ever exist on here or has it always been like it is now with almost every topic becoming often erroneously linked to a political mindset?

Almost everything becomes "Well what do you expect from the Right/Left/Democrats/Republicans/Liberals/Conservatives etc. etc." and this includes comments on a posters assumed affiliations even if the poster hasn't made a comment with a political bias.

Have people lost the ability to think for themselves without putting everything in a box or do some people seem to think that a box removes the need to form and validate their own opinion?

Old 06-27-2012, 05:32 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,292,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
Well.... did it ever exist on here or has it always been like it is now with almost every topic becoming often erroneously linked to a political mindset?

Almost everything becomes "Well what do you expect from the Right/Left/Democrats/Republicans/Liberals/Conservatives etc. etc." and this includes comments on a posters assumed affiliations even if the poster hasn't made a comment with a political bias.

Have people lost the ability to think for themselves without putting everything in a box or do some people seem to think that a box removes the need to form and validate their own opinion?
I consider myself fairly middle of the road, but to some on this board I'm a flaming leftist. Oh well, let them believe what they like. I try to ignore those types anyway because there is no give and take.

Old 06-27-2012, 05:42 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,192,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I consider myself fairly middle of the road, but to some on this board I'm a flaming leftist. Oh well, let them believe what they like. I try to ignore those types anyway because there is no give and take.
I respect many points of view (not all) but I try to respond politely even if I strongly disagree. Insults have become so common that it is almost impossible to carry on a constructive debate. The default position if someone disagrees is often that the other party is delusional, ignorant, bigoted, etc., which pretty much kills a debate. Many are not here to debate an issue, but rather to attack a position on an issue. We are just not a very civilized society anymore.

Old 06-27-2012, 05:48 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,292,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I respect many points of view (not all) but I try to respond politely even if I strongly disagree. Insults have become so common that it is almost impossible to carry on a constructive debate. The default position if someone disagrees is often that the other party is delusional, ignorant, bigoted, etc., which pretty much kills a debate. Many are not here to debate an issue, but rather to attack a position on an issue. We are just not a very civilized society anymore.
I agree.

I do not believe those who think differently than me are bad or evil people but I cannot carry on a conversation with someone who ignores facts or has a position based on "just because".

Old 06-27-2012, 05:53 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,044,413 times
There are truths which are self evident.

You cannot spend more than you take in without creating financial problems.

You cannot sit and do nothing and expect positive results.

There is no "fairness" or "equality of outcome".

Everyone has their own God given talents, skills and abilities. Being brave enough to pursue these gifts is often difficult. Successful people have the guts.

Every action has an equal and opposite reaction.

These are not conservative principles.

They are truths.

Old 06-27-2012, 05:57 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,446,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post

I am curious, what did you expect to find in a "politics and other controversies" forum, a polite exchange of Betty Crocker recipes?

If the topic does not involve politics or other controversies, then it does not belong in this forum. It seems pretty self-explanatory to me. Perhaps you can explain your confusion.

Old 06-27-2012, 05:57 AM

556 posts, read 622,535 times
I am interested is hearing real reasons behind the opinions of the forum posters.
i believe that jokersters or organized propaganda cells have taken over.
It's come to the point that I just read over the topic threads and get discouraged.
I am especially discouraged by the some/all topics, and the baiting topics.
Even the topics that start out objective soon deteriorate to blather.

Old 06-27-2012, 06:01 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,044,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanalsLB View Post
I am interested is hearing real reasons behind the opinions of the forum posters.
It's come to the point that I just read over the topic threads and get discouraged.
That's human nature.

Old 06-27-2012, 06:03 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,850,288 times
It's a tough place to be a Centrist. In this forum as well as in our Government.

Old 06-27-2012, 06:07 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,192,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanalsLB View Post
Ha! You're on to them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies